J&M CB &

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angus

Angus
Reaction score
I want to buy a new ZUMO is it a easy hook up to the J&M cb and do you like the quality of the sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think J & M has an interconnect cable for connecting the two. Haven't used mine together yet to comment on the sound. Yesterday the 2008 J & M catalog came in the mail. A quick glance looked like bluetooth stuff as well. Haven't had time to read it yet though. Good luck.

The zumo audio output jack is the same as any portable music device. It'll plug into anywhere you'd plug in an MP3 player (and you can plug in any standard earbuds). The sound is fine through wires. The sound through bluetooth isn't stereo.

I'm considering the J&M CB unit or a Starcom Digital Unit. I'm curious if anyone has used the J&M unit and care to comment about it?

I want Zumo, Cell Phone, Rider to Passenger connectivity. I like the CB for Bike to Bike. I realize I can use a Handheld CB with the Starcom. Just thought the J&M unit would be easier to use and more convenient being handlebar mounted.

Any thoughts?

PS. Hope I didn't hi-jack this thread.....didn't mean too.

I'm considering the J&M CB unit or a Starcom Digital Unit. I'm curious if anyone has used the J&M unit and care to comment about it?
I want Zumo, Cell Phone, Rider to Passenger connectivity. I like the CB for Bike to Bike. I realize I can use a Handheld CB with the Starcom. Just thought the J&M unit would be easier to use and more convenient being handlebar mounted.

Any thoughts?

PS. Hope I didn't hi-jack this thread.....didn't mean too.
I just installed the J&M last week it works great I want a Zumo to add to it.

I used the J & M on my 05 for a couple of years & liked it. I also had the Intergration Module & fed in the cell, portable am/fm, & the Passport. The system worked fine. I bought the Zumo & plan to install it & all the above on my 07 as well as the Zumo Sat XM. I haven't got the 07 installation done yet. LOTS of wires. With the Zumo I will use the Bluetooth to my cell to the Zumo & feed the J & M from that. I had used a FRS Chatterbox before but many of the current guys I ride with now had the CB's so I made the change. The only negative comment I have about the J & M is that it is pricey when you add it all up. Best of luck.

To conect the JMCB2003 DU to the ZUmo you just need this cable:
https://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?Pr...MO550&PF=24

With this setup you can hear any of the zumo's commands and music if you have a mp3 playing on it. Also you can use you cell phone via bluetooth thru the zumo and then to your helmet headset.

Works very well.

RMC
you only need this cable if you want to talk on the phone. with the original set up, you can hear music and voice commands and incoming calls just fine, but you won't be able to talk back through to the zumo. so basically, you have to spend another $270 to be able to talk on the phone, above the original J&M purchase.

I've decided to pass on it for my system and just use the Zumo as a caller ID of sorts, then pull over and talk.

To conect the JMCB2003 DU to the ZUmo you just need this cable:
https://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?Pr...MO550&PF=24

With this setup you can hear any of the zumo's commands and music if you have a mp3 playing on it. Also you can use you cell phone via bluetooth thru the zumo and then to your helmet headset.

Works very well.

RMC
you only need this cable if you want to talk on the phone. with the original set up, you can hear music and voice commands and incoming calls just fine, but you won't be able to talk back through to the zumo. so basically, you have to spend another $270 to be able to talk on the phone, above the original J&M purchase.

I've decided to pass on it for my system and just use the Zumo as a caller ID of sorts, then pull over and talk.
All i want to do is listen to Music use intercom and hear GPS prompts.Looks like i will have a 2720 for sale soon.

I used the J & M on my 05 for a couple of years & liked it. I also had the Intergration Module & fed in the cell, portable am/fm, & the Passport. The system worked fine. I bought the Zumo & plan to install it & all the above on my 07 as well as the Zumo Sat XM. I haven't got the 07 installation done yet. LOTS of wires. With the Zumo I will use the Bluetooth to my cell to the Zumo & feed the J & M from that. I had used a FRS Chatterbox before but many of the current guys I ride with now had the CB's so I made the change. The only negative comment I have about the J & M is that it is pricey when you add it all up. Best of luck.
Ron, and others that want to comment. Do you get any engine noise when using the CB portion of the unit? Others using the Starcom/Autocom units have experienced this problem but have solutions. Just curious with the CB built into the J&M Unit, if there are any noise issues.

