Jackets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farkles

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
Ok I am looking to buy a joe rocket jacket.

https://newenough.com/protective_apparel/te...cle_jacket.html

But the site says not good for hot weather. So which one is reccommended by this esteemed group for hot weather? :dribble:

Ok thanks one thing is I use the bike for work and ride to customer sites then get off fix then get back on to go to another place. Need something that can be taken off and put on easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
So which one is recommended by this esteemed group for hot weather? :dribble:
One? :lol: Surely you jest!

Here's my recommendation. And it'll work all year with the optional liner. The cost? To quote the legendary Gleno, "Buy the best, cry once". What's your skin worth to you?

What are you doing to protect the lower extremities?

This is a good jacket to consider.....one jacket for all weather conditions. Link

Also, look at the Venture Air Mesh pants....one pant for all conditions.

I'm beginning to see other textile manufactures going to these system jackets.

System jackets have been a part of the Outdoor Industry for years. Now it's coming into the MC industry more and more.

Hope this helps.

Ok I am looking to buy a joe rocket jacket. https://newenough.com/protective_apparel/te...cle_jacket.html

But the site says not good for hot weather. So which one is reccommended by this esteemed group for hot weather? :dribble:
I'm not sure what you mean by "hot" (how hot is hot?) but I have a Joe Rocket "Sonic" in perforated leather that I like. I team this up with a pair of perforated leather First Gear "Sport Tour Overpants".

For 95 F + temps, I use a First Gear "MeshTex 2" jacket instead of the Sonic. But, I'm thinking of replacing the MeshTex with a one-piece Motoport "Ultra Mesh Kevlar" suit which should offer the protection of leather and the coolness of polyester mesh.

That looks aweful close to my JR Revolution Jacket. Yeah, it's too damn hot in the summer but it's a great jacket for the other 1/2 of the year.

How many jackets is enough?

I have way too many:

JR Mesh, couple years old now, don't wear it anymore cause it's RED and my bike isn't, there are also questions as to it's ability to actually protect you.

I have a JR SuperSport Yamaha Jacket, which is one of my favorites. It's not toooo hot, but on a 90+ degree day it is.

I picked up a Yamaha Jacket (mesh) from a guy that won it at EOM. It's my current favorite for hot weather riding. Have mesh pants too. The liner is a joke, for the rain, it does keep you dry but it doesn't breath, so it's like riding in a sauna.

Mesh, should not be made in black. It's hot enough as it is, but it seems most pants are black. Go figure.

I also have a FieldShear 1 piece, it's not too hateful as long as it's not above 80 degrees.

So all in all, if I had it to do over again, I'd probably buy a Stitch, or the new Olympia one piece. Though, 2 pieces are a lot more flexible.

That looks aweful close to my JR Revolution Jacket. Yeah, it's too damn hot in the summer but it's a great jacket for the other 1/2 of the year.
How many jackets is enough?

I have way too many:

JR Mesh, couple years old now, don't wear it anymore cause it's RED and my bike isn't, there are also questions as to it's ability to actually protect you.

I have a JR SuperSport Yamaha Jacket, which is one of my favorites. It's not toooo hot, but on a 90+ degree day it is.

I picked up a Yamaha Jacket (mesh) from a guy that won it at EOM. It's my current favorite for hot weather riding. Have mesh pants too. The liner is a joke, for the rain, it does keep you dry but it doesn't breath, so it's like riding in a sauna.

Mesh, should not be made in black. It's hot enough as it is, but it seems most pants are black. Go figure.

I also have a FieldShear 1 piece, it's not too hateful as long as it's not above 80 degrees.

So all in all, if I had it to do over again, I'd probably buy a Stitch, or the new Olympia one piece. Though, 2 pieces are a lot more flexible.

Tell me more about the JR Mesh not protecting you? Mine has armor and nylon sleeves.

???

Dutch1201

I have two mesh jackets, two textile jackets and two leather jackets, all with armour. I think I have just about all weather conditions covered.

I said it before and I will say it again..Joe Rocket jackets are not made as well as others and cost more..

I have a Fieldsheer Aviator and a Firstgear Mesh. Covers most weather. The Firstgear mesh is light, breaths well and has armor where you need it, and cost about $50 less the the Joe Rocket mesh.

I also have a few other jackets but the two above get worn the most.

KM

Get a Mesh jacket with a good wind/water proof liner. That + layering and an evaporative vest will cover all conditions. I recommend Kevlar from CyclePort

Get a Mesh jacket with a good wind/water proof liner. That + layering and an evaporative vest will cover all conditions. I recommend Kevlar from CyclePort
I concur. I had leftover Goretex gear from snowmobiling and combine a mesh Joe Rocket with my Klim. Clicky here for a funky fusion of sports gear.

Ok I am looking to buy a joe rocket jacket. https://newenough.com/protective_apparel/te...cle_jacket.html

Ok thanks one thing is I use the bike for work and ride to customer sites then get off fix then get back on to go to another place. Need something that can be taken off and put on easily.
Check these out. I have tested this jacket from 18deg to 90+ and it works great. Truly an all weather jacket.

