Just test road a FJR today...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoobyvroom

Reaction score
Well on the way home tonight it was such a nice day. I knew Moon Motorsports in Monticello Minnesota had a 05 FJR for sale. So I figured I would stop by and check it out on the way home. Well I stoped in and stated talking to the sales guy Kyle, very nice guy... Anyway, so he says that they just sold it yesterday and had taken the FJR down from the site this morning.. Son of a .... So I said I had hoped to check an FJR out in person.. "Well I have on eright over there".. So I oogled over it a bit, he showed me all the bits. I had hoped to see a 1G, to compare to a 2G, but oh well. All the sudden he says " Yeah it's got alot of power, you sould take it for a spin". I was like seriously?? So any way signed my life away and out the door I went. The first few feet where tense, but after I relaxed it became alot of fun. It dosen't matter what gear your in you just open the throttle and that thing goes. After finding some local cuves, doing some stomach launching over some rolling hills and getting lost. I returned the bike with a huge smile on my face. I asked him if I could come back later with the wife and she how she liked riding 2up? It's gotta be better than the SV right??

So get the wife come back, Kyle was nice enought to leave the bike outside. Showed up, had my wife sign, and away we went, I showed her all the neat things on the bike. While we were out for the ride I slowed to a stop on a straight road to talk to her. She said her head was getting bounced around by the buffeting. Not sure if my head was causing it or what. I think the touring windshield would fix that, I noticed it a bit as well I am 6'. Just as I was about to leave the side of the road, I saw a headlight. I immediatly turned on the hazards so he/she knew to go around. There wasn't exactly a shoulder to pull on to. This was out in the country. So this guy on a BMW pulls up along side and gives the o.k. signal, I o.k.ed back he nodded and took off. I followed him and returned to the dealer. The wife was very pleased with the FJR, her legs wheren't cramped up and her butt wasn't numb, and she felt very comfortable on it as well.

On the way home she asked why that guy stoped, I said to see if we needed help "oh really?" she replied, "Yeah, most motorcycleist seem to be a diffrent breed, they seem to take care of thier own, and on average seem to be very nice and outgoing".

All and all it was a great day, the only thing wrong is the FJR didn't follow me home. I am gonna work on the price of the FJR, I might be bringing an 08 home sometime soon, we will see..

Just thought I would share...

Scooby

I happened to see they have a 2008 in Lakeville at Motoprimo for $11799. Thought that was a pretty good price. If you wanted a 2007, you may want to check Cannon Falls, I got mine there this spring and they had another one left at that time.

Danno

Thanks for the heads up if nothing else I can use it as leverage. I don't like being a prick but, it's his job to make money, it's my job save it.

Nothing wrong with saving $$$, but I wouldn't let the difference of a few bux stand in my way of enjoying myself. It's tough trying to go ride a bank account. :)

My local dealer had an 08 on the floor, walked in and stood around for a while, sat on it, looked it over, drooled on it and not

a sales person in sight. Went home and called about it, guy said it was sold, made no effort to sell me one, pretty strange.

Well on the way home tonight it was such a nice day. I knew Moon Motorsports in Monticello Minnesota had a 05 FJR for sale. So I figured I would stop by and check it out on the way home. Well I stoped in and stated talking to the sales guy Kyle, very nice guy... Anyway, so he says that they just sold it yesterday and had taken the FJR down from the site this morning.. Son of a .... So I said I had hoped to check an FJR out in person.. "Well I have on eright over there".. So I oogled over it a bit, he showed me all the bits. I had hoped to see a 1G, to compare to a 2G, but oh well. All the sudden he says " Yeah it's got alot of power, you sould take it for a spin". I was like seriously?? So any way signed my life away and out the door I went. The first few feet where tense, but after I relaxed it became alot of fun. It dosen't matter what gear your in you just open the throttle and that thing goes. After finding some local cuves, doing some stomach launching over some rolling hills and getting lost. I returned the bike with a huge smile on my face. I asked him if I could come back later with the wife and she how she liked riding 2up? It's gotta be better than the SV right??
So get the wife come back, Kyle was nice enought to leave the bike outside. Showed up, had my wife sign, and away we went, I showed her all the neat things on the bike. While we were out for the ride I slowed to a stop on a straight road to talk to her. She said her head was getting bounced around by the buffeting. Not sure if my head was causing it or what. I think the touring windshield would fix that, I noticed it a bit as well I am 6'. Just as I was about to leave the side of the road, I saw a headlight. I immediatly turned on the hazards so he/she knew to go around. There wasn't exactly a shoulder to pull on to. This was out in the country. So this guy on a BMW pulls up along side and gives the o.k. signal, I o.k.ed back he nodded and took off. I followed him and returned to the dealer. The wife was very pleased with the FJR, her legs wheren't cramped up and her butt wasn't numb, and she felt very comfortable on it as well.

