Joined the 2013 club

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jer

Reaction score
I arrived back in Oregon from Calyfornyia on Monday. Wednesday I went out to Power Yamaha in Sublimity, Oregon, 24 miles from my home in Salem, and purchased a new 2013 FJR. I picked it up Friday April 26, 2013. I was too lazy to sell my '07 so traded it in.

It was in the sport mode when I rode it home and man does the acceleration feel great. Scooter is just jealous. The only thing I don't like about the new bike is the shield. I had a Rifle on my '07 and it really gave me a quiet ride. It will take some time to learn how to operate the different systems.

I forgot to mention for those folks that are having trouble getting their FJR on the center stand. My little 160# can make the '13 jump up on the stand with very little effort. What an improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a club?
smile.png

I picked mine up March 2nd. It doesn't take long to figure out the displays. I run mine in sport mode all the time. The only difference that I can find between Tour and Sport is that Tour just takes a lot more turning to do anything. I've broken my right hand and wrist so many times I can't get full throttle in Tour mode without starting with a very high wrist.

Please tell me where to join this club you speak of. ;)

I'm interested in that canyon cage you speak of.

There's a club?
smile.png

I picked mine up March 2nd. It doesn't take long to figure out the displays. I run mine in sport mode all the time. The only difference that I can find between Tour and Sport is that Tour just takes a lot more turning to do anything. I've broken my right hand and wrist so many times I can't get full throttle in Tour mode without starting with a very high wrist.

Please tell me where to join this club you speak of.
wink.png

You own a 2013, so you have already joined the club. Apparently you forgot all of the comments when Richard and Warchild posted that they had received their 2013's.

Richards's bike was used for the design of the 2013 canyon cage. Look in the FJR specific area for Richards following of the design with pictures.

Way to go, Jerry. Guess you'll be hitting every gathering west of the Great Lakes for the rest of the summer, right? I'm a little envious.

I forgot to mention that I ordered the "Richard" endorsed canyon cage. Hope nothing bad happens before it arrives the middle of May.
Or after. :)

There's a club?
smile.png

Please tell me where to join this club you speak of.
wink.png

You own a 2013, so you have already joined the club. Apparently you forgot all of the comments when Richard and Warchild posted that they had received their 2013's.

Richards's bike was used for the design of the 2013 canyon cage. Look in the FJR specific area for Richards following of the design with pictures.
I've been following that thread. I suspect I'll be buying the Canyon Cage.

Way to go, Jerry. Guess you'll be hitting every gathering west of the Great Lakes for the rest of the summer, right? I'm a little envious.

I forgot to mention that I ordered the "Richard" endorsed canyon cage. Hope nothing bad happens before it arrives the middle of May.
Or after.
smile.png
Thanks Mike. The bad I was thinking of was a stopped drop. I don't want to even think about the other bad things

Mike hoping you get two wheels to ride this summer. Maybe you would be interested in buying mine after I put 7000 clicks on it.

Jer you gonna ride down to the Gathering of the Clans in 2 weeks???? or is mine gonna be the only one there????

if you do just remember it could be expensive......

and do yourself a favor and leave it in T mode...

R

Jer you gonna ride down to the Gathering of the Clans in 2 weeks???? or is mine gonna be the only one there????
if you do just remember it could be expensive......

and do yourself a favor and leave it in T mode...

R
Richard, I am not sure I will be able to make it. I am ordering parts to install radios etc. and will be going to Colorado again in July and southern Utah in September. What is expensive and why Touring Mode? I might ride down for one night.
Jer

Hello All,

It has been awhile since I have posted here... I wanted to reply to FJR Pilot.... I bought a 2009 Concours 14 from Power Motorsports in Sublimity about two years ago... It was an incredible machine power-wise, but a bear to handle in the twisties... so, I went to a 2012 Suzuki VStrom 650 a little over a year ago... I love the little V, but have a hankerin' for more power, and smoothness... for the long haul....

I rode a 2007 FJR before I got my Connie, and it seemed a little "clunky" - mostly the shifting... it was plenty (plenty!) fast, but a bit to handle...

So, I am thinking about the '13 FJR - a wonderful machine, by all accounts - but I wonder if it is worth the extra $$ compared to a '12 - and how it compares handling-wise. I know Sublimity has great prices - I dealt with Lon there - the best buying experience of any motor vehicle I have purchased - I don't know if Lon is still there - I know he was battling cancer.... I just wish they were a little closer - I am in Milwaukie, OR.

Responses appreciated...

John

Firstly Jer I only mean it will be expensive after you see all the shit i have on mine.......

and secondly the 13 blows away the 12 in every way IMHO.......

R

hey old guy, the canyon cage group buy ends may 9. better get in on it.......

congrats on the new FJR Jer!!

So, I am thinking about the '13 FJR - a wonderful machine, by all accounts - but I wonder if it is worth the extra $$ compared to a '12 - and how it compares handling-wise.
If it was me I'd try to find a new leftover 11 or 12.

The 13 has the same motor and suspension so other than different guage set up, slightly different fairing and windscreen it's pretty much the same bike as far as handeling/performance.

Congrats on the new ride. My wife says I can't remember SHT, but I can remember the first day I bought any of my bikes. Better than any B-day or X-mas.I will think about a new one if it comes in Galaxy Blue again. And why can't any motorcycle company make a good stock shield . I have never rode a bike that comes close to my Cee Bailey. Had a Rifle on my Connie and loved that to. One day I was screwing around and put the stocker back on for kicks. After a few miles I made a youeeeee back home. Put the Cee Bailer back on. It reminded me that was best investment I made for my ride.