Is Heart pacemaker compatible w/magnetic tank bag?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great advice Ionbeam, Also all of us Borg riders should be careful around large audio speakers...I got a dolly so I could get my Marshall combo around without the magnets getting too close. My doctor at the time was absolutely against my returning to motorcycling in any form...Most docs are against 'em I guess but there are some physicians that ride I'm sure.

And thanks 6mm...the law firms stopped hasseling me when they realized I didnt have any reverse lights on my '62 Caddy ambulance :blink: ( My ICD checked good ) !

Blessings,

Bobby

BobbyBlue, very true most docs are dead set against motorcycle riding. However I heard an interview with Flash Gordon the Doc/Author of "Blood,sweat and gears" and he said that in the SF ER he was a doc, most of the other ER docs rode. I suspect it is related to the way we are wired, riders tend to enjoy the rush and the adrenaline high ( do we really need 145 HP bikes to tour?) I suspect it is the same with docs, they gravitate towards specialties based on similar thinking.

It is settled. I talked to my Cardiologist today and he said in is unlikely that I would have any problem but said if there was an alternative to a bag with magnets he would recommend I go that route so that is what I will do. Thanks again to everyone for their input.

'course models H177 & H179 were recalled for battery defects.

https://www.access-media.net/guidant-recall/defects.htm

sorry

just trying to help

Nice constructive addition, dumbdick. I suppose there is no coincidence that what you posted was from an ambulance chasing lawyer's firm?? Or do you just believe everything you read in print - in which circumstance there is some prime property in my backyard you'll truly be interested in...

The lawyers and the media have considerable blood on their hands for inappropriately scaring innocent patients and families, causing unnecessary surgeries and increasing patients' risk of complications as a result. Oh, BTW, do you know how many of the lawsuits that were filed against all device manufacturers actually went anywhere? Hardly any - including personal and class action suits. Lots of hype, but when it came down to it, there wasn't any meat in that sandwich. Everyone wants to blame the big-bad money grubbing medical companies, but perhaps saving lives is something we actually do while we are making a profit??

The real science of the matter is that no - these devices are not perfect. They are electronic machines, made by humans, put in the harsh environment of the human body, interfacing with cardiac tissue which beats 200 million times over the 5 years of a typical device's life. And the real science will show you that these devices are highly reliable, and failures are tightly tracked, modeled, and mitigated. In the case of this specific model, H179 - 23,000 were implanted, only 11 exhibited an inability to continue therapy, and overall have maintained 98.81% confirmed reliability. And lest anyone think I am biased to the manufacturer of this specific device, I would tell you that the science is compelling for all manufacturers' devices, even those which received recalls for failures that were orders of magnitude higher. If you are interested, check out the manufacturer's website. For BobbyBlue, you can look up all about your device's reliability history here and even look up your specific device here.

I would venture that anyone who values their life would take those odds over the very high certainty of dying from sudden cardiac death, or worse, heart failure. I'll go ahead and bet that BobbyBlue is not running around the block with his 14% ejection fraction - but is content nonetheless that the technology exists to help improve his quality of life and possibly save it . BTW, ejection fraction refers to how much blood your heart pushes out with each stroke - 55% is normal - so you can figure out what BobbyBlue is dealing with.

And another thing BobbyBlue: get your device checked at your doctor or clinic. Every three months is preferred for defibrillators. There are fine tunings that come sometimes be performed which can extend the device's life. If you need a clinic name, including one that may do it at no cost, call 1-800-CARDIAC or PM me. If it starts beeping before then, it is telling you you are due for replacement.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot: Sorry, just trying to help.

-BD

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW - I have a magnet-stuck tankbag. I put my wallet, cell phone, PDA (doubles as my mp3 player) and various other small electronic things in the bag. None have been adversely affected.

You've already decided on a non-magnet bag, and I think wisely so. While none of my gadgets are showing adverse affects right now, who knows what prolonged exposure might do??

my, I got you all twisted up there I guess.

You did not like my reference, well it was just the first one I could copy and did not realize it was a lawyer's website.

Below I copy another from WebMD, a better source for you I hope.

I mentioned the event because the patient indicated he has not had a check up for 3 years.

The date of the public notification was 2006 so he might not be aware he has a potential concern since he states he has not had followup for 3 years.

I hoped this would spark him into seeking follow up given this information.

I am glad you have been able to alleviate his concerns with your knowledge.

Recall of Guidant Pacemakers, ICDs

Thousands of Patients Implanted With Possibly Faulty Heart Devices

By Miranda Hitti

WebMD Health News Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

June 27, 2006 -- Boston Scientific says 27,200 patients -- 13,800 in the U.S. -- have been implanted with possibly faulty heart devices made by its recently acquired subsidiary, Guidant.

The devices contain a faulty capacitor that may cause them to fail. Five failures have been reported -- four in patients already implanted, and one during the implant operation. None of these patients died, although two pacemaker patients fainted when their devices lost power.

Boston Scientific is recalling:

Some Insignia and Nexus pacemakers

Contak Renewal TR and TR 2 cardiac resynchronization pacemakers

Ventak Prizm 2, Vitality, and Vitality 2 ICDs (implantable cardioverter defibrillators)

Warning Letters

Last Friday, the company sent warning letters to doctors and patients. The letters advise patients implanted with these devices to see their doctor as soon as possible. It's not yet clear how many of the devices are faulty.

