Jumper Mod '06 help, please...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagger

Reaction score
I know some will think I'm just such an idiot ... and if so, I apologize. I'm just not that familiar with some mechanical things. Sorry.... :dribble:

I am going to do the "jumper mod" and the CO changes myself (gulp..). If that goes OK, and I"m not too damned stressed .... I'll try the mid throttle spring release as well.

But, before I undertake (like in burial, eh...) this deal, I need more information regarding what cladding I need to remove. BMWHD (aka: Todd...) told me to remove the left side silver mid deal to do this mod, but I just checked and I don't see what this means.

Tol' ya I'm stupid regarding wrenchin' stuff.

I would like someone to direct me to the link ... if there is one (couldn't find an '06 link)... that tells me step by step what to do. Yes, I saw the '03 deal, but that don't pertain to my '06, eh? :blink:

Do I remove the saddle? Do I have to remove the tank? Drain the tank? If so, I'm not gonna do this. I don't wanna screw with the few tank removal and such ... at least I don't think so.

But, folks say they do this "mod" in 15 minutes?? Wow ... I've spent more time lookin' at the bike to do this mod than that!

Perhaps someone can direct me in the proper direction. Thanx.

BAGGER

Bagger,

I did the mod myself the other day...and followed the directions from the '03 example. You have to remove both seats, the section of plastic that wraps around the bottom of the gas tank (no idea what it is called), and the side cowling, which is pictured in the original instructions. You basically follow the directions to the "T" and when you actually get to the jumpers, you switch out #23 and #25.

Couple of important notes(read the instructions carefully...I breezed them and missed a few things :dribble: ):

1) Make sure you depress the white bar that locks all the jumpers in...otherwise the jumper will not come out!!

2) DO NOT pull out the jumper by the wire. You have to push the jumper out by the bottom end. It should come out easily if the white bar is depressed.

Here is a recent link:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=8913&hl=jumper

Link to the original '03:

https://www.fjr1300.info/howto/jumper.html

Good luck...hope I helped...

Regards,

Davy

I don't think there is a link to an 06. To get the side cover off you do not have to remove the tank but you do have to remove the seat. Once the seat is off you will see 2 plastic fasteners, unscrew them part way and pull them out. Remove the other two allen screws that hold the side cover on. Remove the allen head screw that holds the tail section on. You will see it under the seat. The side cover will be much easier to remove with this screw removed. Then follow the instructions carefully. It really is a pretty easy mod. If I were closer I would be happy to do it for you but Wisconsin is a tad far away. Good Luck.

Thanx, guys. I'll report back. Hope my experience is somewhat EZr and faster than V65s.

At least I don't have a kid in the 6th grade to graduate. Of course it's gonna rain in New England again for the umpteeth f#*king day, so I may not get to ride the bugger after the mods are complete. Then of course there's work to consider as well.

Thanx again. Now, where are my Taiwanese tools I got from Job Lot?

BAGGER

Bagger,

I don't believe you need to remove the silver plastic panel that wraps around the tank just to do the Barbarian mod, however, it you want to lift or remove the tank from the bike, you will indeed need to remove it.

To do the Barbaian mod, you only need to remove the left side panel silver cover. You will have to pull several plastic push pins and a couple allen head bolts. It is held one with a couple rubber groments as well so you will have to gently pry it off.

There is another black plastic panel under the silver one that you will also have to remove to access the ECU.

If'n ya wanna ride down here to Texaz I would be happy to help ya. Sorry, I don't do house calls.

I'm prepping to do the mod on my 06 this weekend as well. Anyone have an opinion on the +7 CO2 adjust for someone who lives at high elevation 4444'; most of my driving is done at or above this elevation. With fuel injection I did think it would matter much, but I don't want to foul my plugs either. :)

I'm prepping to do the mod on my 06 this weekend as well. Anyone have an opinion on the +7 CO2 adjust for someone who lives at high elevation 4444'; most of my driving is done at or above this elevation. With fuel injection I did think it would matter much, but I don't want to foul my plugs either. :)
mcyleman...After you do the mod you can try different settings until you are happy with them.

Ed.... :D

Hey altitude bro ... I'm about 1k higher than you, but should be similar re: the tune. I tried +5 and rode it for a week. Now just finished a week at +7. I'm going back to the +5. Noticable improvement in throttle response, idle quality, smoothness, and maybe a bit of low end power. Very happy. At +7 I felt things were a bit worse and the motor felt a bit "soggy". Things richen up a bit at our altitude, so I suspect we are already a little better off than our sea level friends, so it prob takes a bit less of a bump in the CO to make a difference.

My stock settings were what most others were reporting -10, 8, 8, 11

jimbemotumbo, Thanks :D

I'll start with +5 and go from there.

After I've got her set for the local area; I'll have to take her up to Cloudcroft +9000' then Sierra Blanca which is 11500' and see what effect it will have.

Good thing it's easy to adjust after the mod. B)

Hello Bagger: Realy this is simple, just keep track of those little black twist locks! Print out the pages for the mods to the connector and how to do the settings. Make sure you write down the origional settings in case you want to change back and just dig in! I used a bent paper clip to push out the little white arrow thingy and the yellow and red striped wire. it took no time and the instructions are spot on! :drinks:

Hello Bagger: Realy this is simple, just keep track of those little black twist locks! Print out the pages for the mods to the connector and how to do the settings. Make sure you write down the origional settings in case you want to change back and just dig in! I used a bent paper clip to push out the little white arrow thingy and the yellow and red striped wire. it took no time and the instructions are spot on! :drinks:
Well, I figured this would be more difficult for me than y'all expected. And, it is.

Getting the covers off was not a big deal, altho I didn't see the one UNDER the back side of the silver cover. It popped off, tho. No damage.

Now, looking at the ECU'swire module I don't see the same/same colored wires, etc. that have been reported on the 2006 FJR.

Here's what I see looking at the module from left to right in the lower row:

-white plug (22)

-blue/white wire

-white plug

-yellow/2 strip green wire

-white/yellow wire (18)

-white plug

The (22) and (18) refer to the numbers on the black plastic of the module. I figured they corresponded to the wire numbers, but that don't make sense.

What am I missing here?

Thanx. BAGGER

Last edited by a moderator:
OK... got gas in one of the vehicles, went to the post office and came back to the ECU. I turned it OVER and there were the correct sequenced wires/plugs. Altho, the wire is yellow with 2 greenish/brown slashes. But, then again.... I'm a bit color deficient (as well as mechanically challenged).

Now the problem is ... I can't re-engage the white wire holder to secure the wires. I've tried to take a tweezers and make sure the wires/plugs are engaged and they seem to be. Do I just push it back in?

$#^&!@!!

Thanx again.

Sweaty BAGGER

OK.... got that back together. Now, did the settings.

I'll report back.

BAGGER

Took the bike out for a couple hours ride on back roads and thru a couple small towns to check the 'herky-jerky fix'.

Bike seems better... not totally gone is the gear lash, but it is much better than when the bike was delivered.

The best part of the modding I've done so far to make the bike smoother was to take the slack out of the throttle cable. I may even attempt to do more of that.

If I was to do the BM/CO deal again, it would be pretty simple. Gets simpler once completed.

Thanx for the help, guys. If I get some ballz next week, maybe I'll attempt the throttle spring release. :dribble:

BAGGER

Bagger...the throttle spring release will help allot to.

Ed.. :crazy: