Italy's answer to the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Valve adjustments are "cake", since they are pushrod/rocker arm. Oil changes are a little more work than the FJR, but not much. All-in-all a fairly easy bike to maintain. As has been said, parts availability would be the largest issue. Someone I know has a LeMans and loves it. I don't think the looks are "terrible" when one considers they must allow for airflow across the cylinders for cooling. The mirrors are a bit akward to those of us used to the more "clean" look of fairing mounted mirrors, but bar-end mirrors would clean up the look and allow plenty of room for R-A-M mounted GPS and radar detectors.

I don't think the styling is all that "bad". To me it is certainly better looking than a Concours, which is really beginning to appear dated (Before you get all "testy", I owned one!). The topcase looks completely out of place, like an afterthought. Perhaps GIVI would have a better idea. The "mechanical" windshield adjustment is probably not "fixable", they'd have been better off copying the BMW RS idea offering 2 positions and being much "cleaner".

Last edited by a moderator:
FJRgeetee, thanks for posting the pics. I've always liked Moto Guzzi's

and may get one in the future but it will be a older one as a 3rd bike.

The engine is bullet-proof for sure!

Not sure I like it. I love Guzzis. My V11s only has about 80 rwhp, but I can outrun most 100 hp crotch rockets, both track and canyon. Guzzis usually handle very well and their power is instantly available at any rpm. Soulful sound to the motor too.

Parts are easily found but a bit pricey. Often, you can find cross refs to other manufacturers parts. Like the injection system parts can be had at local HD shops for about 1/10th the price of Guzzi sourced stuff.

I got valve adjustments down to 10 minutes total. TB synch is CRITICAL on geese. You can find real deals on ebay and such cause folks can't figure out how to get rid of the cough/stumble. Once you learn how, they run great and require little maintenance. Break in is about 20k miles on these.

For what it's worth. The curious can check out v11lemans.com for more guzzi info. I moderate the tech section.

I heard all three US dealers are pretty decent, when they're open..... :p
With a Goose yer on yer own. Buy a manual and get parts mail order. Hopefully it isn;t yer only bike until you get it tuned. After that, they rarely need parts.

I would think mods and accessories would be tough to get for the norge, unless you know someone in the UK or yoorup.

I heard all three US dealers are pretty decent, when they're open..... :p

Down with all of you Piaggio hater!!! :shakes fist: :p

I like the looks of the bike. What makes it more special is the fact that they can't be found like a can of Coke.

I love the look of the naked Guzzi's, not sure I like the lowers.

I guess that means I like my Italian women naked from the waist down? :p

With a Goose yer on yer own. Buy a manual and get parts mail order. Hopefully it isn;t yer only bike until you get it tuned. After that, they rarely need parts.
That's true.

Another thing recommended to those who purchase Guzzi's is once they take delivery, they need to disassemble the whole bike and then re-assemble with grease. :D

Just got this from the Concours owner's Group - someone test rode a Norge in the UK. Here's what he posted:

-----Original Message-----

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of pcollinswood

Sent: 12 August 2006 17:28

To: GTR Europe

Subject: [COG-EU] GTR1000 v Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - no competition !!!!

The Norge is getting good reports here in England. So to see what it's all about, I managed to get a two hour ride on one (fairing but no panniers). Brand new with 1.2km on clock.

The GTR has nothing to worry about! The Norge is a "small" bike (smaller than BMW RT1150/1200) and is more sports than it is touring - fairing is too small (bad wind blast even when adjusted to its highest), small handlebar mounted mirrors that you can't see behind with, a very lumpy engine (on tickover and at speed) and, in my case, my left knee was constantly resting on the left hand cylinder. At 120km/hr, absolutely no grunt in 5th or 6th gears (need to be in 4th) whereas as least the GTR has some get up and go!

In it's favour, the bike handles well but it's a bit like riding an big traillie but with a shaft (similar to chain driven bikes such as the Aprillia Caponord or the much bigger Honda Valdereo). BMW shouldn't have anything to worry about.

It ain't a cheap bike even in naked form at £8690 - the same dealer had a brand new unregistered ZZR1400 for £8999. What would you have??

So the winner for me is my 1990 A5 - smoother, handles as well, better wind protection and more comfortable. Until you try something else, you don't realise or appreciate how good the GTR is! Roll on the GTR1400.

Paul Collinswood