Company policy, subject to some restrictions, offers a replacement device at no cost and up to $2,500 in unreimbursed medical expenses.

Boston Scientific says it is still investigating the failures, and will promptly provide patients and doctors with any new information.

In a Monday news conference, Boston Scientific said it expects additional recalls of Guidant heart devices. The current recall is the second. Last month, the company announced that nearly 1,000 Guidant heart devices had a defect that could cause their batteries to fail.

Boston Scientific recently acquired Guidant after a bidding war with Johnson & Johnson.

"Boston Scientific believes in notifying physicians in a timely, transparent, and responsible manner," Boston Scientific CEO Jim Tobin said, in a news release.

Oh, and please..it's Dr. Dumbdick, F.A.C.S.

thank you

It is very easy to swipe a broad brush and paint a pretty story - journalists do it every day. Great when you want to add flavor to the truth to sell newspapers and drive ratings, not so great when it negatively affects people's health and leads them to decisions which actually increases their risk/benefit.

If you are a indeed a physician, I think it is dissappointing that you of all people are referencing media disseminated information rather than relaying clinical evidence based in scientific research or facts. Or more concerning, perhaps you are making therapeutic decisions for your own patients based on what you read in the common media rather than bonafide, peer reviewed medical journals and outlets, the FDA, or the original submitter of the communication?

-BD

You is da man Bobby! 9 heart attacks and a quad by 42 ? fuk I don't feel so bad all of a sudden. I've but three attacks and only... a.. oh shit, I guess a quad too. But I'm months away from fidy....
The old fukers here thank ya.

:jester:
Jeebus you are old. No wonder you forget shit :blink: . Maybe I shouldn't pick on you. I wouldn't want someone claiming elder abuse! :p

I am considering getting a tank bag but I have a heart pacemaker. I cannot go through the magnetic devices at airports and must be hand searched. I do not know the strength of the magnets in tank bags but I do on occasion lean over the tank while riding. I would not want to change the mode my pacemaker is in while flying along the highway. I do use a magnet when doing telephone check ups on the pacemaker but the tech always confirms that it has returned to the proper mode before we hang up.
Therefore my question is does anyone have any experience or knowledge as to the possible affects of the magnets in the tank bag on a pacemaker if you get them too close to your pacemaker?

This is my first attempt at initiating a thread and I hope I have placed it in the proper catagory. If not I guess everyone can pile on next Friday or possibly sooner.

I am a cardiologist who implants these devices. I have a fair amount of experience (more than 1000 implants and a large pacemaker clinic). It is perfectly safe to have a magnetic tank bag. Even if you were pacer-dependant (meaning you have no intrinsic rhythm and you heart will not beat without the pacemaker), and if the magnet is in immediate contact with the skin over the pacer, the only thing that will happen is asynchronous pacing. The device will pace irrespective of your own heart rhythm. Some patients can feel that, but it is extremely unlikely you lose consciousness. It will be like having a pacemaker check. ICD's and BiVICD's are a different animal and are more prone to issues with electromagnetic energy, mostly related to turning the sensing off ( they will not shock). Both Medtronic and BS/Guidant had lead and/or battery recalls. As Bdog said, the failure rate is exceedingly low. Simple pacemakers are much more reliable.

Not all docs hate motorcycles. I currently have four and I love riding.

All the best.

You is da man Bobby! 9 heart attacks and a quad by 42 ? fuk I don't feel so bad all of a sudden. I've but three attacks and only... a.. oh shit, I guess a quad too. But I'm months away from fidy....
The old fukers here thank ya.

Jeebus you are old. No wonder you forget shit :blink: . Maybe I shouldn't pick on you. I wouldn't want someone claiming elder abuse! :p

Watch it wise guy :lol: I might just retire down yer way....I'll come in an smack ya wit my cane, sit around bitch aboot the weather, shit myself on occasion, an eat all yer fried pastry's :huh:

You sure ya want that?

Watch it wise guy :lol: I might just retire down yer way....I'll come in an smack ya wit my cane, sit around bitch aboot the weather, shit myself on occasion, an eat all yer fried pastry's :huh:
You sure ya want that?

So other than trying to eat my food, how would that scenario be any different than RIGHT NOW? :friends:

You sure ya want that?

So other than trying to eat my food, how would that scenario be any different than RIGHT NOW? :friends:
Easy there Joe Friday :****: Ain't you got some paperwork to do???? Aw shit that's right, ya lost it.

Damn early onset Alzheimers :blum:

BTW Leave me alone, or I'll pack a stool sample in er package I'ma shippin' yer way. Yeah you can ask old fuk mikey, bluesman, or the animal copulater odot. I tend to clean out the trash drawer when ya toy wit me Mister..........

Again :****:

There ya go boomer, some great advice and a little discent too !!! Thanks BD for the number, I am in line at the county hospital here in San Antone, its a university teaching unit which I think is a good thing, it just takes some time and patience( or patients! ) to get in. By the way, my vegan diet, sexercise, meditation and 12 hours of sleep a day average has boosted my EF to around 25...and I take no meds save Lasix, the water pill. My device may be very complex but I am very very thankful for the simple life it allows me to lead. I would also like to thank Dr Dean Ornish for sharing knowledge that saved my life...his books on heart failure reversal are the real deal if one has the discipline to follow them....sorry for the plug, just good Karma ! What a great board...y'all are such good people for sharing ! Thanks again BD...now go ride yer damn bike will ya !!!! :clapping:

Blessed,

Bobby

Latest posts