I've had it with my Nolan N-102

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Guys,

Don't flame me too bad on this BUT.... Why are you all comparing a Freekin Nolan n102 helmet($200 worth of helmet..see um for that on sale) to a Shoei Multitech(at least $400...never seen um that low but if you say so). What I would like to know is if anyone has any other flip face helmets around the $200 mark that kick's ass on the Nolan. ??????? :p

Hey Guys,
Don't flame me too bad on this BUT.... Why are you all comparing a Freekin Nolan n102 helmet($200 worth of helmet..see um for that on sale) to a Shoei Multitech(at least $400...never seen um that low but if you say so). What I would like to know is if anyone has any other flip face helmets around the $200 mark that kick's ass on the Nolan. ??????? :p
Even a $50 helmet should have some air flow. Usually the extra money just buys you a 'name', and a bit better fit and finnish. Between the Nolan and the Multitech, the fit and finnish is similar in my eyes and I think the Nolan even has a stronger chin bar latch.

If you find yourself in the area, stop by Road Rider in San Jose. They have the Multitech on sale, I just looked at my sales slip and it was $399.99 +tax.

I frequent the place often. I have just bought two jackets from them this year, a Tourmaster Transition and a Intake mesh. They are competitively priced even compared to online places. They have a very good selection of items.

Hey Guys,
Even a $50 helmet should have some air flow. Usually the extra money just buys you a 'name', and a bit better fit and finnish. Between the Nolan and the Multitech, the fit and finnish is similar in my eyes and I think the Nolan even has a stronger chin bar latch.

If you find yourself in the area, stop by Road Rider in San Jose. They have the Multitech on sale, I just looked at my sales slip and it was $399.99 +tax.
Parts411.com. Multitech. $347. Free shipping. ;)

Hey Guys,
I would somewhat disagree, while the Nolan isn't in the same teir, as the Shoei or Arai, it's not a low-end helmet. It should IMHO flow more air than it does.

I don't use the sunvisor anymore because I rode with it UP most of the time and in that position it blocks the damn vents. (this is a bad design IMHO). On those 40 degree chilly mornings that's the only time I could really feel the vents was by playing with that sunvisor, and that's what prompted me to take it off.

-MD

I have a Nolan102 and this is what I did...before you throw out the baby with the bathwater...

I opened up the innards and saw the vent holes seemed to be blocked so I carefully cutout and opened the Airvent holes and opened up the inside line to allow the proper ventilation....to bad we have to do this.

Nolan102CutOuts001.jpg

Nolan102CutOuts003.jpg

Nolan102CutOuts11.jpg

I have a Nolan102 and this is what I did...before you throw out the baby with the bathwater...
I opened up the innards and saw the vent holes seemed to be blocked so I carefully cutout and opened the Airvent holes and opened up the inside line to allow the proper ventilation....
I actually did that too, and took a dremel to the shell to open the breather holes. I run with the sun visor on the helmet, so like Renegade said, it may be blocking the holes :blink: I'm thinking my fat forhead is plugging the intake vents :dribble:

I have an Italian made Flip front helmet made by Caberg Justissmo, it is a fairly run of the mill design with the flip down sunshade. This helmet looks like something off of a fighter pilot when the sunshade is down over your eyes, this works out great if you wear glasses, the sunshade doesn't interfere with them. The sunshade also does a great job if you ride all day and into the evening, when it gets dark if you are wearing your regular glasses, just flip the shade part up, no need to stop and change from sun glasses to regular glasses.The flip part of the helmet was designed to easily come off, this looks like a 3/4 helmet when this part is removed. Also if you need a communication set-up installed inside the helmet, provisions are already made for this.

Cost, it's around the $300.00 mark. Heat, there is no getting away from the heat when going slow or at a stop, I've not noticed any heat when riding at speed. I have several other types of helmets which include two other flip face units, these feel like your head is about to bake inside of the helmet when it's real hot out, but again they're not too bad when riding at speed. When I purchased my Caberg helmet it was DOT rated, I asked about the Snell 2000 rating but were told any helmet with a flip front can't pass the Snell testing yet.

One other note I have found about motorcycle helmets and their ratings. A DOT rated helmet VS a SNELL rated helmet use totally different methods when tested (or not actually tested). All a manufacturer needs to do in order to gain a DOT sticker for their helmet is to believe their helmets will withstand the testing perameters set forth required to achieve a DOT rating. The DOT may come in and take some of the manufacturers helmets for testing, but most are sold with the DOT sticker on them never having gone through any type of testing at all. In other words the manufacturer just has to believe their helmets are built to these standards to receive the DOT certification, that's it! A SNELL rated helmet on the other hand has to go through rigorous testing in order to achieve that SNELL rating, the manufacturer brings their helmets in and pays for this certification. Which one do you want on your head? Granted you are going to pay a lot more for a SNELL rated helmet, but it's worth it if you ever need it. Got a $5.00 head, get a $5.00 helmet. Got a $500.00 head, get a $500.00 helmet. :yahoo:

If you don't believe what I say? Do a search.......Plug in DOT and SNELL Motorcycle Helmets: Understanding DOT and SNELL ratings. EZINEARTICLES.COM

Good Luck,

clutchless1

Parts411.com. Multitech. $347. Free shipping. ;)
:dntknw: $347? All I can find there is $495.99 Clicky I see there "Phone code" is 347.0000, but added the helmet to the basket and it listed as $495.99. I didn't go thru the full checkout tho. To late anyway, Road Rider won't take back a helmet thats been ridden, and I rode it home.

Last edited by a moderator:
:dntknw: $347? All I can find there is $495.99 "Phone code" is 347.0000

Ding, ding, ding! If you call in your order, ask for the phone code price. If you internet in your order, in the 'comments box', type in 'phone code price, please'. You can also request they call you to verify order and availability via the i'net order page, which they will, in about 2 business days.

That seems like a silly system thats probably costing them buisness. I know I would have passed them over in a heartbeat because of the way there page reads. Ohh well, call it a $50 donation to keep a damn good company going that I've been dealing with for 20+ years. That and the ability to try before I buy B)

I use a nolan and have for about 6 years and like them. I have the N102e the newer model it is pretty quite much better than the old N102.

As far as the air inlet i would not drill out to much, there is an unforseen problem going to happen. To big of hole lets in a whole lot of gugs, Just wait till that wasp gets in thna what???? oh! sh-t..........

But than again I do not hear so good any more with my hearing aide turned off hmm.. :yahoo:

weekend rider :) :D

Hey,

I own a nolan flip face N100 and it is a good helmet. Wasn't bashing it cause it cost less than the Shoei. I was looking for input on similar priced helmets(mid priced not high priced). I just started a separate topic regarding this question. If you have input on this issue please check it out.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...c=22187&hl=

Thanks,

WW

I've had a new Nolan E-Com for a couple months now and just love it. It's very comfortable & quiet for a flip helmet. The venting seem to work well so far, even in the 90's. The Helmet Harbor rates the Nolan at 7 out of 10 for ventilation same as the Shoei multi-tec & wind noise at 6 out of 10 one better than the Shoei. Not bad for a less expensive helmet.

Latest posts