I've had it with my Nolan N-102

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent

Who said FJR's don't do dirt?
Reaction score
I've about had it with my Nolan N-102 helmet. It's a great winter helmet, it's nice and warm, but it sucks in the summer. Anyone have a good alternative? The Nolan is a bit noisy, but I can live with that. What I can't live with any longer is that the visor will not stay up at speed :angry: , and it doesn't flow any air at all. Even with all the vents open there's 0 airflow :blink: Add in the wierd visual effects I get with the visor down at night because of the anti-fog insert, and that spells disaster. I would prefer a flip up.

I've about had it with my Nolan N-102 helmet. It's a great winter helmet, it's nice and warm, but it sucks in the summer. Anyone have a good alternative? The Nolan is a bit noisy, but I can live with that. What I can't live with any longer is that the visor will not stay up at speed :angry: , and it doesn't flow any air at all. Even with all the vents open there's 0 airflow :blink: Add in the wierd visual effects I get with the visor down at night because of the anti-fog insert, and that spells disaster. I would prefer a flip up.
Don't expect a Schuberth to be any better in the summer.

My experience is the opposite with the Nolan. I think it's a great helmet, summer and winter. My only complaint is that the liner tends to wear quickly. I have to replace it about every 18 months or so of daily use.

I'm with ya on the Nolan... the only time I feel the vents is when it's sub 40 degrees outside.

If the multitec flows air like my X-11 than that's where I'm headed next.

I have the KBC FFR Flip-up helmet and it's about like what Renegade said about the Nolan, unless it's friggin cold out I never feel air coming in the top vent.

So TWN, Does the Multitec have good venting?

Thanks,

JW

Keep up the good responses!

Even in 30 degree weather, I've never felt my Nolans vents. I pulled the liner out about 5 months ago, and the vent holes from the factory were nowhere near lined up Maybe 30% of the designed volume was getthing thru. I opened up the holes to match the hard shell, and still it didn't improve the air flow. I pulled out the rubber chin piece and still no improvement. 'Nuff's enuff.

I'm gonna go peek at the Multitecs and see what they have to offer.

So TWN, Does the Multitec have good venting?
Just three little holes at the top, but they do a superb job and I wear a Slik, too. Best venting this side of running lidless, IMO.
Slik? :blink: I can just see you with a boy band on your head :rolleyes:

Goggle didn't turn up anything for me, what this?

Just noticed I lost a color matched side plate off my Nolan too... Must be on 680 somewhere :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like my Nolan N102 but hate the tinted flip down visor, it flips down at speed at night. I just bought a second one (found them for $193.00 @ Dennis Kirk).

I bought a Nolan N102 when they first came out. I like mine. you are right though as I don't think it vents all that great even though I can feel some air.I have a HJC flip also and it is adequate. I took the sun visor off and I never have had the visor flip down accidentally. O.K. maybe a few times passing trucks with the windscreen down.

I took the recomendations of the board and bought a new helmet with much better airflow

nov_ch_kaiser.jpg

Got it at a decent price from Road Rider in San Jose (Local), about $400. On the ride home, the shield stayed locked in the up position unless I moved it, and I could FEEL the airflow with the shield open and with it closed! I have a feeling I'm going to be happy with this one. I picked it up in silver, it's a cooler color and it matches the silver on the FJR almost perfect. Thanks for the thumbs up on it and the advise!

Damn, that's not a pic of a Shoei Multitech is it? :unsure: I better try it again :p

Img-4-753.jpg

There, thats better B)

And for another opinion Silent, how did you find the fitting / sizing. Same as the other Shoei lids or did you have to go a size down...This may be my next helmet. TIA

--G

And for another opinion Silent, how did you find the fitting / sizing. Same as the other Shoei lids or did you have to go a size down...This may be my next helmet. TIA
--G
I haven't run any of the other Shoei helmets. The Multitech is a tad looser than my Nolan, and that works out better for me as the Nolan was a tad tight in the forehead (front to rear fit). That may be the reason it doesn't flow any air for me. The inlet comes thru the inner shell at the upper forehead. I'd say the fit of the Multetch is about the same as my Arai Quantum II.

Multitech - Large

Nolan N102 - Medium

Arai Quantum II - Large

<snip>I've about had it with my Nolan N-102 helmet....the visor will not stay up at speed....and it doesn't flow any air at all.
I agree....and it's not so much 'cool-ness'; as the the benefit of fresh air to breathe. One thing that may work is a small clothes-pin (or similar) clipped to the bottom of the shield so it won't completely close. Some helmets have a little 'trigger' on the side that props the shield open to the first notch -- ostensibly, for fogging relief but geat for getting fresh air, too. I think it's important -- you need to breathe fresh, cool air (if you can).

I'm careful to pick a helmet with this in mind. I, too, have a Nolan modular but mainly use it to run short errands. All three of my helmets are flip-ups (modulars) and the one I use primarily for dual-sport work has added breath holes drilled in the chin-bar (by me).

Just thought I'd toss-in another aspect to this discussion.... ;)

Latest posts