Just how waterproof is a Zumo?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregory

Great things are afoot
Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody has had problems with a Zumo in the rain? I am getting ready to go to CA and I will probably ride in the rain on the way. Just wondering if it gets heavy, should I put it in the Givi?

Thanks,

Greg

Garmin say: The Zumo is vibration-tested, waterproof and built with fuel-resistant plastics to withstand the elements.

My Garmin says that it meets standard IPX7. This is a European test specification that sets standards for classifying the degrees of protection provided by the enclosures of electrical equipment. An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes.

I'm guessing that if you exceed this you are doing something very wrong ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering if anybody has had problems with a Zumo in the rain? I am getting ready to go to CA and I will probably ride in the rain on the way. Just wondering if it gets heavy, should I put it in the Givi?
Thanks,

Greg

No. I don't keep it in the mount all the time, and put a heavy duty baggie over the mount, a "just in case" but I am paranoid.

My Garmin GPSMap 376c meets the same waterproof spec (IPX7) as the Zumo, and it's never been anywhere near a baggie or cover. It's seen rain (constant), snow and hail and never had a problem other than the XM radio antenna connection occasionally going away when it got soaked. But the connection was fine when it dried out. The actual GPS function has NEVER had an issue. Use your Zumo in all elements with confidence.

Thanks everybody

I just wanted to make sure (can't afford to buy another one).

Greg

I spent two days in heavy rain on the Cassiar Hwy, and my otherwise unprotected Zumo didn't miss a beat. IMO, it's good to go in all weather conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
just how waterproof is a Zumo? just how waterproof is a frogs ass hole? :unsure: been in the rain dozens of times, the Zumo is no problem! Wetter is better , or summfin like dat!

the Zumo? Very waterproof.

The motorcycle mount? Not so much, cover that puppy with a ziplock bag if you're leaving your bike out in the rain over-night.

I forgot on my last trip and didn't have XM or audio for a day and a half while it dried out. If the Zumo is in the mount that seems to keep the water out (notice the gasket at on the bottom).

YYMV

The motorcycle mount? Not so much, cover that puppy with a ziplock bag if you're leaving your bike out in the rain over-night.

I forgot on my last trip and didn't have XM or audio for a day and a half while it dried out. If the Zumo is in the mount that seems to keep the water out (notice the gasket at on the bottom).

YYMV
No problems here. You could probobly skip it across a pond and not have any issues with it.

I've heard of someone mucking up the mount when they washed the bike with it on. As Matt noted, you probably want to take that off the bike when the zumo isn't in it.

As far as riding -- my experience has been like everyone else's. I've been through frog drowning storms with it and haven't had a blip.

YYMV
My XM died even with zumo in the mount - and only after 1 hour of rain. :glare:

I wash my Zumo off in the sink after dirt rides to avoid scratching it, no problem. Wash all the bikes with cradle only (silly rubber covers off), no problem.

Mine died last year after riding 5 hours in pouring rain to EOM. I have read of others as well. My replacement has seen light rain but not a down pour.

My Zumo has had zero problems total, and I went through a torrent going to NAFO last year.

Again no problems.

I usually take it off when I wash the bike or put a shower cap over it, that hotels provide if left on. Seems pointless to get it purposely wet. IMO?

Latest posts