Joined the 2013 club

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I am thinking about the '13 FJR - a wonderful machine, by all accounts - but I wonder if it is worth the extra $$ compared to a '12 - and how it compares handling-wise.
If it was me I'd try to find a new leftover 11 or 12.

The 13 has the same motor and suspension so other than different guage set up, slightly different fairing and windscreen it's pretty much the same bike as far as handeling/performance.
How wrong you are........

R

First.. Congrats Jer.. You are now officially old as the majority 13 of buyers are decrepit old fukers..

And limey? The motor is the same so don't be a dik..

:****:

First.. Congrats Jer.. You are now officially old as the majority 13 of buyers are decrepit old fukers..
And limey? The motor is the same so don't be a dik..

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/****.gif
Bust, if you checked out my birthdate you would realize that I was already an old fart, and I agree with Richard that in the sport mode if seems a lot quicker than my '07. Hope all is going well with you Mr Bust.

Hello All,
It has been awhile since I have posted here... I wanted to reply to FJR Pilot.... I bought a 2009 Concours 14 from Power Motorsports in Sublimity about two years ago... It was an incredible machine power-wise, but a bear to handle in the twisties... so, I went to a 2012 Suzuki VStrom 650 a little over a year ago... I love the little V, but have a hankerin' for more power, and smoothness... for the long haul....

I rode a 2007 FJR before I got my Connie, and it seemed a little "clunky" - mostly the shifting... it was plenty (plenty!) fast, but a bit to handle...

So, I am thinking about the '13 FJR - a wonderful machine, by all accounts - but I wonder if it is worth the extra $$ compared to a '12 - and how it compares handling-wise. I know Sublimity has great prices - I dealt with Lon there - the best buying experience of any motor vehicle I have purchased - I don't know if Lon is still there - I know he was battling cancer.... I just wish they were a little closer - I am in Milwaukie, OR.

Responses appreciated...

John
I feel that I was treated right by Power. I didn't try to get them down from their quoted price, but thought it was fair. I thought my '07 shifted fine, but the '13 is very smooth. I like the electronic cruise, the new dash and the new fairing. I'll be honest after reading about the '13 I wanted one and am a very happy owner.

Why don't you call them and have them give you a quote over the phone.

Jer

You old guys are so simply mislead with bells an whistles..Kinda like the crows in me backyard and shiny stuff..

Good on ya Jer.

:****:

Yes Barry the motor is the same but now we have 2 modes for that same motor......all new springs in the suspension so NOT the same. need i say more?

R

So, I am thinking about the '13 FJR - a wonderful machine, by all accounts - but I wonder if it is worth the extra $$ compared to a '12 - and how it compares handling-wise.
If it was me I'd try to find a new leftover 11 or 12.

The 13 has the same motor and suspension so other than different guage set up, slightly different fairing and windscreen it's pretty much the same bike as far as handeling/performance.
How wrong you are........

R
Example?

Just going by the reviews I've read and what I've seen on your bike, how is the handeling/performance different, that's what he asked about?

Don't get me wrong Richard, great looking bike, just IMOP not that different from a new 11 or 12.

Ok Richard saw your post if this site didn't take FOREVER to post a reply I would have saw it sooner.

Motor Question........Isn't the motor the same HP by at least a few ponies? So that Sport or Touring mode justs adjusts the flow of power?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Barry the motor is the same but now we have 2 modes for that same motor......all new springs in the suspension so NOT the same. need i say more?
R

Yep knew that hoss. Only one fork leg has rebound and preload adjusments If I read it right, and the rear has been improved. How does the front end feel with that setup?

R

Yep knew that hoss. Only one fork leg has rebound and preload adjusments If I read it right, and the rear has been improved. How does the front end feel with that setup?
Preload is on both forks. Rebound is only on the right. That's not an unusual setup. I wish the rear had more preload adjustment, but they seem to have it right for me.

I can't compare it to prior years because I haven't ridden one, but my '13 feels very good. I've diddled with the preload and rebound and got it pretty secure. I've chased some of my ZRX buddies down some fairly rough, crooked roads at downright unrespectable speeds. I know it could handle better if I'd throw some cash at it, but I'm very happy.

And as I understand it, the mode setting doesn't really do anything except quicken the throttle. In Tour mode I have to turn it a lot more to get the same effect I get in Sport mode with less turn. I really like Sport mode because I don't have to move my poor old arthritic hand as much to achieve fun acceleration.

Last edited by a moderator: