Jackets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=12pt]Farkles,[/SIZE]

I have a Joe Rocket Atomic III mesh jacket. It is OK, best feature is it's mesh is wide and you get more air quickly! Worst feature; the liner! Yes it is water proof but you will sweet you fanny off. I also have a First Gear Kilimanjaro II but is way to warm above 75 deg. F. Last October I bought a Cortech GX Air with leather jacket. Nice jacket, has a two in one liner that really works and the mesh is a lot closer weave without sacrificing air flow. Here is a Pict and the link to the Cortech site:

h_kq_yellow.jpg
kq_alternate.jpg
https://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.ph...d=10&cat=25

Also have the Tour Master Venture Air Pant:

h_td.jpg
https://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.ph...d=227&cat=4

Got them from Tonker.com - they call it the GX Sport Jacket - $138.00

So far 5,678 miles in all types of weather and temp from 37 deg F to 91 deg F and not a single complaint, but ware a turtle neck or neck warmer in the cold air, the jacket is cut short in the collar.

Hope that helps,

Violione

First off, one jacket is not enough. I also prefer leather for the extra protection it affords although I do have a one piece Fieldsheer unit for cold weather. I personally have a closet full of Vanson stuff and really like their full perf jacket for anytime it is above 80 degrees.

Keep them comming, I'm looking for a new mesh jacket also.

My last three gear purchases have been with newenough.com. Their prices are good and the service has been fast.

There is an Icon mesh jacket on display at my local bike outfitter's shop that was worn in an 80mph get-off. It's pretty thrashed, but saved the owner a bunch of road rash. Actually quite impressive.

IMO, and I have personal experience with this, the Cycleport Kevlar Mesh suit is NOT, I repeat NOT, suitable for what I call hot weather. IMO 80F would be it's maximum temp limit for any extended comfort.
I think relative humidity would have a lot to do with qualifying that statement, as I find my suit relatively comfortable in the western temps of 105+. Also, a lot has to do with properly selected undergarments, of which I'm still experimenting. Bare skin in those temps under mesh is not the answer!

Get a Mesh jacket with a good wind/water proof liner. That + layering and an evaporative vest will cover all conditions. I recommend Kevlar from CyclePort
Any talk of an upcoming WFO-based Cycleport group buy, where participants could be measured on site and place their orders at that time? That way, folks could touch the stuff, talk to its developer, get properly fitted, and score a discount all at once!

Bare skin in those temps under mesh is not the answer!
I almost always wear short-sleeve shirts to work. To avoid bare skin under my mesh, I cut the arms off a couple of light-weight, long-sleeve tee shirts. I pull these half-sleeves on before I put my jacket on. (This also keeps the inside of the jacket cleaner.)

If anyone is still looking, motoemporium.com is selling the Tour Master Intake mesh jacket for 116.99 with free shipping. It uses the same 2 liner system as the Cortech GX Air -- a waterproof/windproof liner and a full sleeve quilted liner. That will carry you through a lot of weather changes.

First Gear Kili II for 20 - 70 degrees. HT Air Overpants for 20 - 50 degrees (only wear the liner if it's going to rain - I stay plenty warm enough with jeans and the overpants w/o liner).

First Gear Mesh Tex II jacket for ~60 and above (it's "ok" for short rides with the liner in the 50s, but not for extended riding). Olympia Airglide overpants mostly for 70 degrees and above. I wear them w/o liner and w/o any trou underneath. Better venilated (mesh) then the HT Air overpants - also cut closer so they work well w/o trou underneath. They also silver so they help keep the heat off. They come with a waterproof quilted liner - I wore 'em once with the liner (no trou underneath) in 40 degrees and they were fine. These will be my main warm/hot wx pants.

My humble opinion is that it would be difficult - for me - to get one jacket to serve from ~20 to 100 degrees and I'll always have 2. I "think" I could use the Airglide overpants year round my only concern is that their "tighter" cut would make them somewhat tight in cold wx with the quilted liner and trousers combined.