J. Burleigh’s Morning Commute Video

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I see why that shit is illegal in most states. Looks very dangerous to be engaged in. I'd try at least once.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I see why that shit is illegal in most states. Looks very dangerous to be engaged in. I'd try at least once.
What's that old saying? "Try it, you'll like it!"

Then you'd be hooked and couldn't do it in your home state...whatta dilemma. IT is not for the faint of heart or one who is "skills" challenged. We must have our wits about us and be "on our game", but as Meosborn posted, a good many people DO make room for us. Once in awhile we come up on someone who will purposely block but they are a fairly small group. The "traffic-aware challenged" are more of a problem.

It is not for...one who is "skills" challenged....
Well I must say I agree with you but didn't want to brag... B)

But it isn't just about going fast like on the Matterhorn ride at Disneyland, which is the fun part. It's also about going really S....L....O....W..... And of course it's easy to go fast on a motorcycle; not so easy to go slow.

For example, coming home last night up a local 6-lane, divided arterial, traffic was stop and go for about a mile just before my neighborhood. But the lanes were fairly narrow, so the cars were quite close side to side, and of course there are raised dots marking the lanes. So I was faced with a lane-splitting situation of going very slow between tight cars over dots in first gear, revving the hell out of the engine while feathering the clutch to go up between the cars at just enough speed to not not have to put my foot down, and trying not to play the mirror kissing game.

It actually made me think it'd be fun at WFO to have a parking lot course with cones marking turns and corners, and seeing who could go through it in the longest (slowest) time without putting a foot down.

Jb

Other than it would be a good way to get 2 motorcyclists killed?!? Better to just call for some assistance the the poor individual.

Yep. And how about the poor SOB motorcyclist stuck in the three-foot wide fast-lane shoulder broken down?
Nice Video JB! Combat touring at it's finest!

Any reason you didn't stop to assist the stranded motorcyclist?

Derek
Thank you. Meosborn hit the nail on the head. The breakdown lane is just a few feet wide there. There was nothing I could do, and on top of that, if you look carefully, you'll see that he's actually making a cell phone call. But a scary situation to be in for sure. And that reminds me--one of my commute prep activities is to always be sure my cell phone's got enough juice to get me home, in case I wind up on the side of the freeway.

Jb

Last edited by a moderator: