It's been a long time since I did this...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet thanks! So at the bottom it has some options to add to the order, what should I get I know very little about these units.
Take a look at this install. The cruise kit was originally made for 4 wheel vehicles. The car engines make 17-20 inches of vacuum at idle and 8-10 inches with the throttle wide open. The FJR engine pulls ~10 -12 inches of vacuum at idle and only 2-4 inches wide open. Due to the big disparity in vacuum, motorcycle require a vacuum canister to provide some reserve capacity for when the cruise control needs to make big changes in the throttle settings. Do consider buying from Murph or making a vacuum canister.

The Murph's relay will let you have ignition switched power to the cruise control servo.

For bike use, you may be interested in a mounting plate for the cruise control switch pad, there are aftermarket mounts for the cruise control pad which mount on the left mirror hole.

Speaking of vacuum, it is advisable to tap several throttle body sync ports as vacuum sources using check valves to keep the ports from back-streaming.

You will want to pop the cruise control switch pad apart and seal it, it isn't intended for outside use.

First look at the install in the opening link, then you will be able to ask more targeted questions. The install instructions are as good as any (and there are a bunch on You-Tube).

Edit to add:

1. You aren't limited to servo location shown in the how-to.

2. The shown vacuum accumulator is just one way to do it.

3. There are now better fabricated pad mounts available.

4. The hardest part of the install will be drilling and connecting to the throttle stop tab.

I recommend you start there, failing to get this done makes everything else moot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great suggestions ionbeam! Good to know about the vacuum discrepancy.
To beat my own drum, I did an Audiovox installation on my '10, might give you some useful information. Written up here, full set of pictures here. Some detail on things like tab drilling, vacuum reservoir (I went for a single vacuum port installation), control pad sealing.

After some initial teething problems, described in the thread, it worked very well.

I'm thinking about a MCruise for my newly acquired V-Strom 650.
A throttle lock is a whole lot cheaper and easier. How much highway droning are you planning to do on that L'il Wee?

FWIW I have never (not even for an instant) considered putting a cruise control, or even a throttle lock, on my '04 ManStrom, but that's because I seldom want to ride it on the highway. And it has 60k miles racked up on it now.

I'm putting some Shinko Big Blocks on it this spring for a trip down the TET to FODS. Let's just say that no cruise control will be needed on the TET. ;)

^^^^^ We are all individuals. I'm a cruise user. It helps me ride the speeds in slower area that I don't have the discipline to go. I like to have the option to relieve the right wrist. I like to be able to set the cruise if I have to fiddle with something, it's one less thing to deal with when distracted by something else. A cruise lets me set a speed I can't ride when behind someone that I can't immediately pass and want to tailgate the ever loving shit out of them
smile.png
I don't consider a cruise control to be a highway only item. I've had throttle locks on several motorcycles and don't like the way they don't hold a regular speed. It's worse here in New England where there are no flat roads. My V-Max would run away going down hill and slow way down going up hill in spite of the torque it had. Drove me nuts. [echo] We are all individuals and like what we like. [/echo] And, it's impossible to use a cruise when following Fred W.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was talking about putting cc on a Vstrom. I like having the cc on my FJR a lot and use it often, but still not on back roads, and certainly not on the dirt roads I seek out on the 'strom.