K@N Aircleaner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueman

blueman
Reaction score
Just purchased K@N Air Cleaner For my 05 FJR. Do I need to make any other changes Air fuel mixer ect before I pop this dude in. I have'nt on my other bikes. Just thought I would ask before I do. I know because of EPA requirments new bikes are probably set up lean. I really don't want it LEANER!!

When I first installed K&N pods on my Bandit I fouled the plugs real nice from over oiling the filters. Too much oil, no good. The aeresol spray oil is easier to apply in a nice even manner. YMMV

Went the same route with the K&N but haven't clocked enough miles to completely judge it yet. I did notice that the way the Yamaha plastic "baffle" inserts approximately halfway down the center of the air cleaner element that it makes the far end of the filter draw most of the air (and dirt). It almost seems like the air cleaner would be more efficient with a shorter inside plastic baffle. But I guess most air cleaners I've seen over the years always seem to have areas of concentrated dirt at one end or the other...

There is generally quite a bit of work done on induction systems to make sure that all cylinders flow evenly. This extends into the air box on short induction systems like the FJR and most bikes. That extension may (or may not...???) be there for a reason. Something to think about before considering cutting it off or something.

IIRC, some/many of them are designed as Helmholtz resonators to help meet FMVS sound limits.