Just Ponied Up for A Russell Day Long

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigChunk

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Just filled out the on-line order form off of the Russell website. Damn those seats are expensive!

This'll be the second Russell I've bought. The first one went on the '98 Goldwing way back when. Added tremedously to my riding comfort - especially on the full-day rides.

Eventually sold the Goldwing since the wife wasn't too interested in 2-up riding after a while. Bought a 2005 FJR brand spankin' new and didn't really need to do much to it. Ride comfort was great right out of the gate. Added some risers and a bigger screen and I was good to go. Just about cried when I lost my job three years later and had to sell it.

Times got better so I snagged a 2008 last April. Barely put a 1000 miles on it last season, though. I couldn't stay on it an hour before my hind-end started aching and my hands went numb. Helibar risers and BMW grips helped the hands but, man, the seat was just killing me. I've got my fingers crossed that the Russell seat's going to literally save my butt.

BigChunk

Just filled out the on-line order form off of the Russell website. Damn those seats are expensive!

This'll be the second Russell I've bought. The first one went on the '98 Goldwing way back when. Added tremedously to my riding comfort - especially on the full-day rides.

Eventually sold the Goldwing since the wife wasn't too interested in 2-up riding after a while. Bought a 2005 FJR brand spankin' new and didn't really need to do much to it. Ride comfort was great right out of the gate. Added some risers and a bigger screen and I was good to go. Just about cried when I lost my job three years later and had to sell it.

Times got better so I snagged a 2008 last April. Barely put a 1000 miles on it last season, though. I couldn't stay on it an hour before my hind-end started aching and my hands went numb. Helibar risers and BMW grips helped the hands but, man, the seat was just killing me. I've got my fingers crossed that the Russell seat's going to literally save my butt.

BigChunk
Oh, it'll cure what ails ya!

I ditched the stock seat for a Sargent (used) and what an amazing difference fo rme compared to stock. I tried beads (good), a quality air-cushion option (better - much better) and the sargent (best). My money is on the Russell being even better for you.

BTW - keep an eye open for the local PNW get togethers help twice a year. ;)

Funny you wrote this in... at about the time you were posting this message, I was just installing my new RDL onto my bike for the first time. It's winter here, riding season for me waits until the road salt is gone, but in the few minutes I sat upon the Russell Day Long out in the garage, I could tell that this upcoming season was going to be a very comfortable one.

I'd bought a Sargent (front only) within days of buying my FJR last May. That was my second Sarg, the first one spent 4 years and 27000 miles on my VStrom 650 and provided vast improvement over the stock VStrom seat. I didn't get that same level of comfort improvement on the FJR, so the investment in the Russell was decided. Now the Sarg is going to be my daily runner, and the RDL will be my weekend/tourist mount. I can't wait for the spring rains to clean my roads.

Hi Sportsguy,

Yeah, I'm looking forward to doing some riding with the PNW group. Looks like there's a volcano ride on June 30. Gonna try to make that one.

BigChunk

Steve T - can you remind me how the process works?

I'm pretty sure I have to send in my stock seat, but when exactly am I supposed to do that? Does Russell contact you when it's time to send it in?

Thanks,

BigChunk

Dont forget the NAFO up in Castlegar B.C. this June as well. You have a lot of good people around you if you want some help with your ride. Welcome to the asylum!!

It's been a couple months now, but I took the photos they wanted of me sitting on the bike- set up my camera on a tripod, with the tripod height set at the height of my hip as I sat on the seat. Sent the application and photos to their website, then they contacted me telling me the build date and when to have the seat to them. I carefully boxed it up and sent it off via UPS (FedEx, or whomever), sending it with some extra advance time to make sure there were no shipping issues. After the re-build was done, they called me and said they'd trade me my rebuilt seat for a credit card number. Bam-bam, just like that. Now I'm looking forward to springtime! I'll have to make a new photo with the seat once I'm back on the road.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigChunk
The Russell will "save your butt". They make the best seat possible. I'm about to order my second FJR seat for the new-to-me '08, and have put almost 400K on Russells between the K75 and the '05 FJR.

Certainly not cheap, but the good stuff never is. It's money well-spent.

Ryan

BigChunk
I did the Helibars/RDL upgrade last summer and boy what a great improvement in comfort. That along with a cruise control and I'm ready for 1000's of miles!!

Russperry -

Right in the middle of my work bench sits a newly delivered box with an MCCruise cruise control in it just waiting for me to get up the courage to try putting it on the bike.

My farkle projects are starting to stack up. Next to the MCCruise box is a new set of horns and a G2 Throttle Tamer. Guess I better get busy!

BigChunk

Russperry -

Right in the middle of my work bench sits a newly delivered box with an MCCruise cruise control in it just waiting for me to get up the courage to try putting it on the bike.

My farkle projects are starting to stack up. Next to the MCCruise box is a new set of horns and a G2 Throttle Tamer. Guess I better get busy!

BigChunk
I opted for the AVCC since I was too cheap to pony up for the MCCruise. My pal Brodie came over and helped me (that means he did 90%) get it done. Without his help the bike would probably still be open with me wondering what I had got myself into even with the tons of advice available on the forum....

I'm sure that once its finished you'll be really glad you did it

What a timely topic. As I read this I am patiently waiting for UPS to arrive with MY seat from Russell. I checked UPS tracking this morning and it's on the truck out for delivery today. Kim at Russell gave me a 2-13-12 production date and said usually takes two weeks to complete. She was right on. I got a call two weeks after the production date for visa card info and now waiting for some decent weather to try it out. Sunday's forecast is looking pretty good: dry and 55*. I have to say Kim at Russell has given me great costomer service. And I'd like to say thanks to my fellow forum members because it was your reports that convinced me to purchase the Russell. Like Sportsguy, I used a bead rider and then a Freedom air. For me, after a 500 mile day, they were defintely better than the stock seat but my ass would still be sore.

My Russell was good...but not great until after break in...so be aware that things work better after the first 1000 miles out of the way.