Is there any solution for leg roasting heat on an 08?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happytrails63 posted: So are Gen III's cooler? Or does OP just have a hot bike? Just wondering because I had a short ride on a Gen III and didn't notice the heat. But it could have been due to me playing non-stop with all the gizmos on that bike.
My Gen3 has the opposite problem. I had to buy a one-piece riding suit just to keep that damn cold breeze off my manly parts. Am thinking (seriously) about a heated seat before next winter.

OK, seriously, I am thinking about a heated seat because I am a Southern boy and do NOT like the cold. My bike does get hot on my shins, but those times are in the summertime and only in a classic Atlanta Freeway Jam. All that sunshine, all that asphalt covered with all those car exhausts, and I'm straddling a 1300cc four-cylinder engine with forced air cooling -- "Why, of course it's hot, Uncle Hud!"

Proper road gear does help. Try spandex full-leg running pants under your mesh, and splash water on your crotch and thighs if you find yourself stopped. (It will trickle down to your shins.) You're a badass biker bro, so no one's gonna say anything to you about a wet crotch.

Oh yeah, you're a badass biker bro, so stop whining about the heat, and be thankful you're not straddling your FJR in Atlanta.

<edited 3 mins later: And, Mr. Original Poster, please search a little before you post next time. This issue has been discussed in a few dozen threads on this Forum.>

Last edited by a moderator:
all big engined bikes produce heat. trade it or sell it and buy a 250. you're welcome.
bike.gif

An '04 here, and in S.C., so you have to add 90plus humidity to that 90plus temperature; jeans with mesh riding pants (for me). Hell yeah it's hot but try to not hug the sides of my legs with the side of the bike (helps a little).
smile.png

Try this blast-from-the-past. It works great on my '05 resulting in appreciable heat reduction. I used roof flashing metal instead of aluminum, and later, I added a layer of silver aluminum bubble insulation under and behind the tank.

https://www.fjrowners.com/forum/messages/6/10176.html?1063970531

I also wear the gear, including over the calf boots. On rare occasions when I wear my shorter work boots, I can feel more heat. WBill

On my '07, there is heat, but not much, considering there's a 1.3 litre motor between my legs. On super hot days, if I get stuck in traffic and the fans come on, hot air blows onto my legs, but it's not "leg roasting" or "unbearable." Those terms are very subjective. I would be very surprised if this is a bike issue.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="SacramentoMike" data-cid="1292297" data-time="1456994178"><p>

Google Baker Air Wings.</p></blockquote>

1++. Hand wings. Divert air behind the shield and across lap down to legs. Air wings to divert onto shins.

Drive an air conditioned car on really hot days? On a serious note though, the new high tech underwear (Outlast, et al.) with the proper over gear does help to keep cooler.

Rich, I feel your pain. i ride a Honda St1300 that puts out a tremendous amount of heat on my shins. Followed all the fixes- throttle body sync, valve check, thermostat and coolant. Reflex bubble wrap insulation. nothing seemed to help. Finally installed Baker Air Wings-adjustable to draw cool air in on your legs. Don't know if they make them for your FJR. Also i wear kevlar mesh riding pants, Klim cool socks and TCX riding boots. Good luck........

Gotta agree with Ignacio, lose the jeans and get some real riding gear.
Thanks for the advice but when it is 90+ degrees, I wear jeans and my ballistic Joe Rocket mesh armor over them. Provides (some) knee and thigh protection but seriously - NOT gonna ride with leathers on in that temp. Oh and someone asked if the heat Shield is on the engine - yes, I have done valves and throttle sync and have seen and moved that shielding. Not complaining about the tank temp (my bike is black so it is sun magnet anyways), just the extreme amount of heat the bike throws off from the radiator fans pushing through the side vents. Soooooo other than ribbing - the answer is deal with it eh?
It's a faired bike of significant output. That generates heat and the fairings block wind blast, so it is what it is. Try 120 in stop-and-go with a Gen 1 (officially 110 so at least 120 in the blacktop). I don't suggest leathers but jeans and mesh ain't cutting it either. I like the First Gear Hypertex overpants. You can unzip some of the side zipper for venting and other techniques but it's more a what-you-tollerate that's been the issue/common factor since day 1. My 1984 1200 Gold Wing was hotter in the same situations mainly because the fairing was larger. Heck, the side pipes on my HD were scorchers if I wasn't careful.

