Juice box fuel controller results

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinJax

Reaction score
Hello all, I have received so much from this forum that I wanted to share my impression of the Juice Box Pro for my 06 fjr. I installed it in about 20 minutes. It was my first time taking the gas tank off. Installation was a straight plugin. I used this forum to find the O2 sensor. Drove the bike today and it is enormously improved . It now has a smooth take off and is even MORE fun to drive than before. I can heartily recommend a fuel controller for this year fjr.It is transforming. What a relief to not have the jerky ride particularly around curves. By the way I used the factory settings. My bike is otherwise stock. I hope this helps someone. Kevin Jax

Interesting.

It's a shame that you had to do this to give your Gen2 the power and smoothness of a Gen1.
smile.png

Enjoy!

Al.

I just had mine taken off my 07. I was told that since I put the original cans back on, I didn't need it. Perhaps I should have just made sure it was at factory settings instead? What issue were you having with the throttle? I haven't had the 07 very long, but I do notice a big difference in what it takes to turn the throttle compared to the 05 and my friend's 12. It is much stiffer and wears on the wrist after a short while. A little jerky because of this. Is this the same experience you've had with the 06?

I was going to sell mine, but now I'm wondering if I should put it back on. Grrrrr!

I just had mine taken off my 07. I was told that since I put the original cans back on, I didn't need it. Perhaps I should have just made sure it was at factory settings instead? What issue were you having with the throttle? I haven't had the 07 very long, but I do notice a big difference in what it takes to turn the throttle compared to the 05 and my friend's 12. It is much stiffer and wears on the wrist after a short while. A little jerky because of this. Is this the same experience you've had with the 06?
I was going to sell mine, but now I'm wondering if I should put it back on. Grrrrr!
You don't actually need a "juice box" if you change cans, but it is nice to have on 06 and 07 FJR's due to changes in the throttle body and throttle tube cams. The change in cam profiles leads to abrupt throttle application when twisting the throttle. Combined with unnecessarily stiff throttle return springs makes for difficulty in smoothly applying throttle off idle.
My daily ride involves steep downhill 15mph curves that pretty much require application of throttle in the curves and this leads to lurching while leaned over. Maybe not "I'm gonna die due to the lurch" but it's still annoying.

My solution for my 07 has involved replacing the throttle tube with a G3 version with revised cam profile and also releasing the throttle return spring one turn (although it might have gone 2 turns, but happens too fast to count). Huge improvement with those 2 mods. But I wanted better so went with a Power Commander with a smoothness map. It's really a pleasure riding the bike now.

As Harald said above...The problem I was having was trying to start out smoothly. Just a very slight turn on the throttle resulted in a surging acceleration. This is particularly problematic trying to make a smooth turn in our parking garage at the hospital. The juice box has taken all that away and really does make the bike more pleasureable to ride. I just used the setting that it came with and the improvement is huge. I highly recommend the Juice Box or Power Commander to help decrease the problem of sudden acceleration. K

Wish you were closer. Sure would be nice to compare it to mine with the PCIII and smoothness map on it.

Ok, preliminary mileage report. Cruising at 50 mph in 5th gear, I was getting between 48 and 52 miles per gallon on my instantaneous mileage meter. I have yet to be able to get on the interstate with this bike. I will report back when I do. Blessings KH

Ok, preliminary mileage report. Cruising at 50 mph in 5th gear, I was getting between 48 and 52 miles per gallon on my instantaneous mileage meter. I have yet to be able to get on the interstate with this bike. I will report back when I do. Blessings KH
The instantaneous mileage meter and the average mileage will not work with any degree of accuracy after the addition of an aftermarket Juice Box or Power Commander. It essentially sits between the ECU and the injectors and re-interprets the ECU signal. The computer thinks it is delivering a certain amount of fuel but (usually) more is being added by the device. The only way to accurately determine mileage is at fill-up.

Was just going to say that when I read the prior post.

Fuel readout on the dash is not measured, it's calculated. The ECU knows what fuel it's intending to send to the cylinders, and how fast the bike is going, so it displays the probably mileage from its intended fuel use.

Any fuel device like the Juice Box or the Power Commander does its work downstream of the ECU's control, and the ECU is completely unaware of the effect, so its fuel mileage calculation on the instrument panel is even more of a fantasy than it was before.

The only way you're gonna know what your mileage is is to calculate usage at fillup. You went 235 miles and put in 5.25 gallons, so that tank got 44.76 mpg.

If you weren't measuring fuel mileage like that prior to the Juice box install, then you have no baseline with which to make a comparison. You don't know if it's higher or lower or by how much if you didn't measure actual per tank mileage before installing the device.