J&M External Speakers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think most here use bluetooth in helmet speakers. The other option is to use ear buds. I do not recall a single sport touring rider mounting speakers on their handle bars.

This question was posted on the forum in 2008 and here is the link.

Had external speakers on 3 different Wings. Never can hear them well through over the wind noise, helmet, ear plugs. Tried helmet speakers too, again had to crank up the volume to hear through the ear plugs so it was also sub-optimal. Went to wired in-ear custom-molded ear monitors and have never looked back. Turn the volume nearly all the way down and still much clearer than anything in the past.

Had external speakers on 3 different Wings. Never can hear them well through over the wind noise, helmet, ear plugs. Tried helmet speakers too, again had to crank up the volume to hear through the ear plugs so it was also sub-optimal. Went to wired in-ear custom-molded ear monitors and have never looked back. Turn the volume nearly all the way down and still much clearer than anything in the past.
This is good to know. I don't have experience with external speakers. I do have a set of ear buds and I really like those. I believe they are illegal in the State of Wa and most states but if I don't my ear buds which is most of the time, I wear earplugs to save my hearing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless of where my roadside visits have been, ear plugs and ear buds have never been an issue to Officer Friendly.

As an aside, custom molded ear monitors have been a significant step up from ear buds IMO. So, I'd list them (worst to best):

External speakers

Helmet speakers

Ear buds

Ear monitors

Regardless of where my roadside visits have been, ear plugs and ear buds have never been an issue to Officer Friendly.
As an aside, custom molded ear monitors have been a significant step up from ear buds IMO. So, I'd list them (worst to best):

External speakers

Helmet speakers

Ear buds

Ear monitors
Which monitors do you have?

I got mine (1 pair with long cord) at the IMS in Dallas one year back around 2003. I then got another paid several years later (again at the IMS) with a shorter cord. Both still work as new. I think the booth was "Now Hear This".

Checking...

https://www.fjr-tips.org/acc/ear/ear.html

Yep.

External speakers

Helmet speakers

Ear buds

Ear monitors
Which monitors do you have?
I have big ear. They are great I think they are rated for a 30db noise reduction. I plug them into a J&M system. You do need a different coard to teh helmet from J&M.