Jacket Advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerbanker

Reaction score
I need a little jacket advice. My current warm-weather jacket is a First Gear Mesh Tech II. I'm very happy with it. In cooler temps, the rain liner in the GF Mesh helps a little, but not enough. So it's time for an additional (3-season?) jacket.

My short-list includes the FG Kilimanjaro, the Tour Master Advanced, and the Joe Rocket Alter-Ego. I am leaning towards the Advanced simply because it looks better. (The Roadcrafter and Darien are above my price point.)

The Kili has the best reputation, but it looks bulky. I don't want to look like the Michelin Man. The Kili Air looks less bulky, and color-wise looks good in all-black. I'm not fond of the two-tone versions.

The Alter-Ego seems to offer the most versatility functionally, but I just can't get by the big "Rocket" on the tail. (What was their designer thinking? Some kid at the ad agency - the same one the put a huge H-D logo in the back window of his pick-up - must have talked TM into this "branding" tactic. Arg!)

The Advanced looks good, especially in red, but the tail looks way too long. The Advanced Sport just may be the ticket. But again, the tail appears very long. Were the test riders hunched over a GSXR when they made the pattern?

So before I spend my $200-300, a little real-world feedback would help steer me the right way. While my comments above focus on looks, function is equally important. Afterall, we bought our FJRs for both reasons.

Jim

I have a First Gear and a Joe Rocket for cool weather, but don't remember which model. Both have removable liners and all kinds of features.

Newenough.com is where I shop first. They have pretty good deals.

That Kilemanjaro seems to be one of the favorites out there.

I really like my Alter-Ego coat. Yes, I agree with you that I could have done without the brand name spashed across the back... But the coat does well in every riding condition that I have been in yet. Mine is the standard black one. It seems to fit me well enough for something off the rack, too. I enjoy using it. Very versatile bit of gear.

My two pennies.

John.

I've used the Cycloak Evolution jacket for a couple of years now and really like it. I recently went through Del Rio, Texas during a 4"/hour rainstorm and can tell you it kept me dry. I stayed warm in the 35 degree Rockies as well as surviving the west Texas heat (keep the air flowing through the sleeves and don't stop too long). It's constructed of Gore-Tex with a removable liner. Well made with a lot of storage. MSRP is over $350.00, but I've seen it on-line for less than $200.00

My pick for sub $300 is the Kilimanjaro from Firstgear. Newenough.com has them on sale right now for $259.00. They also have the air version for $243.00 but I'm not sure of its cold weather abilities.

newenough.com firstgear kilimanjaro jacket

motorcyclecloseouts.com has it for $224.88

Last edited by a moderator:
olympia Motor Sport is making on that I picked up for about 200. It's a good saler right now and avaible lots of places. The jacket is also very comfortable and with the liner is a good 3 season jacket.

My pick for sub $300 is the Kilimanjaro from Firstgear.  Newenough.com has them on sale right now for $259.00.  They also have the air version for $243.00 but I'm not sure of its cold weather abilities.
The Kili Air comes with a very nice insulated, waterproof, and breathable liner and is my favorite all around riding jacket. However, if you are looking at the possibility of a lot of rain and/or sub 50 degree temperatures, the standard Kili is a better option. The standard Kili is not a good option if the temperature is going to be over 80-85 degrees.

You might take a look at one of these. I bought one last season and really like it.Teknic
Thats a nice looking jacket you have there. Ebay has them for $169.00 plus $15.00 shipping

I also like the look of the teknic sprint jacket.

I also like the look of the teknic sprint jacket.
I have looked at the Teknic Sprint jacket in a showroom and was very impressed with the quality and the fit. The Teknic Cyclone and Monsoon are also very impressive.

Before you buy you should check out MotorcycleGearReview.com

(Thread hop): Here's what you can do and get away with a kick ass cold weather jacket for cheap(minus a few bruises). Clip a deer going 55mph. Make sure you aim for the head area. This will reduce the damage to you and your motorcycle. Have your chaser load the deer, cut and dry, tan and what not. Wahlah....deer skin jacket and a meal to boot as you heal from road rash. Make sure you borrow momma's knife to cut the paw....err...hoof out of the radiator grid.

Joe Rocket Blaster on sale from New Enough right now for $185. Really hard to beat it for that price. Leather, armor, stylish, with zip in insulating vest. Regularly about $330, I think.

Look for an Olympia Ventura--good looking, comfortable, 3 seasons.

And saved me from far worse injuries in a get-off. The armor WORKS!

Look for it to be on sale to get it under $300.

Consider going to the Internet BMW Riders site and shopping the Marketplace. Lots of pre-owned Roadcrafters and Dariens at your $300 price point or a little less. Buy one of these, or maybe luck out and find a like-new two piece Roadcrafter for $500 or less. Then when you need just a jacket....zipppp. And there ya go! Your bod will be glad ya did, first time ya fall down. Ask me how I know.

IBMWR Marketplace for Clothing:

https://www.ibmwr.org/market/adlist.php?cat=cls

How about keeping the jacket you have and adding a Widder electric vest? ;)

Now you have all temperatures covered when your touring !

I really like the Joe Rocket Alter Ego but I could do without the name on it--hell,I'd pay more without the name on it.

It really is 4 jackets in one (plus liner). If its cold (or raining) use the liner. If its cool,button it up without the liner. If is a little cool,open the vents. If its hot,remove the outer cover.

I travel with only one jacket now.

My wife and I ride with FG Kilamanjaro Air's.

They are 4 season jackets for us, but we don't have four seasons in Sacramento. I have ridden over Donner Pass in the Sierra in Winter at 27 degrees in the KilamanJaro air and Sacramento in 106 degrees. The jacket is just good. No complaints.

So good, that my wife bought one too and she's much happier now on cooler rides.