Pick a smaller engine, or an unfaired bike, or pick a different route with less traffic so you don't sit idling as much.

I mentioned Baker Air Wings before, and another agreed--you didn't mention looking them up, OP, so guessing you didn't. Cool air diverting into your legs might be nice though, right? Also consider highway pegs. The relief of changing positions once in a while is one good reason to have them. But on hot days, getting your legs out of the hot blast occasionally is maybe an even better one.

Since most of the best sarcastic comments have already been made, I will attempt to be serious.

The Gen2 bikes are much better with regards to heat management (not cooking the operator) than the Gen1 bikes. The Gen3 is better than the Gen2 in this regard.

This same question pops up on the ST1300 forums from time to time and it has always baffled me. Usually it comes from the Northern part of the country, rarely from the South where heat is a part of life. The ST1300 is a very slight bit warmer to ride than the Gen2 FJR. I always found that where you put your legs had everything to do with how much heat you felt. I also believe that when you have that much horsepower and torque being generated directly underneath the rider, there should be some heat.

Having been on all 3 Gen FJRs, a couple different ST1300s, several different Harleys, and a few miscellaneous others, the Gen 2 FJR is actually one of the cooler bikes to operate. The big Harley Touring models will roast your nuts in traffic.

It has always been my opinion that whining about the motor on your motorcycle generating heat is like going to the beach and whining because you got sand in your shoes and water on your clothes.

In every case that I can recall the OP was urged to meet with another forum member with a similar bike so a comparison could be made. I do not recall that it ever happened. It may be that there is something wrong with this particular motorcycle. There is really only one way to determine that and the OP has to make the first move.

Otherwise, the collective is right to be sarcastic. The OP must help us help him.

+1 Baker air wings. I had them on a previous bike and they make a TREMENDOUS difference.

I'm among the apparent majority of Gen 2 owners who don't find the heat any worse than most other bikes I've ridden. As stated, fully faired, big engine, it's gonna get warm.

I can tell you as a Buell owner the early S-1 Lightnings were the worst bike for engine heat I've ever been on. Stock header pipes came within less than 2 inches of your right thigh. I swear after only about 15 minutes even on a moderate day that thing could have cooked a ham.

I'm among the apparent majority of Gen 2 owners who don't find the heat any worse than most other bikes I've ridden. As stated, fully faired, big engine, it's gonna get warm.
I can tell you as a Buell owner the early S-1 Lightnings were the worst bike for engine heat I've ever been on. Stock header pipes came within less than 2 inches of your right thigh. I swear after only about 15 minutes even on a moderate day that thing could have cooked a ham.
That HD V-Twin motor again. Didn't they also use the frame for oil or fuel? That would heat up the frame too.

Gen 1's are HOT ! You better wear proper gear or you will get burned. Focus on Spring and Fall riding and you will love the free heat!

Gen 2's are Cooler ! You have the 'improved' air control, so w/ a new radiator and venting, it goes different places.

Gen 3's are COLD ! The air vents throw cold air on your seat, legs, and all around the shield. I need good gear just to stay warm!

My Gen1s (both) were awesome, I must have had good luck both times I reckon.

During those nasty hot humid Chicago area summers, I would keep the tank above half full if I could...I was probably ready for a tasty freeze break anyways after a couple hours in the heat.

My Gen 3 is awesome, but I haven't really tested it yet down here with the cooler twisty mountain roads so close.

Ok . I have a 2003. I wear Joe rocket Ballistic gear. Underneath I wear those Long Distance SHORTS! . Once I put on long johns. In the winter.

I have ridden in 110 F all the way down to 0 F .I've ridden in shorts too. Fucking hot!!!!!!

So if you don't want the heat ........ wear proper riding gear. JSNS

PS I have 200 000kms on my bike!!!!!!!!