Jacket recommendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat C

Reaction score
I live in the Northeast CT, I'm looking for a jacket that will keep me comfortable in the early mourning and later evening commutes. I have a leather jacket looking for something different.

Are you ready to be pummeled with info, Pat?

Question... when you say "looking for something different" I am assuming that you mean a textile jacket?

Top of the line for cooler weather & outstanding venting is Aerostich. Not cheap... but good stuff. I used to own a Cycloak GT Pro jacket which was crashed last year. The GT Pro has Kevlar material in high impact areas. It stood up outstandingly well & was rock solid waterproof (Goretex). You can still find them around every now and then. I am now sporting a different model Cycloak jacket that I don't like anywhere near as much.

Good luck in your quest. There are a lot of really decent jackets out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the tourmaster mesh, comes with rain liner and quilt liner. You can use all or one or the other. I have been in 106 degrees in south Texas and while moving the mesh is just right to keep off sun and is actually cooler than just a long sleeve shirt. You have to take it off if your not moving. I have not used it in winter but think it would be ok unless below 40.

Tested my Olympia jackets and air mesh pants in Scotland for 10 days. Incredible country with lot's of rain. Temperature 43f to 65f in July. Lot's of pockets, inner liner for both pants and jackets, lot's armour everywhere. My guides wore leather kangaroo full suites but when it rained they had to add rain gear. The jacket has 4 zippered vents to keep you cool. I wore the outfit with out liners last Sunday in Florida(90F) it was warm when you stopped(what isn't) but I don't like asphalt rash.

Pat is from NE Conneticut. I'd assume that he's not looking for a mesh suit.

I like the Olympia Mesh Tex. With the liners in place, it's as warm and toasty as any other bike gear I've worn, and waterproof too. The armor feels solid, yet is unobtrusive while riding.

Jill

I have the Olympia AST jacket and love it. Probably perfect for your climate. Here in VA it's a 3 season and on real mild days in the summer, a 4 season jacket. I got the neon yellow and feel like I'm invisible when I wear my not neon yellow mesh jacket. I think the hardest part of buying gear is deciding what to buy .. plenty of good stuff out there, but I think this one stands out.

I use an Alpine Stars Air Flo mesh - plain black, no colorful logos etc.

Plenty of venting, full arm zip out liner, armor in the elbows and shoulder.

Crash tested last one and it held up just fine - still use it as a back up.

I have an hour commute and it was 48 F this morning - with the liner in and a sweatshirt I was very comfortable. I'll lose the sweatshirt for the ride home (83F) and I'll be very comfortable.

About $160 from New Enough.

Good Luck.

I wore the Kilimanjaro for a couple years and the Olympia AST this season. The Kili was more waterproof and a little warmer when it dropped below 40 F. The pockets are not easy to use. The Olympia has better venting so it is more comfortable on warm days, and still warm enough with the liner in and vents closed to wear on cold mornings. The Olympia is not as good in the rain, OK in light rain but I get wet through it in heavy prolonged rain. Pockets on the Oly are much more convenient to use.

Between the two I'd choose the Olympia over the Kili. Price is about the same.

OTOH, I like the First Gear HT pants better than the Olympia Patrol pants. The Patrols are just too warm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big fan of the Tourmaster Flex jacket. From the ads:

The Tour Master Flex jacket is like two jackets in one. This jacket easily converts from a full-coverage denier jacket to a mesh style warm weather jacket via removable panels on the front, rear and inner arms. The Flex Jacket also includes two high quality liners that extend the temperature range of the jacket dramatically. The first liner is a windproof/ waterproof liner and the second liner which is a insulated thermal liner can be added when the temps drop. With the heavy-duty armor this jacket offers more crash protection than most mesh-style jackets.
I've run with the gen I version for almost three years, and it works great for me. The gen II version is the one in stores now, with upgrades to the zippers, the collar and the cuffs.

In SoCal, I run with the mesh setup from April through October, then add the outer shell when things get cold. The rain liner works well, but it's internal, so you'll stay dry but the outer layer of the jacket will not - I normally just put on a rain suit instead. The quilted liner is very warm, but can be a little bulky.

I have the Field Sheer Moto Morph.

It has a inner jacket you can zip out and a outer shell you can zip off.

I keep the outer shell on for the morning ride and take it off for the ride home.

Pat,

Tourmaster is probably the best value, regardless of the model you select. Aerostitch is the RR of textile clothing but I'm not sure it's worth the extra $$$. First Gear, Olympia and Field Sheer are in the same class as Tourmaster, I just don't have first hand experience with them. I own both Tourmaster mesh and solid jackets and have taken advantage of the armour in my jacket.

In most cases, it's like life insurance. You hate to spend the money, but you're foolish if you don't.

OBD

Pat is from NE Conneticut. I'd assume that he's not looking for a mesh suit.
Olypmia jacket is not a mesh jacket. It is waterproof Goretex with armour and venting. The liner is also waterproof. Worked in Scotland for 5 straight days of moderate rain and temperature in the 40's. Air meah paints are armoured in seats, hips and knees. Water proof except for airflow mesh above knees. Add the liner and you are waterproof and good down into the 30's.

Look at the Cycleport kevlar stuff from www.motoport.com.
I'm in central CT and I just received an email with my Fed Ex tracking number from Motoport. I am getting the Kevlar mesh jacket with liner (and their gloves). Makes it a year round jacket for me. btw I ride ALL year - as long as there is no snow / ice on the roads I'll ride in the winter.

First Gear - Kilimajaro 4.0
CLICKY

Jay

'04 FJR 1300
+1 on the Kilimanjaro.

You can also check the reviews and what others wrote on WebBikeWorld.com As disclosure, I've known the site owner for a number of years and have written a couple of "how to" and review articles for him. Like MCN, Rick outright buys most of the stuff to review, rather than feeling like he owes a good review to some provider. There is also a link to a page where he re-sells a lot of the gear he bought for reviews.