I recommend this one https://newenough.com/protective_apparel/me...cle_jacket.html or this one https://newenough.com/protective_apparel/me...cle_jacket.html

I have a Joe Rocket similar to the first one and I wear it regular here in Central Florida.

Fred

Check out the Olympia stuff.

Well made, great visibility and excellent design. I wear mine in all temps.

It is the only jacket that I have owned that is truely 4 season.

I bought mine from motoliberty.com

I have this one:

voyager_red.jpg

If you prefer a 3/4

mensasttouringjacket_neon.jpg

You can actually See people SEE you.

I recently took a recommendation from the forum and bought a Cortech GX Air mesh jacket in silver. I too ride to work with frequent one hour daily side commutes. Around here defines hot. Typically 95+F with 99% humidity.

So the previous post that asked how "hot" is "hot", is the most important question. IMO the best jacket you can purchase is one that you can stand to wear all the time.

The Cortech GX Air comes with a nice two-piece liner that can be worn in any of the three configs; mesh outer only, mesh outer with waterproof/windproof liner, or both of the previous plus the quilted liner for colder weather.

So far, my GX Air has been quite comfy from 40F to 85F with normal street clothes underneath. Above 90F extended rides are going to require something like a evaporative cooling vest and sacrificial clothes to stay nice and comfy.

Fieldsheer also makes a very similar mesh jacket that has a liner system that can be purchased separately.

Don't forget to focus on color. If you need to stay cool in truly hot weather then macho black becomes mucho stupido.

IMO, and I have personal experience with this, the Cycleport Kevlar Mesh suit is NOT, I repeat NOT, suitable for what I call hot weather. IMO 80F would be it's maximum temp limit for any extended comfort.

I said it before and I will say it again..Joe Rocket jackets are not made as well as others and cost more..(snip)
I'm with Knifemaker, and I'm done with Joe Rocket. Their stuff has always fallen apart for me. Then again, I haven't bought anything from them in about three years, so maybe quality has gone up.

I also swap between two jackets -- a Tourmaster Transition most of the time and a Teknic mesh jacket for over 80. The Teknic's just okay. The Tourmaster is the best bang-for-the-buck jacket I've owned.

Jacket design seems to be advancing pretty quickly. There must be the perfect 4 season jacket coming soon.

After giving up on Joe Rocket gear, I've been very happy with my Tourmaster Flex jacket.

In its standard setup, it's a full-shell textile jacket, which is ideal for most of my late fall, winter, and early spring rides. When rain hits, there's a zip-in rain/wind liner, which in turn has a zip-in quilted insert for extra warmth.

For hot days, the outer shell zips off, revealing a full-mesh interior shell. I spend most of the year here in SoCal in this mode, and it keeps me cool (even in black). It has CE armor in the elbow and shoulder, and a good quality foam back protector. I have about 15k miles on it, as my one and only jacket (except in heavy rain, when I add a Nelson-Rigg rain suit).

86-401.jpg

+1 on having Joe Rocket not last and won't spend another dime on them.

Hot days I wear a silver FirstGear mesh jacet and kevlar pants. Keep thinking that some day I'll get mesh pants.

Have ridden with a Kilimanjaro since they came out. Great jacket in the 20's and up to about 80 degrees, but then I'm soaked with sweat. Also have their Overpants to match and the pants have doubled as ski pants.

But for almost every day, I love my Papa Smurf blue Aerostitch for commuting. Open the vents and it's a lot cooler than the Kilimanjaro, my office clothes stay clean, plus I can't leave my leg protection at home.

Bob

After giving up on Joe Rocket gear, I've been very happy with my Tourmaster Flex jacket.
In its standard setup, it's a full-shell textile jacket, which is ideal for most of my late fall, winter, and early spring rides. When rain hits, there's a zip-in rain/wind liner, which in turn has a zip-in quilted insert for extra warmth.

For hot days, the outer shell zips off, revealing a full-mesh interior shell. I spend most of the year here in SoCal in this mode, and it keeps me cool (even in black). It has CE armor in the elbow and shoulder, and a good quality foam back protector. I have about 15k miles on it, as my one and only jacket (except in heavy rain, when I add a Nelson-Rigg rain suit).

86-401.jpg
Thats what I just bought. On order as we speak.

As allways thanks for all the suggestions this is a great group.

IMO, and I have personal experience with this, the Cycleport Kevlar Mesh suit is NOT, I repeat NOT, suitable for what I call hot weather. IMO 80F would be it's maximum temp limit for any extended comfort.
Hey Jeff,

Are you sure you mean their kevlar mesh and not their regular kevlar suit? I've read that it's cooler than the Aerostitch and offers better abrasion resistance. I've also read that polyurethan coated nylon can melt into your skin when dragged on the pavement so this is why I've been looking into the kevlar stuff.