Is Rattlesnake Grade open?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digitalmoto

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the road is open between Enterprise, OR (3 in OR) and Clarkston, WA (129 in WA)? I'm thinking about a weekend run out that way if the roads are open.

Thx!

Don't know the answer to your question...but that is one of those roads that I wish my "heights thing" didn't bother me so much...because it is absolutely spectacular! Even though I'm scared to death of heights, I take those roads because it is just so damn jaw dropping awesome. If I have a stroke while riding the area...then so be it. :)

Does anyone know if the road is open between Enterprise, OR (3 in OR) and Clarkston, WA (129 in WA)? I'm thinking about a weekend run out that way if the roads are open.

Thx!
Ask here- they're right at the south end of it, and the owners are riders. You'll probably not just get an answer if it's open, but what condition the road's in...
Tell them Dean from TEAM OREGON sent you.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only state highway I know they close in Washington are 2 and 410 over the winter as they go through mountain pass terrain with snow accumulation. Rattlesnake Grade starts at 1100 feet. It was open last year when I ran in early March and just fine. Yes, elevation gets to 3700 feet in Enterprise, but it's still a state highway. Watch for leftover sand if anything or frost in the mornings and shadows.

The only state highway I know they close in Washington are 2 and 410 over the winter as they go through mountain pass terrain with snow accumulation. Rattlesnake Grade starts at 1100 feet. It was open last year when I ran in early March and just fine. Yes, elevation gets to 3700 feet in Enterprise, but it's still a state highway. Watch for leftover sand if anything or frost in the mornings and shadows.
Hope I'm not out of line to correct the admin but DOT closes US 2 (Stevens Pass) only for avalanche control or maintenance over the winter. SR 20 (North Cascades) is usually closed in November and opens in April, although they say it will be May this year: https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/northcascades OF course SR 410 over Cayuse and Chinook Passes closes for winter as well. I know what you meant Ignacio but it needed clarification. I'm not a smarta$$ I just like to ride the aforementioned roads a lot and would love to ride the Rattlesnake.

Hope I'm not out of line to correct the admin but DOT closes US 2 (Stevens Pass) only for avalanche control or maintenance over the winter. SR 20 (North Cascades) is usually closed in November and opens in April, although they say it will be May this year: https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/northcascades OF course SR 410 over Cayuse and Chinook Passes closes for winter as well. I know what you meant Ignacio but it needed clarification. I'm not a smarta$$ I just like to ride the aforementioned roads a lot and would love to ride the Rattlesnake.
Not out of line at all, we encourage that thing around here. To maintain a correct data base of course...

...definitely not to tweak the admins, of course. ;)

:lol:

Hope I'm not out of line to correct the admin but DOT closes US 2 (Stevens Pass) only for avalanche control or maintenance over the winter. SR 20 (North Cascades) is usually closed in November and opens in April,....
Yes, 20..not 2. Thx.

Dean,

I followed your advice and talked to Brian. He was extremely helpful. He said they got a dusting of snow last night with night time lows in the 20s. He also said the Oregon side had sand and gravel on the surface. The Washington side should be better, but use extreme caution on while in Oregon. I'm not sure that I'm up for "extreme caution" this weekend. I could run up to Nelson BC with a detour through Condon, OR and do similar mileage by sticking to the Columbia River valley.

Thanks for the advice!

Ivan

Ask here- they're right at the south end of it, and the owners are riders. You'll probably not just get an answer if it's open, but what condition the road's in...
Tell them Dean from TEAM OREGON sent you.

Last edited by a moderator: