Jacket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR_pig

Bud Light Real Man of Genius
Reaction score
I'm planning on a new Roadcrafter next fall, but between now and then, I'm looking for a lightweight jacket to go thru the summer with. Anyone own or know anything about Icon's jackets, specifically the Icon Merc? Online, it looks like an okay jacket, but I haven't seen it in person... <_<

The Helmet Shop has them for about $130. Looking for some feedback on the price, too if anyone has info.

Thanks.

I have a First Gear cordura mesh jacket with a zip out liner. It is padded in the shoulders back & elbow. I found it fairly comfy last summer if you can get comfy in 90 -95 + with 80 % + humidity. I love the South.

I don't have an Icon jacket, but I do have a pair of their gloves. I wouldn't really recommend them based on the gloves I have. The velcro for the wrist closure came completely unsewn on the day I got them, and I had to sew them back in place (were special order size, couldn't return, and didn't feel like dealing with warranty for something simple). At a year old, the gloves are completely shot and need to be replaced. The weather is worn through in sections, the padding on the palm is about to fall off because the stitching has worn through, and the black color of the leather has faded about 5x faster than my joe rocket jacket.

I also have one of their tankbags, which has held up a little better. And you're only planning to use the jacket for one season, but I still hate to buy something that doesn't last.

I used to wear Joe Rocket when riding in hot summer weather, now I've got Alpinestars T-Magnum. It is very good and it even look cool.T-Magnum
Thanks for the info, that jacket isn't really my style. I'd feel like I'm wearing a baseball jersey. :nea:

Maybe I'm just too old and set in my ways?

I have an Icon Motorhead leather jacket, and I'm really happy with it - good quality, thick, and have survived a get-off with no problems.

I'll echo some of what slapnpop says about gloves tho. I have a pair of Tarmac gloves that didn't even last a whole season before they were stitching out. Strangely I have a pair of thier heavy Gauntlet-style gloves that I love - they're two seasons old and still strong.

So.. maybe "uneven" is the word.

I have an Icon Motorhead leather jacket, and I'm really happy with it - good quality, thick, and have survived a get-off with no problems.
Nice. Thanks - I've been hoping for some good feedback on the jacket. I really liked the look of the Merc. I need to find a dealer in my area so I can put some eyes on one in person.

I have the Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0, (includes a zip out liner) I live in Florida and the mesh works for those hot days. Spine pad, elbow pads. Cost $130-$150.

I bought one just like this one at the Chicago cycle show,paid $71.00

https://www.newenough.com/tour_master_draft...jacket_page.htm

blue.jpg

And i just picked up a cortech denim jacket off of ebay for cheap too. 62+10 shipping.

f2_1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know if you can get them, but I got an IXON SISMIC jacket. It's made in France. It's well made with mesh panels front and back and on the sleeves, has two removable liners, a quilted winter liner, and a waterproof liner with taped seams. Full CE armour.

I'm up in Canada but I can only find this Brit site with info: https://www.bikers-shop.co.uk/product_detail.asp?PID=5

Their stuff is easy to find up here.

good luck

Anyone ride in FieldSheer gear? Looked at a nice jacket made by them over the weekend, but chickened out on purchasing it. Maybe next weekend...