Joe Rocket Sahara Vests $40

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wore a Sahara vest on the ride up I-5 through California's Central Valley to last year's WFO. It made all the difference on that 110 degree day.

+1 on the heads up. Was planning one this season...and it being cheaper is a definite bonus!

I have used Sahara vest for the last 3 years and they work great -- but you also need to be wearing a mesh jacket and have a lot of airflow over the windshield to make them work properly. I put the stock windshield back on when I wear the vest.

I put the stock windshield back on when I wear the vest.
Good suggestion. I just wonder if I'll regret it when it's less than hot out. Can't be changing screens on the daily plan.

How much do these things weigh when wet? I have this image in my mind of a 10 lb weight around my neck pulling me down onto the tank! But I would be cooler :coolio:

Having done the dunk a t-shirt trick with my mesh Joe Rocket in the past I think of this thing as an improvement on the theme. Instead of drying out a half hour I start riding the vest is supposed to last longer and keep the water over a wider area.

I concur that it works better with more airflow, but I think it will work fine with my barndoor CB +4+2 as well if I keep it in it's down position.

Go to the web site on the clicky in an upper post. I believe 4 pound when fully hydrated. Last from i-3 hours on an unfaired bike, longer for fairings.

Toecutter; have you given any thought about running one of those Calif Scientific screens with the holes cut in them?

How much do these things weigh when wet?  I have this image in my mind of a 10 lb weight around my neck pulling me down onto the tank!  But I would be cooler :coolio:
The vest will absorb one to one and half quarts of water, about 2-3 pounds. The vest itself only weighs a few ounces.

Having done the dunk a t-shirt trick with my mesh Joe Rocket in the past I think of this thing as an improvement on the theme. 
I did that once in 100 degree heat with a mesh jacket and it felt like I was packed in ice for about 20 minutes -- then the shirt was dry and I was hot again. The vests give a much slower release of water and will last from 60-90 minutes depending on the temperature and airflow. By that time you are ready to take a break.

The first time you charge the vest its best to soak it in a bag for 2 minutes. After that you can just hold it under a faucet.

Toecutter; have you given any thought about running one of those Calif Scientific screens with the holes cut in them?
Not until I need a new screen. I have kind of an extenuating circumstance which doesn't allow me to ride very comfortably in the wind- Deadly bee allergy. Maybe in five years the desensitizing shots will make a difference and I can survive a sting. Last one damn near did me in. If not for an intercom system and a wife who didn't panic when I quit breathing, you'd a never heard of me.

I need to rig something to protect my exposed neck without heating me out. Maybe I can get a chunk of the mesh kevlar and affix it to the bottom of my helmet...

Toecutter...wouldn't it be easier to get the screen [of whatever is the appropriate height for you] & just screen it (meaning window screening to keep bugs out)...wouldn't that be simpler than trying to find Kevlar mesh for your neck...or at least give you another option?

It would also reduce back pressure & turbulence from the wind & keep you cooler....just a suggestion...not meaning any offence...

It would also reduce back pressure & turbulence from the wind & keep you cooler....just a suggestion...not meaning any offence...
I'd like to try the screen to see if it puts enough wind through. There was a windscreen swap & ride scheduled once but I don't think it drew much attendance. As it is, I worry about the gap between the frame and body letting a (stunned) bee through and into my neck, and I don't want to screen that area (it would look bad and probably scratch the paint). So, I figure the best way to be sure would be to protect my body, then I could drop the screen or put the stocker back on for mucho, safe airflow in the local heat. Do you have a Cal Sci screen? If so, how much ventilation does it provide? Enough to get good flow on the Sahara vest? I can't imagine it working that well, but I could be pleasantly surprised. Maybe someone will have one at WFO to try out.

Last edited by a moderator: