Isn't the Heat-Troller a PWM Device?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breathless

Reaction score
OK, I'm about to hang some PIAA LP530 LED driving lights up at handlebar height. At something less than full brightness they could do double duty as daytime wakey-wakey lights, but that'd call for a dimmer. A Heat-Troller is, I think, a PWM-based controller and is rated for a 15A load. I'd be grateful if someone who knows more about LEDs than I do would comment on the advisability of attempting this.

Or, if there is another way to accomplish the same end, I am all ears.

And if I need to say it, dare I hope for something less costly than another Heat-Troller?

Thanks

The heat-troller if it theoretically works in this case will give you flickering lights and not necessarily a dimming effect. I doubt the heat-trollers pulse widths occur at a high enough frequency to provide a visual dimming effect for the LED lights. Just my 2 cents.

From the heat-troller's website: " The Heat-Troller is a pulse-width modulated controller with a 1 second cycle time. That means that over a 1 second period, the power is turned on from about 10% to 100% of the time, adjustable with the knob on the controller. "

As I suspect a 1 second cycle is sufficient for heated gear, but not for a visual 'dimming' effect for LED's. I "think" you need at least 120 cycles per second.

Paging Ionbeam or Fred W.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I suspect a 1 second cycle is sufficient for heated gear, but not for a visual 'dimming' effect for LED's. I "think" you need at least 120 cycles per second.

Paging Ionbeam or Fred W.
LED dimming is done by PWM, but usually at a much higher frequency. While 120hz should be acceptable, 1hz is not. Many high end LED dimmers will have much higher frquency; but they all vary and rarely are they documented so buyer beware.