J&M Questions...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdisher

formerly Renegade, get used to it.
Reaction score
OK, I'm just about done dicking with my StarComm. It works just fine for single rider use, but I cannot find a good sweet spot for use with as an intercom. The VOX is just fucked up and the mic's are too sensitive. If it can hear me to activate, it hears the road noise too.

So I'm looking at J&M, and picked one up used. I kind of also like the idea of having a working CB for solo rides. It seems to me that bear reports could be useful.

I was laying it out last night and am not sure where to connect the extra ground strap for the antenna. this unit came with the rack mount bar (would go under the Givi mount).

Ideas?

-MD

OK, I'm just about done dicking with my StarComm. It works just fine for single rider use, but I cannot find a good sweet spot for use with as an intercom. The VOX is just fucked up and the mic's are too sensitive. If it can hear me to activate, it hears the road noise too.

So I'm looking at J&M, and picked one up used. I kind of also like the idea of having a working CB for solo rides. It seems to me that bear reports could be useful.

I was laying it out last night and am not sure where to connect the extra ground strap for the antenna. this unit came with the rack mount bar (would go under the Givi mount).

Ideas?

-MD
I was gonna suggest contacting Brodie, but he has a firestik and I doubt it has to be grounded

I have a J&M antenna mounted to thier license plate frame...the ground strap eye goes through a license plate mount bolt

I know you know any bolt to the metal structure of the bike is fine

I guess pics would help

any consideration of purchasing the license plate mount ???

I'm not opposed to upgrading to a firestick. I'm OK with the mount as is, don't really need the license plate mount. I figured the ground strap went to ground ;) But where on the antenna or mount wasn't obvious. :)

-MD

I'm not opposed to upgrading to a firestick. I'm OK with the mount as is, don't really need the license plate mount. I figured the ground strap went to ground ;) But where on the antenna or mount wasn't obvious. :)

-MD
well, full disclosure after I posted is the higher in the air the antenna is, the longer the range...I have the longest 4' antenna, but the range is only average...like 1 mile max

and the J&M antenna mounted near the rear wheel is bending and actually bends and moves in a circle at speed...I've broken two of them before attaching it with a clamp to the trunk about 1/3 the distance up from the mount...J&M's Prez John Laz...oni was kind enough to replace them both with just an email and pic of the broken staff...with no warranty many years after purchase.

He also replaced a know that jumped off the main unit for me. So a plug for customer service, but prices show the exclusive market they have and they are very very proud of their products

Easily $1000-$1500 to equip an entire Rider/Passenger setup and that's the wired stuff. Wireless, woe.

but if I was doing what you are or doing it over here, I would go for a firestik which are groundless and have superior performance...highly recommended in my circles

Goldwingers use the Honda product...most other PGRers who are in the know for their own setups have firestiks and my google search shows they are not expensive...well compared to J&M

-MO

install some basic PTT switches for the passenger and you. blocks all wind noise without using VOX. in the end, it'll be less frustrating than dealing with the d-bags at J&M.

Ideas?

-MD
Mine is grounded to the subframe under the passenger seat. Just make sure the paint under the bolt is scraped off so the terminal end makes good contact.

One thing you may want to add to the system is a mic mutes Mic Mutes it shuts off the mic when not in use. You will need a pus to talk button for your wife to tap to enable the mic if she wants to talk, or have her tap you so you can enable the mic.

You will find that you have all of the volumes lowered even more. The sound quality is great, this makes it even better. I use the big ear custome era plugs with speakers built in. Cable routing is just as imporant with the J&M as with any other system. I routed mine up the left side of the airbox then out side the frame to the area under the glove box and just behind the left front turn signal behind the lower fairing. Then it is a matter of bundling all the cables to keep them neat and out of the way. The only noise I have left and it is not even noticeable if the mic is open, is the slight static from the HID lights that are installed in the normal head light area. Nothing I can do about that.

If you go the route of the mic mutes and the custom ear plugs, you will have a rattle that occurs at speed due to vibration of the switch on the J&M (on off knob, etc.) you just need to make something that touches it (I'll get a picture when I can of how I stopped it) so it doesn't vibrate. If you are riding along, all you have to do is touch it to stop the vibration.

With out that slight vibration, it sounds like a full blown concert going on. Best sound I have found anywhere by far. The communication between rider and pillion is very clear, if you have a phone in your system, it is very clear, the CB works great, the FRS radio works great (once you get the push to talk button plugged in correctly :p )

And the best part, you don't have to continually buy cables that seem to be failing all the time with other systems.

EDIT: fixed the link to mic mutes

Last edited by a moderator:
note: wifey has no CB control or even volume...passenger has VOX intercom so we can talk to each other]

we have flip helmets with mic inside the mouth guard when down with small/medium foam wind socks

SHE LISTENS TO MY CHOICE OF MUSIC AT MY CHOICE OF VOLUME...and I turn off the intercom when she is jabbering for 30minutes or more !!!

I can take the dented frying pan on my hard head better than... :eek:

edit: my latest improvement with the J&M having only one input (Music for me) and a harness system they quoted as $400 to have 3 inputs (Zumo, Radar Detector, Ipod) from harness(es) from them, I purchased an Amplirider ($65) with mono to sterio isolation cable ($15) for the Radar Detector. I use a Kensington audio filter cable from Amazon ($17) for the Zumo. It's in a small camera case between the handlebars the unit in a zip lock bag for water proofing. There another thread about all that with pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a Sena.
As much as I would love wireless, I don't want anything that I have to recharge. That's just not a viable option for the way I ride.

-MD
Get a Sena, and keep it plugged into the charger.
That might be a option then. Back in the day I had one of the original Scala headsets and it worked as advertised for the most part, but you couldn't use it and charge it.
You can use the Sena and charge it at the same time. Or better yet, just put it on the charger while you are fueling up. I didn't think I wanted a rechargable system either until I got this one. On the way out to South Carolina and back, it saw a 17 hour day and a 15 hour day and didn't die, just by using the "charge while fueling up" deal.