Is the "E" worth it

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just getting to the casing on rr "E" (no cords showing but very close!)

8,000 miles, all solo, many 90* plus days, lots of 80mph running in PNW.

(maybe roads aren't very coarse up here???)

Air pressures religiously maintained 42 rr, 38 fr.

This has been an excellent tire and would use it again w/o hesitation but I just gotta try the Michelin P.R. 2's (now released). Hoping they handle as well and last 25% longer. Time will tell........

I am running the "E" tire and pressure is set tp 39/41. I am big boned (305lbs) and my wife and I almost always ride 2-up. The "E" is one of the best comprimises I have found based on the kind of riding we like to do. I am looking at putting the same tire on the bike next time but I will not rule out these Michelin tires or these Bridgestone tires.

I'm thinking the E has more of a stay on the rim safety factor for faster heavier sport touring bikes. I had the dealer tell me what a bitch it was to get on the rim compared to a non- E...

We bought both Stradas, an E and a non-E. The side-by-side difference is very noticable. The E is much stiffer. I've put over 3K miles on an E, riding to North Carolina from East Texas, and back. Temps were above 100 every day. Ran a mix of slab and some excellent twisties. Loaded heavy, with clothes and laptop for a month of TDY. I run 44 PSI rear when loaded heavy, 42 normally. 42 front when heavy, 41 when not.

My son is running the non-E on a CBR600RR, running 38 rear and 36 front. Wear has been excellent, and he ain't exactly kind to tires. The FJR is getting the best tire mileage ever on the E. I usually get 4K to a rear. I think the Strada will go 6K easy.

On the trip to Carolina I got some serious rain, and the Strada performed very well. I'm putting another set on when it's tire time.

Well the new (non-E) Strada rear showed up today and not a moment too soon. I only got 4000 out of mine. while the belts arent showing through the wear bars are starting to fade. I will ride this one at higher pressure and see how it lasts. I actually logged 250 miles today on my farwell ride (nice ride from Grafton to Romney WV on US 50) running at 40 psi I had the rear end come a little loose accelerating out of the corners but it was ok.

thanks for all the comments!