Jan 28th Sat Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzkenoman

Reaction score
Ok guys,

Plenty of time to think this out, 9am kickstands up (someone suggest a meeting place in escondido) we will start out at hwy 15 & 78 towards Julian, 78 to the Salton Sea, north on 86 into Palm Desert. 74 west through 7 corners and up into Garner Valley and stop at the Paradise Corner Cafe at the 371. 371 to 79 into temecula at Hwy 15. There can be several staging areas in the morning before we start and ride up with your buddies, since I am in Laguna I'll meet anyone who wants to join at Hwy 5 & 74 at the east side Chevron station at 8:15am. Depending on the weather, last time we rode through Garner Valley it was very cool, and some of the guys wished they had heated grips.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got an email from someone who would like to go but asked of an alternative route to meet us. So here was my suggestion: Instead of going on 78 to the Salton Sea, take the 79 to 371 into Garner Valley and stop for lunch at the Paradise Corner Cafe at 371 and the 74 corner. You can take the 371 back down to 76 into pala and ride home, that will take about 50 miles or more off your ride. If you have alittle time to ride, you should ride that short run on 74 to Palm Desert, or at least try the 7 corners, where they have those 7 beautiful 1/4 mile left & right hand sweeps. Just doing that small section will make your day.

3rd option would be to take 76 at Pala around Lake Henshaw to 79. Take 79 north to 371 east to the corner of 74 and 371 at Paradise Corner Cafe. We will have our lunch there anyways, and that will be even shorter.

I got an email from someone who would like to go but asked of an alternative route to meet  us.  So here was my suggestion:  Instead of going on 78 to the Salton Sea, take the 79 to 371 into Garner Valley and stop for lunch at the Paradise Corner Cafe at 371 and the 74 corner. You can take the 371 back down to 76 into pala and ride home, that will take about 50 miles or more off your ride. If you have alittle time to ride, you should ride that short run on 74 to Palm Desert, or at least try the 7 corners, where they have those 7 beautiful 1/4 mile left & right hand sweeps. Just doing that small section will make your day.
3rd option would be to take 76 at Pala around Lake Henshaw to 79.  Take 79 north to 371 east to the corner of 74 and 371 at Paradise Corner Cafe.  We will have our lunch there anyways, and that will be even shorter.
I might be up for this.

I've done the 78 > 79 > 371 > 74 > 243 many times now, it’s actually one of my favorite rides. I usually stop at the Idyllwild Cafe for breakfast and finish down the 243 to the 10 then back up the 74 from Palm Desert to the 371. I've wanted to stop at that Paradise Corner Cafe as I've passed it numerous times but never have, so this sounds pretty good to me.

WAITING SUCKS !!!

I WANT MY BIKE NOW !!!!!

:agent: :angry: :agent: :angry:

(Can I come along if I promise to pedal my Schwinn reaaaalllllyyyy fast ? )

WAITING SUCKS !!!
I WANT MY BIKE NOW !!!!!

:agent:   :angry:   :agent:   :angry:

(Can I come along if I promise to pedal my Schwinn reaaaalllllyyyy fast ? )
You can come with your Schwinn but I think you're going to need a Cee Bailey windshield first and probably add a playing card to the spokes so you get that nice FJR sound.

So far, the 28th is looking good for me to participate though it has been quite cold lately...

ZZ, good to see you setting up frequent group rides in the Inland Empire SD area. I will plan on helping out with these rides when I get back in the saddle, expected around 16 March 06. I have ridden almost every good road in this area over the past 2.5 years with the Ole Foggie Riders group.

Look forward to joining you soon. The Sunrise Hwy is a great southward run towards the border>

That would be great TurboDave, I need help on most of the areas because I don't know how the roads are in the inland areas of southern calif being that I've lived here a short period of time in OC. So your tactical help is appreciated.

Some have asked if I would do a similar ride the following week to provide some of the riders the same enjoyment but on a sunday. Because I am so nice, We will ride on both Saturday Jan 28th, and repeat the route on Feb 5th Sunday. Hows that guys?

That would be great TurboDave, I need help on most of the areas because I don't know how the roads are in the inland areas of southern calif being that I've lived here a short period of time in OC. So your tactical help is appreciated.
Some have asked if I would do a similar ride the following week to provide some of the riders the same enjoyment but on a sunday. Because I am so nice, We will ride on both Saturday Jan 28th, and repeat the route on Feb 5th Sunday. Hows that guys?
Sound like fun, I work 9 out of 10 Saturdays so can usually can only do Sunday rides.

It looks like there are several guys that would prefer Sunday. It might be better to move this ride to Sunday Jan 29 to accomodate more riders(?). I can do either.

- Mike

Mike,

I'll do the Jan 28th, and those that want the sunday ride, can ride on Febuary 5th. This way I will be able to check out the route conditions, time it takes to do the ride, and mileage. I have invited some friends that you met who have cruisers which will join on the 28th, so if the majority of FJR riders want "no speed restrictions", then sunday the 5th on the repeat ride would be better. Either way, doing both weekends are going to be fun anyways.

Mike remember this place, 7 corners. It will be alot of fun going the opposite way, I just did that this saturday. I think I'll start looking for some hocky puck pants cause I just about needed it doing these fun corners.

7-Corners.jpg

Mike remember this place, 7 corners.  It will be alot of fun going the opposite way, I just did that this saturday.  I think I'll start looking for some hocky puck pants cause I just about needed it doing these fun corners.
7-Corners.jpg
Yep! Definitely a great ride. My only complaint last time was freezing my butt off as we went through the mountains. Hopefully things will heat up a bit this weekend...

Zzkenoman,
Does this look like it's still going to happen Saturday and if so, where should we meet in Escondido? The closest gas station appears to be:

Chevron Stations Inc

(760) 233-2397

761 N Broadway

Escondido, CA 92025

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Chevro...808112598222606
Chevron sounds good in escondido, and so far the weather still looks good for saturday. Have you been to that Chevron, can you see it off the exit? Let me know, otherwise we need to find any place that is closest to the freeway exit or some large landmark we will be able to easily see, before we exit and meet up. So for the record, it is still a Go for the saturday ride.

Also, I was reminded last night by Jim, that the repeat ride on Sunday Feb 5 is Superbowl sunday. So since none of my california teams are not playing, plus I have tivo, plus I presume the roads will be absolutely empty, it would still be a great day to ride.

I don't think I've ever been to this Cheveron and I don't think you can see it from the exit. But it's just east of the freeway and on Broadway so it probably easy to find. What time to you expect to be there?