J&M ticking noise

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glamisking

Reaction score
My bike came with a JMCB-2003 CB/Intercom already installed and I experience a ticking noise that changes slightly with engine RPM. Any suggestions? It doesn't seem to stop even when I turn off the mic or play music through my ipod. Thanks

it's engine ignition noise...there's a J&M filter needed on the power connection to 12v positive...and any wire connection to the ipod/mp3 acts as an antenna...you want a ground loop isolation audio filter on that line and another on a Zumo connection (especially if it is used to play music)

unfortunately this really effective unit I use with my amplirider addition is male to male, not an extension male to female

I added a female to female adaptor...I also like a 90 degree adapter for my application

https://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Reducing-SmartPhone-including-iPhone/dp/B0031U1ATQ/ref=sr_1_11?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1327913046&sr=1-11

https://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-03170-Stereo-Coupler/dp/B00007FGUF/ref=pd_cp_e_3

I have no experience with this one, but it's a male to female extension

https://www.amazon.com/GROUND-LOOP-ISOLATOR-3-5-APPLICATIONS/dp/B001EAQTRI/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1327913216&sr=1-6

And check where the power to the unit is supplied from. J&M and most anyone will recommend using the tail light for power, it's switched and the least amount of interference. I have always had good luck with these units hooking them up this way. Had them on several bikes, I love it! Just make sure it's not hooked directly to the battery.

I had the ticking noise on mine. Move the source of power away from the engine. I used the power from the locking solenoid for the glove compartment, but I don't think 2003 has that. Might be able to snag it from the instrument cluster. The Kensington adapter Patriot is talking about will work, but only for the auxiliary input. You can also get a inline power filter, which actually should already be included. Adding another one could help also. CB/Intercom won't get better until you move those lines away from the engine. The longer the wires, the more noise it will pick up. Keep the runs as short as possible.

Ok I will check out where the power source is. I know it is not the battery directly because I just put in a new one last week. How can I tell if it has an inline power filter on it already?

I had the ticking noise on mine. Move the source of power away from the engine. I used the power from the locking solenoid for the glove compartment, but I don't think 2003 has that. Might be able to snag it from the instrument cluster. The Kensington adapter Patriot is talking about will work, but only for the auxiliary input. You can also get a inline power filter, which actually should already be included. Adding another one could help also. CB/Intercom won't get better until you move those lines away from the engine. The longer the wires, the more noise it will pick up. Keep the runs as short as possible.

I routed mine outside the frame on the left side (under the fairing) to get by the engine. Then I brought the cables back up along the frame to the steering head to connect to the head unit. I coiled all the excess cables underthe radiator cap area and in front of the glove box.

Ok I will check out where the power source is. I know it is not the battery directly because I just put in a new one last week. How can I tell if it has an inline power filter on it already?
pull up the J&M web site and find the parts/accessories for the JMCB-2002...you'll see it listed with pic...I believe it's the power harness with a big red plastic box in the middle wire in and wire out

.%5Clinkpix%5CJCB03-RPLF-L.jpg

https://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM-JCB03-RPLF

This is the power filter. The red box is an inline fuse. They give you plenty of wire, but you want to keep it as short as possible. One side has a connector on it, that plugs into the J&M harness. I cut a good section out of that and just soldered the wires back together. The other side is just bare wire. Anyway, that's what you're looking for.

I had a buzzing in my older Autocom unit that would vary according to engine speed. It was driving me nuts, especially at lower speeds when the road and engine noise was less. I got on EBay and looked up "in line noise filter", found one for about $10, I think it was free shipping, plugs in line with the stereo input, solved the problem completely.

So I ordered a ground loop isolator and it made absolutely no difference. The power is supplied from the rear brake light and it's grounded to the rear sub frame. I don't have the CB antenna or ground wire hooked up so they are just coiled under the passenger seat. However when I moved them around and thus distanced them from the engine it made no difference. The other thing is that the power wire 6" from the connection to the tail light has been cut and re-soldered, then wrapped with electrical tape. Could interference be entering here where the insolation was removed?

This is the noise filter I ordered which doesn't help the situation at all.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EAQTRI/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

I would talk with J&M support. They are good folks. Still sounds to me like a cable routing issue somewhere. I didn't need any special filters beyond what came with the J&M. My system has a mic-mutes in it, so I can cancel the open mic and the noise canceling circuits. With that done and using the molded ear plugs with built in speakers, any noise will be very noticeable. That being said, I did have one issue with ticking, and it was due to the routing of the cables on top of the engine which was getting the induction from the spark plugs. I routed the cables outside the frame on the left side, but under the fairing.

Also one other thing that may be causing the noise issues, is your power source. Mine is powered by a blue sea distribution box through a relay that gets power from the battery, with a clean ground all the way back to the battery. In addition, all of my auxiliary equipment that plugs into the J&M is grounded to the same ground strip and is powered from the same Blue Sea distribution point. You may be grabbing power and grounding in different areas which can cause noise issues.

So I ordered a ground loop isolator and it made absolutely no difference. The power is supplied from the rear brake light and it's grounded to the rear sub frame. I don't have the CB antenna or ground wire hooked up so they are just coiled under the passenger seat. However when I moved them around and thus distanced them from the engine it made no difference. The other thing is that the power wire 6" from the connection to the tail light has been cut and re-soldered, then wrapped with electrical tape. Could interference be entering here where the insolation was removed?

This is the noise filter I ordered which doesn't help the situation at all.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EAQTRI/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Could it be possible that you have a bad ground? One easy way to test is to just run an alligator clip back to the negative terminal of the battery. See if you see any relief that way. Cutting the insulation won't introduce noise or make it more susceptible, unless it was a metal shielding. What happens if you turn the intercom mic off, the CB Volume as low as it will go, and just use the Aux volume?

Maybe some pictures of your setup might help. Might be able to point out some possible points of improvements.

I've had the JMCB2003 on a number of bikes and could never completely eliminate the problem, even with J&M's help. I finally accepted it as a nature of the beast and solved it by replacing it with Sena's. However, to J&M's credit, it sure was a nice system when riding with a bunch of folks who also had CB's.

For the sake of enlightenment I'll add that the ticking was worse at higher volumes. Since I used custom earplugs spliced into the system I could run it at very low volume levels where the ticking wasn't noticeable. My wife wasn't so lucky - she used the helmet speakers and had to crank it to overcome windnoise and earplugs and thus had to endure the ticking.

My advice, if you don't need the CB capabilities, is to tear it out, sell it on Ebay, and pick up a pair of Sena's.