K1600GTL Test Rides

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stealth1

Reaction score
When I took my FJR in for the 20k service, the dealer asked if I would like a test ride on their new K1000GTL (In addition to Yamaha and Suzuki they are also a BMW franchise.)

I had someone coming to pick me up so I declined. I went in this morning to pick my bike up and asked if the offer was still available. He gave me the keys and said that if I was going to be gone longer than 2 hours to give him a call.

When I sat on the bike the first surprise was how low the seat was. I'm 6-2 with 34 inseam and the first negative impression was how much less legroom this bike had compared to my FJR.

I keep my FJR seat in the upper position.

I learned later that this bike had the optional low seat but the seat is not adjustable for height.

The throttle was set for dynamic which is supposed to give best throttle response.

The throttle was extremely light and resulted in huge revs on my first attempt to get under way.

After becoming familiar with the controls I headed out for a mix of city, slab and back roads. The temp was already in the 90's so I had the air vents opened up to channel fresh air to the rider. With the windscreen all the way down there was noticeable buffeting but nothing extreme. Raising the shield up high enough to stop the buffeting forces you to look through the windscreen. Due to the high temps and my preference for looking over the screen , I left it down for most of the ride and put up with the buffeting.

The seat locks you in to one position with most of your weight on your tailbone. My elbows ended up a little too close to my rib cage for my taste.

I could not find fault with the available power. It was always ready, willing, and smooth.

Dropping into 3rd for a pass produced amazing results. I also tried motoring away from 20 in 6th and there was never a hiccup or stumble. I really had to search for any vibration.

The most noticeable was when accelerating from 75-80 in top gear but it was in no way bothersome.

This thing eats up fast sweepers and straights in style, but when you hit the tighter stuff the weight and size really become a detriment. I suppose if you owned one you might get confident enough to push it hard on some tight roads. In my 2 hr ride, I did not.

I played with the electronic suspension adjustments a little.

I left it in sport mode mostly. Normal would probably be the choice for around town. It definitely took the edge off bumps and irregularities.

The soft setting really made it feel like a wallowing pig. Probably only good for choppy interstates.

When I returned the keys and got on my FJR, I thought, "Who shrunk my bike!"

The FJR now felt tighter, sharper and more agile than ever. Riding the BMW was like those weights baseball players slip on their bats when warming up. The FJR felt like a sports bike now. The GTL is probably aimed at Gold Wing customers more than FJR customers. I am not familiar with the current Gold Wings but I imagine the GTL will compare pretty well.

I did own a Suzuki Cavalcade for 10 years and the GTL seemed a lot closer to it than it was to my FJR.

I heard that most BMW dealers have a GTL demonstrator that needs a certain number of miles on the clock before they are sold. If you are interested, go for it.

I played with the electronic suspension adjustments a little.

I left it in sport mode mostly. Normal would probably be the choice for around town. It definitely took the edge off bumps and irregularities.

The soft setting really made it feel like a wallowing pig. Probably only good for choppy interstates.
Good evaluation! :clapping:

I didn't didn't think the electronic suspension adjustments did that much, if it is the same system that is on the K1300's, the only thing that is being adjusted/changed is the rebound damping on the rear shock, no change to the front at all.

I thought all 3 settings felt great on smooth pavement, all 3 settings (and the springs) were way too soft on rough pavement.

I sat on a GTL @ a local BMW Rally this weekend. We ran the engine (missed a test drive) and LOVED the exhaust note! Super smoooth also. BUT- the pipes only had soot on the middle hole in each pipe? We think maybe the other holes are for looks, and not a 3 into 3 exhaust?

The low seat was WAY too low. I'm 5'8" and tucked my legs in too much to be comfortable. Get the high seat option and test the room for knees.

Lastly, The air vents pointing forward are VERY effective......but after 2-3 swivels they felt ready to break off? Maybe the plastic pins need to be reinforced w/ metal.

Sat on one of those also recently. Not my cup of tea - same complaints, weight on the butt, feet up, low seat height, handlebars up too high for any sport riding - you'd lose communication with the front wheel. It's just aimed at a different genre, the Gold Wing crowd. Looking forward to finding a GT model to check out, but they seem pretty rare so far.

I also think it's flat out ugly, kind of like a really dorky C14.

While on Vacation early May across the big pond I stopped at a motorrad dealer in Waterloo Belgium, the service mgr had a few mins and took me out back to sit on a GT. In the conversation which he was extremely helpfull (i did qualify that i was from Canada) and not able to get one on the flight home. He was very intent on the fact that the GTL is not a dressed GT and feels that based on the differences in handling and performance they are totally different motorcycles... He claimed that the GTL's there were speed limited, not GT's... The suspension differs as well other than the 3 rider settings?.I suppose the ECU is set up much differently as far as power delivery as well as braking effects?

Cheers

Don B

stealth1 - thanks a lot for your report. I am so happy with my FJR, but to be honest I am hungry for some update and new tech's.

As there is no "light in the tunnel" for GEN III FJR I was strongly thinking about Kawa Connie (GTR1400 in Europe)or BMW K1300GT. When K1600GT (GTL) arrived I was curious what it will offer. Had not a chance to drive it yet, just to seat on it on the exhibition, but I am afraid of weight. I am not "ready" for bike like Gold Wing yet. I like more "sporty" approach. And your report confirm that. So I thing I will stay with FJR for a while...

You know, updates would be great and all. What I have found that takes care of that...is to take a LONG FREAKING RIDE.

I have found on my rides that I enjoy the hell out of the bike and enjoy it even more. I don't name my bike like other pussies on this board, but I find that I bond with my FJR that takes me to that place off in the distance that place I've never been...

I saw a new GTL and a Goldwing pulled to the side of the highway just north of Playa Del Carmen, Mexico. The goldwing was up off the highway out of harms way, but the BMW was right on the side of the road, the rider looking under it and a large pool of oil or gasoline was forming under it. :dribble: we were heading north through a police check point and couldn't turn around to offer help, traffic was a mess, there was a fire burning along the highway just north of the broken BMW, a powerline above and and oil tank truck in the middel of the fire, and no one was fighting the fire. No one. :unsure: It looks like it had been burning for most of the day. I'm not sure the rider was happy with his new bike. :angry2:

Latest posts