Is Sturgis Worth Seeing? (The Area, not the Rally)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For sure worth the scenery and roads.

We went during the rally. It's crowded but wasn't that hectic.

I wish they had closed it off to the cagers for the week.

Didn't care for navigating on that Crazy Horse Mtn, to end up having to share a narrow road with a cager going in the opposite direction.

I would definitely like to go back again.

During Rally week, I saw only 1 other FJR, and maybe a handful of non-cruiser bikes. Felt odd and out of place.

We camped and that was fun.

... Felt odd and out of place.
I bet you had a strange desire to ride butt nekkid down Main Street, get a tattoo on yer arm, and put tassles on yer bike's handle bars.

Yeah, that happened to me once...while....who am I kidding, that has never happened to me.

biggrin.png
Whatsamatter Wheatie, riding nekkid and tattoos are fine, but can't handle tassles?
rolleyes.gif

The Black Hills area is awesome. Admittedly, there's some boring space coming in from the West. I liked Custer State Park, the Devils Tower and Rushmore the best. As Intech said, lots of wildlife in Custer. Good fast rolling roads from Sundance out to the Tower. And I would recommend you plan on visiting Rushmore in the evening and in the morning. Very patriotic Show in the evening and great photo opps in the morning. A reasonable priced breakfast is served in the Cafeteria.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. Several years ago, one of my boys and I two-up'ed through that area, and I made the mistake of visiting the Crazy Horse monument before arriving at Mount Rushmore later that day. Mistake because after Crazy Horse, Mount Rushmore looked so undersized by comparison, dwarfed by the earlier monument and even by its own parking lot and pavilion. Bit of a disappointment, as it looked so much bigger in the movies. :)

You can hit the Painted Desert, the Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument, several caves (Wind Caves, etc.) and on up to Devil's Tower. You can do it all in a couple of days if you're taking your time.