K & N Air Filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnCaged

Reaction score
For those of you that use the K & N Air Filter I'm gonna join ya'll.

Can you give me any information on the best place to get one, as well as a good price!

Thanks for your feed back

Uncaged

I just bought a K & N air filter from www.ajusa.com for - $67.95 (KNP YA1301), and K & N Oil Filter for (KN 148) for $12.75.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have seen this before. Explain then why the Uni I have in Frank leaves the airbox white glove spotless, which the paper didn't. I have heard of the K&N being worse in this regard, it uses a oiled gauze material vs the oiled foam in the Uni. But still, I have had good results over the years using the Uni style filter.

:agent: So looking at this test did I waste $ buying a K&N for my 2005 Ford truck . Should of bought a AC Delco. Looks like it is #1 but do they make a filter for the FJR ?

Would of been nice if they tested a stock FJR filter. Is buying aftermarket really better than stock ?

Thanks, Dan

This test confirms my feeling about K&N. My son got one for his XR400 and after one ride found dust in the carburetor throat. At the time we though maybe it was not sealing correctly, but I never felt comfortable with that diagnosis. Bottom line he went back to a dual stage UNI. I still use the OEM dual stage, but they are basically the same thing. The key to these filters on dirt bikes is using the correct oil. Do not use motor oil. Although it will work, proper filter oil will work much better. Real filter oil is sticky. If you put some between your thumb and finger and pull them apart, you will see thin spider webs of sticky oil connecting them. This sticky stuff really collects the dirt in dusty conditions. It also means you need to do very regular cleaning. I'm thinking regular changing of paper filters on the FJR should be good.