Just bought a 2007 FJR in Black Cherry. First thing I had to do was tear it apart.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put 295,000 km on my '07 with very few issues (nothing serious). That paint is gorgeous in the sunlight.

I would use H4 LEDs rather than the HID bulbs. The mirror visors aren't pretty - I assume they came with the bike?

Is the gasket for the windshield arms still intact? (Mine came off and I had to clean it up and reinstall with 3M double sided trim tape.
Do a good job cleaning up the windshield mechanism. You won't be back in there very often.

Enjoy the bike!

Oh, Welcome to the forum.

The windshield arms gasket was still in there but I did have to reinstall it with double sided tape. I got all the wiring sorted out and cleaned up.

Then the clutch master cylinder decided to stop working. Current status is fully assembled again, but waiting for the clutch master cylinder rebuild kit. Should be here in a few days and then it should be ready to ride (finally.)

I would use H4 LEDs rather than the HID bulbs. The mirror visors aren't pretty - I assume they came with the bike?
I did remove the mirror "hand guards" - I also thought they were unattractive. They did come with the bike, and I might put them back on for cooler weather in the fall. Unfortunately the back side of the LH mirror is all scraped up, so I'll have to address that at some point.

I tore out all the HID stuff and installed UltraStar halogens. I might investigate LEDs when they burn out.

I did remove the mirror "hand guards" - I also thought they were unattractive. They did come with the bike, and I might put them back on for cooler weather in the fall. Unfortunately the back side of the LH mirror is all scraped up, so I'll have to address that at some point.

I tore out all the HID stuff and installed UltraStar halogens. I might investigate LEDs when they burn out.
I have gotten as many as 90,000 miles out of a set of regular H4 (OEM) halogens, although they aren't as bright (and get worse with age). You will be lucky to get more than 20,000 out of the UltraStars.