Is there a gap in the steering head area

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren

Reaction score
Hello,

I am remounting parts after doing the steering head bearings and changing the fork oil. Is there a gap, looking from the top - above the tank, between the steering stem shaft-2nd nut, lock washer and where the top bracket meets?

I'll try to include a picture. it just doesn't look correct. But it does feel solid. I thought I'd ask before finishing the reassemble.

Thank you.

Darren

Actually, I can't tell how to add a picture.

Thanks.

Yes you do have a problem and it is most likely the following problem. When you put your bottom bearing onthe shaft and was driving it to seat at the bottom of the shaft it did not go all the way down. You most likely have about an 1/8" gap. You will not be able to see this gap with your naked eyes looking at it.

What will happen you will put this back together and it will ride and the steering will be perfect for a while. After 50 miles or so you will hear a clunk in the steering head bearing while going down the road and you will start to feel the free play between the bearing and where it is suspose to seat for correction installation. If you keep riding the bearing will eventually move the remailing 1/8" inch and seat where it is suspose to be, but you will have a gap and you will be able to move that shaft that your bearings is mounted on up and down, than if left like this you will wipe out your new bearing installation. To correct this :

You need to take apart and re-seat that bottom bearing so it is all the way down with no gap re tork and good to go

How do I know this happened to me and I was on a ride and had to go to a dealer and have him retork the bearings so there was no play been ok ever since..been about a two years ago..

If you have any further question give me a pm thanks weekend rider

Darren,

I think WeekendRider is on track. When I did my bearings, it was a royal problem getting that lower bearing to seat properly. I humbly suggest you look at this very carefully.. It could be a serious condition.

Could someone look at their fjr and see if you can see the lower lockring on the upper, top, left side of the steering stem area. Thank you.

Darren

th_misc165.jpg

misc169.jpg

misc166.jpg

Hello,I am remounting parts after doing the steering head bearings and changing the fork oil. Is there a gap, looking from the top - above the tank, between the steering stem shaft-2nd nut, lock washer and where the top bracket meets?

I'll try to include a picture. it just doesn't look correct. But it does feel solid. I thought I'd ask before finishing the reassemble.

Thank you.

Darren

Actually, I can't tell how to add a picture.

Thanks.