I'm also going to do the rider passenger unit. Are there any issues that anyone has run across with this installation?

I had no problem with install stuck the main connectors in the fairing next to the glove box I have no motor noise there are two noise filters in-line on the unit with my Zune plugged in it is way louder that you want to listen to. My friends on there Goldwings said I was real clear on the CB I used the license plate mount but I think I will move it up higher.

I have not experienced any noise on the J & M. As was stated the unit comes with a noise filter. Also the instructions say to wire into the tail light circuit for power. I placed the Integration module in the left side faring. My feeling is that the J & M is a pretty well engineered unit. Pricey but good. I used a cb antenna that I obtained at a truck stop-felt like the J & M antenna at ~$90 was a bit high. When riding in close proximity to some friends with GoldWings (You know the duckling style rides) the J & M would sometimes overload their CB receivers even on the low power setting. A few hundred feet of distance generally solved the problem. I was happy enough with the unit that after a get off which totaled my 05 (including J & M CB) that I bought another J & M CB for my 07. As usual I have no connection to J & M other than using their CB & accessories. Best of luck Ron

I have not experienced any noise on the J & M. As was stated the unit comes with a noise filter. Also the instructions say to wire into the tail light circuit for power. I placed the Integration module in the left side faring. My feeling is that the J & M is a pretty well engineered unit. Pricey but good. I used a cb antenna that I obtained at a truck stop-felt like the J & M antenna at ~$90 was a bit high. When riding in close proximity to some friends with GoldWings (You know the duckling style rides) the J & M would sometimes overload their CB receivers even on the low power setting. A few hundred feet of distance generally solved the problem. I was happy enough with the unit that after a get off which totaled my 05 (including J & M CB) that I bought another J & M CB for my 07. As usual I have no connection to J & M other than using their CB & accessories. Best of luck Ron
Ron where did you mount your antenna i have mine on the license plate bracket I get out fine but have problems recieving others thinking about making a bracket up higher near the top trunk.

Photos from my 05 several years ago:

AntRearViewSmall.jpg

AntSideviewSmall.jpg

Hope this helps. Used alumumin stock from Lowes & longer screws in the Givi mount.

It is recommended to mount the antenna at least 18" from the pillon to avoid changing the SWR when they get on the bike.

Photos from my 05 several years ago:
AntRearViewSmall.jpg

AntSideviewSmall.jpg

Hope this helps. Used alumumin stock from Lowes & longer screws in the Givi mount.

It is recommended to mount the antenna at least 18" from the pillon to avoid changing the SWR when they get on the bike.

Thanks that will give me a start.

Would one of you kind folks mind sending me a picture of how the J&M CB Unit is mounted on your bike? I have my Audiovox cruise control unit mounted on the left bar and from what I have gathered from the J&M site, the CB Unit may interfere with the cruise control unit. If someone could either post it here or better yet send it to my email address in my profile, that would be great. Two shots would be great. One of the whole unit, and one, a closeup showing where the mounting braket is located.

Thanks!

Smoke

Would one of you kind folks mind sending me a picture of how the J&M CB Unit is mounted on your bike? I have my Audiovox cruise control unit mounted on the left bar and from what I have gathered from the J&M site, the CB Unit may interfere with the cruise control unit. If someone could either post it here or better yet send it to my email address in my profile, that would be great. Two shots would be great. One of the whole unit, and one, a closeup showing where the mounting braket is located.
Thanks!

Smoke
The mounting bracket goes where the two screws go that holds the clutch bracket clam shell to handlebars.

CBMount2.jpg

From several years ago- J & M on my 05. Hope this helps.

Side note: the Sony am/fm radio was not mounted there just happened to be laying there. Used it for a while then found an am/fm radio from Radio Shack that had a scan button that was better while riding. Range on both here in the midwest was about 40-60 miles from the station. The red pushbutton on the left side hanging by the wires was at the time a temporary unit for the garage door opener. The cable connector for the J & M is near the front of the tank. I found that to be a convenient location to hookup the helmet speakers/mike-although it did scuff the tank paint a bit, not bad & I'll probably install the one on the 07 in the same place.