J&M integration cable $280! Alternative?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may be too simple. Besides, I've been called a simpleton, but what the hell.....

What's wrong with a Y connector with a couple of diodes plumbed in line to prevent feedback to the output of device #1 from the output of device #2?

What's wrong with a Y connector with a couple of diodes plumbed in line to prevent feedback to the output of device #1 from the output of device #2?
I was wondering that too.

I did a search on the Radio Shack website, evidently inventory varies wildly between stores. I know later today if I'll be able to build motorcycle-ed's isolating/mixer in time. Last night, I was able to source a cord with a mono jack and a cord with 1/8" stereo jack on one end and a plug on the other. I'll chop those up and follow the motorcycle-ed's instructions along with the instructions on the transformers' packaging.

As long as I don't let the magic smoke out...

Starting with motorcycle-ed's drawing, this is what I did:

I bought two Radio Shack audio transformers (P/N 273-1380) and paid close attention to the drawing on the back off the packages:

Radio%20Shack%20273-1380.JPG

I also bought one 1/8" 3.5mm mono male plug to tinned leads:

Custom%20Distributing%206015900_lG.jpg

one 1/8" 3.5mm stereo male plug to tinned leads:

Digi-Key%20CA-2208.jpg

and one 1/8" 3.5mm stereo female socket to tinned leads. I couldn't find a decent photo of one of these, but you get the idea. You could also substitute by buying a single 1/8" 3.5mm stereo cord (male plug to female socket), cut it in half and tin the leads yourself.

I found this on Wikipedia: TRS connector <Link>

Having acquired just enough information to be dangerous to my precious electronics, I set to work.

The plan was to make this so I could plug it in when I need it and make no permanent changes to any of my electronics.

There doesn't seem to be any sort of consistency to the color of wires used in the cords, so I checked them with a multimeter. I recorded which wire was tip, ring, and sleeve for each cord. Then I soldered everything together.

Mix-Isolate.JPG

(That was a lot of work using MS Paint)

It seems to work pretty well with only a little loss in volume.

Now, I have a question:

Even with the volume of the radar/laser detector set to its lowest level, the volume in my in-ear speakers is deafening. How do I cut the volume from that source without mucking up the whole works?

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting with motorcycle-ed's drawing, this is what I did:
I bought two Radio Shack audio transformers (P/N 273-1380) and paid close attention to the drawing on the back off the packages:

Radio%20Shack%20273-1380.JPG

I also bought one 1/8" 3.5mm mono male plug to tinned leads:

Custom%20Distributing%206015900_lG.jpg

one 1/8" 3.5mm stereo male plug to tinned leads:

Digi-Key%20CA-2208.jpg

and one 1/8" 3.5mm stereo female socket to tinned leads. I couldn't find a decent photo of one of these, but you get the idea. You could also substitute by buying a single 1/8" 3.5mm stereo cord (male plug to female socket), cut it in half and tin the leads yourself.

I found this on Wikipedia: TRS connector <Link>

Having acquired just enough information to be dangerous to my precious electronics, I set to work.

The plan was to make this so I could plug it in when I need it and make no permanent changes to any of my electronics.

There doesn't seem to be any sort of consistency to the color of wires used in the cords, so I checked them with a multimeter. I recorded which wire was tip, ring, and sleeve for each cord. Then I soldered everything together.

Mix-Isolate.JPG

(That was a lot of work using MS Paint)

It seems to work pretty well with only a little loss in volume.

Now, I have a question:

Even with the volume of the radar/laser detector set to its lowest level, the volume in my in-ear speakers is deafening. How do I cut the volume from that source without mucking up the whole works?
OK, I assume the male mono plug is the one plugged into your radar detector and that is the item that is too loud. If this is not the correct assumption, send me another email before doing anything. Use my direct Email: [email protected]. Try putting a 220 ohm 1/4 or 1/8 watt resistor in series with either wire from your detector before the transformer, then put a 10 ohm resistor across the two wires from the detector AFTER the resistor (in other words put the 10 ohm across the transformer inputs you have the wires soldered to now. That will reduce the signal from the detector by a factor of 22. If this is now too low a signal even with the detector volume turned up, then reduce the 220 ohm to say...100 ohm. Let me know how it works.

Ed

Thank you!

I'll get that done this afternoon, then I'll see if my favorite speed traps are open for business!

:D

Last edited by a moderator: