Issues after tune/TB sync

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip

Reaction score
So recently I have the plugs changed and the TB sync'd at a local shop. Since then the bike has lost about 4mpg and runs noticeably hotter, yes Gen 1 are hot but this is not normal for my bike, I used to only get 4 bars on 100 deg days stuck in traffic, now Im getting that easily in 70deg weather? coolant levels are fine, what if anything could those things that were done cause this? Thanks in advance for any input.

So recently I have the plugs changed and the TB sync'd at a local shop. Since then the bike has lost about 4mpg and runs noticeably hotter, yes Gen 1 are hot but this is not normal for my bike, I used to only get 4 bars on 100 deg days stuck in traffic, now Im getting that easily in 70deg weather? coolant levels are fine, what if anything could those things that were done cause this? Thanks in advance for any input.
Nothing if done properly.

It is fairly easy to remove the 2 bolts loosen the hindge bolt and take a quick look see. That would be the first place to start if it was me. Seeing's you

paid for the service my next thought would be to call them and have a second look at it.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Did they change the idle speed? If it was set low before the sync and they raised it to spec (or heaven forbid, above spec) it would run warmer at low speeds. It will also warm up faster.

Nothing they did during the sync should make a difference at highway speeds.

I don't know for certain the effect on a FI engine, but maybe they left one or more of the caps off the vacuum tap connections for the throttle sync.

I don't know for certain the effect on a FI engine, but maybe they left one or more of the caps off the vacuum tap connections for the throttle sync.
This was the first thing that came to mind for me also. It would add air and cause a lean running situation, hence increased heat, not good for your motor, and would mess up your A/F ratio and cost mpg. Lift your tank and take a look for any loose or missing connections.

Last edited by a moderator: