...just signed for a new 08 FJR-A. Did I pay too much?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I too live in GA, I can give you the low down on the sales tax here. When you purchase the bike you should not of been charged any Sales Tax from that dealer. When you go to your County Tag office they will charge you the county sales tax then (usually 7% of total price). If you don't pay this you don't get a plate. Now if you would of purchased this bike used from a private party you would not had to pay any sales tax at all.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now if you would of purchased this bike used from a private party you would not had to pay any sales tax at all.
Know anyone from New Hampshire through whom you can pass the transaction? No sales tax there.

Have them buy for you and plate the bike in NH, then sell it to you . . . if what he says is right, that's a quick $770 in savings.

Now if you would of purchased this bike used from a private party you would not had to pay any sales tax at all.
Know anyone from New Hampshire through whom you can pass the transaction? No sales tax there.

Have them buy for you and plate the bike in NH, then sell it to you . . . if what he says is right, that's a quick $770 in savings.
They do the same here but I believe it's SC. All you need to do is find someone to buy it for you new and then sell it to you used. Of course, I would never try anything like this. :rolleyes:

And for all of you that thinks this is bad because we are "going around the system" we still get nailed every year by paying an Ad-volurm (sp?) tax on our vehicles which for just my FJR alone is about $200.

Price looks good to me. I just paid 13,599 out the door for a 2009 FJR. I bought it from OTD Cyclesports in Burlingame, CA. The bike is worth every penny. Especially because I sold a 2006 Harley Ultra Classic to get it.

I'd call it rape. I just paid $11,700 for 2009 AE and have a $200 check coming from Yamaha.

I paid more for my 08. I could have got one quite a bit cheaper down the road, but wanted to give my dealership the buisness. Don't regret it. I did buy my YES contract from D&H, and buy other things for the bike elswhere that are a lower price. Loyalty only goes so far I suppose. ^_^

GP