Is this a record?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddog

Reaction score
Today I pulled my wheels for a tire change and the mileage on the tires (Avon Azaros) is 17579. The front still looks pretty good but will be replaced with my "free" Pirelli. The rear tire still has some rubber but is so squared off it feels squirrelly in corners.

Yes, yes, I know, I ride like a wimp. But most of my riding is commuting so I don't have many opportunities to get aggressive. For reference I got 14,000 miles out of the original Stones, and got a little less than 12,000 miles on the Metzler Z6 (the Metzlers sucked).

By the way I found a local independent shop that will mount and balance my Pirellis for $15 a wheel. I've never used them before so we'll see how good they are (all the dealers I called won't even mount a tire they didn't sell).

Any other wimpy riders with more miles on a set of tires?

Larry

I'm sure you're not the only 17lb rider to get that kinda mileage off a set of Von's, so quit with the braggin yo.

Don't know if it's a record... but it's damn impressive in any regard. :clapping:

So your bike has never seen more than about 5K RPM??

I can't imagine not whacking the throttle a few times on the way to work every day.

You have incredible discipline.

Radman - You forgot the 2 in front of the 17; and I'm not braggin I really would like to use the rubber a little faster. But I'm limited by my own skill level and lack of opportunity on the commute (both poor excuses, I know).

ohiofjr - They're miles. I'm sure.

MrVvrroomm - You are largely correct, I'm not using much of the bike's capability. However your suggestion that I could use a Ninja 250 sucks. My wife hates motorcycles and it was a hell of a fight to get the FJR. So I'm not going to have a fight like that and end up with a stinkin 250! ;)

Nice guy Maddog....no reply to me :cray: ....now I'm depressed :(
Mike-H - I don't want you to feel left out so I'm responding now (sheesh, some people are high maintenance :p ). I am confused about a great many things but the mileage on my FJR's tires is not one of them.

Geez, I thought 7k front, 5500 rear was great!

I do know they were very fun miles full of smiles! :yahoo:

MrVvrroomm - You are largely correct, I'm not using much of the bike's capability. However your suggestion that I could use a Ninja 250 sucks. My wife hates motorcycles and it was a hell of a fight to get the FJR. So I'm not going to have a fight like that and end up with a stinkin 250! ;)
Well, we know we'll never hear you bitch about the cost of tires, but I would hope we'll never hear you bitch about the cost of insurance, fuel, etc. on your FJR. There are much cheaper alternatives out there. I won't even get into the "begging the wife" thing.

Uh-oh skooter, sounds like you got some serious competition as tread-life king. l'll bet maddog2020 will be after your admin spot next. :assassin:

Not to worry SouthernFJR skooter got a secret stash of rim savers :) (really old hard rubber)....so I hear....so he can set the ultimate mileage record if he has to....

Radman - You forgot the 2 in front of the 17; and I'm not braggin I really would like to use the rubber a little faster. But I'm limited by my own skill level and lack of opportunity on the commute (both poor excuses, I know).
ohiofjr - They're miles. I'm sure.

I'll finish the last line for ya..."because riding bitch isn't that bad, anyway!" :D :D :D

Hey maddog, congrats on the high mileage...

I think you get the high mileage award on the Forum...hand it over Slappy/Iggy/Skooter/WC

HOWEVER, you're gonna have to stand in line for a new forum handle 'cuz "maddog" you aint! :D

I ride like a pussy and I get 7-8k on the Avons. I don't get your commuting explanation for the high mileage...tire wear should be related more towards accelleration(that throttle thing by your right wrist) & braking (like during commuting) than to speed (miles on the highway)...

Anyways, I stand amazed and confused by your results...

BTW, after getting that kind of mileage on the Avons, why would you EVER think about changing tire brands?

-Curious in Wheaton