On the way home she asked why that guy stoped, I said to see if we needed help "oh really?" she replied, "Yeah, most motorcycleist seem to be a diffrent breed, they seem to take care of thier own, and on average seem to be very nice and outgoing".

All and all it was a great day, the only thing wrong is the FJR didn't follow me home. I am gonna work on the price of the FJR, I might be bringing an 08 home sometime soon, we will see..

Scooby

Moon is a pretty good dealership. I bought my 06 Roadliner from them in September 06. Nice folks. However, I found out that D&H is a notch (or two) better though a month ago when I picked up my new FJR.

Scooby
Scooby,

Nice story. I'm shopping for an '08 as well. good luck with your search.

Danno,

Lakeville, huh? My daughter and SIL live in St. Paul, Lakeville is only about 440 miles from me. Do you know if their price is otd or will there be other add ons?

Thanks.

Lee

Scooby,Nice story. I'm shopping for an '08 as well. good luck with your search.

Danno,

Lakeville, huh? My daughter and SIL live in St. Paul, Lakeville is only about 440 miles from me. Do you know if their price is otd or will there be other add ons?

Thanks.

Lee
That is not their OTD price, The usual, and I don't know if they charge for assembly. I know Moon dosen't. Alabama is a bit far for me.

LOL Great story! Good luck getting the FJR to "follow you home". You certainly won't regret it!

Scooby
Scooby,

Nice story. I'm shopping for an '08 as well. good luck with your search.

Danno,

Thanks.

Lee

I'm sure they will add on any possible fee and tax they can think of to that price. But hey, give em a call and ask. I have found that when buying a bike, car, almost anything, that if you make a reasonable good faith offer after getting an idea of value and price, both the dealer and the customer can be satisfied.

Danno

I'm sure they will add on any possible fee and tax they can think of to that price. But hey, give em a call and ask. I have found that when buying a bike, car, almost anything, that if you make a reasonable good faith offer after getting an idea of value and price, both the dealer and the customer can be satisfied.

Danno

This is from a previous post:

"I recently purchased an 08A for $11,478.00, but before I did I looked at two 07 AE's that were discounted $6,000 to approximately $10,600.

When I was considering purchasing an 07AE I got opinions from this forum on A's vs AE's and the consensus was they're both great bikes it really comes down to personal preference. Although I'm not apposed to an automatic clutch I decided that since I had a check in hand I would call a couple Yamaha dealers and make an offer over the phone.

The $11,478 number was the OTD price for the 07AE so that's what I offered for a new 08A to two dealers. When I made the offer both salesmen said they would have to check with their sales manager and would call me back. I didn't expect that they would do it or at least they would counter with a different price. They both accepted the offer about a half hour later.

There are potentially a couple of morals to this story; dealers are willing to negotiate, you have nothing to lose by simply calling them up and asking if they will sell you an in-stock FJR for what you want to pay, and since in this transaction there really wasn't any negotiating I may have actually paid more than I needed too, I have no way of knowing. Although when I asked them to deliver the bike they wouldn't waive the delivery charge and got a bit snotty.

I pretty much did the entire transaction via phone, drove in signed some paperwork gave them a check and they delivered the bike. The finance manager was a bit of a jerk, everyone else at the dealership was great."

I don't believe that a good deal is based on the lowest price. After owning this bike for a little over a month I think it wou8ld have been a great deal if I'd paid the almost $14K MSRP. But if you have the money and you make a reasonable offer I think (like most things these days) dealers are prepared to negotiate.

Good luck.