Is this a norm? Jerky at low RPM (1-2 rpm)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does the bike operate when you ride it normally: with rpm at 3k or above? Maybe you should just stop lugging it. It wasn't designed to run at such a low rpm.
Come on, Fred, if it runs differently when wet than when dry, then there is something wrong.
I totally disagree that "It wasn't designed to run at such a low rpm". The FJR will pull smoothly and without distress from tick-over if you want it to. Wet or dry. As I've stated more than once, running under 3000 rpm is not necessarily "lugging".

All three I've had would run very happily below 3000, in fact about town that is certainly their "normal" running, and none were any different in the wet. Also, all have survived proper Scottish all-day downpours with no difference in performance. Me, yes (picture a drowned rat), but not the FJR. Very often on my Gen 2 bikes I would deliberately use low rpm because of the lack of traction control under wet slippery conditions, that is still my habit with my Gen 3.

Now, my pre-FJR Trophy really didn't like the rain, until all the plug leads were replaced. I think it was made with left-over Lucas leads.

I agree with you. I ride around town at 40-45mph in 5th gear most of the time and that is 2000rpm. The engine is not lugging and never any surging. With the 190/55 rear tire and modified final drive, 3000rpm in 5th gear has me at 64mph, a little too swift for town riding!!

Got a chuckle from your comment about Lucas electrics. Many friends with early British machines went through hell with Lucas components!!
not_i.gif

Everyone knows that the reason Brits like their beer warm, is because their refrigerators are made by Lucas. But I agree, never pressure wash your bike.

Everyone knows that the reason Brits like their beer warm, is because their refrigerators are made by Lucas. But I agree, never pressure wash your bike.
Nope. It's because we have no need to numb our taste buds, our beer is worth tasting.

And strong enough to affect our throttle hand, making progress jerky if we're stupid enough to ride after drinking (got to keep on topic ;) ).

i am on a logger now, let's see if i am able to get the same issue again and log it down and get the agent to resolve it.