Kathy's Bag Liners for the FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William England

Reaction score
Been seeing the Kathy's bag liners on the BMW set for years; she's apparently now making bags liners for the FJR1300.

kathys-bag-in-fjr1300-case-lores2__28389_std.jpg

https://kathysjourneydesigns.com/products/Kathy%27s-inner-saddlebag-liners-for-Yamaha-FJR1300-cases.html

Just a 1000d cordura bag, designed to fit in all the nooks and crannies in the FJR sidecase. Anyone used them? Reviews?

Thanks,

Will

From the photos, I like the duel zippers and the strap reinforcement all the way around the bags...

and they also have top case bags available. Hmmm...(?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if this "up grade" would be worth a $100. since my original equipment bags do the job.

If someone is without bags it might be worth looking in to.

Also a long time Kathy's bag user, have added the top case bag to my FJR farkles. They are excellent quality bags!!

Over the years, I've had 3 sets of side-bag liners, and each one of them failed with the well-known seam-split problem. (All three were in 'never-used' condition when I started with them.) I've tried other general purpose bags, but it can be a hassle trying to get those bags loaded into the side-bags, and get everything tucked up just right so the lid closes properly.

I just ordered a set of these bags from Kathy's. I'll let you know how they work out once they arrive.

Over the years, I've had 3 sets of side-bag liners, and each one of them failed with the well-known seam-split problem. (All three were in 'never-used' condition when I started with them.) I've tried other general purpose bags, but it can be a hassle trying to get those bags loaded into the side-bags, and get everything tucked up just right so the lid closes properly.
I just ordered a set of these bags from Kathy's. I'll let you know how they work out once they arrive.
Interesting. Have been using the OEM Yammie bags for nearly 10 years now with no problems whatsoever.

I like the idea of being able to unzip in completely around the bag vs the top zippers of the OEM bags.

I wonder how tight you can stuff them? Are the seams sturdy enough to not allow expansion to make them too big?

I like the idea of being able to unzip in completely around the bag vs the top zippers of the OEM bags.
I wonder how tight you can stuff them? Are the seams sturdy enough to not allow expansion to make them too big?
Adam, you can stuff those bags as tight as you want and they'll not blow out the seams! I have a set that I bought for my RT that work just fine on my FJR and a set I bought for my R1100GS that work just great on my F800GS, the oldest bag set from Kathy's is 12 years old and the newest is 6 years old; they wear like iron, I highly recommend!

I've always wondered why there are complaints about the OEM bags. I guess I may find out someday... then again, maybe not. I've had mine since '04 with no issues.

Interesting. Have been using the OEM Yammie bags for nearly 10 years now with no problems whatsoever.
Yup !! Mine are also well used with no problems at all.

Over the years, I've had 3 sets of side-bag liners, and each one of them failed with the well-known seam-split problem.
I never knew there was a "well-known" seam split problem. Thought only I knew about it.
smile.png
I've had seams split on at least two of the four side case bags I own--still have the two from my wrecked bike. Like a lot of OEM parts--and a lot of after-market parts too--I think they're badly overpriced. So when the seams split, I fixed them. OK, my wife fixed them, but if she didn't have some sewing machine skills, I'd have taken them to a shoe repair shop and had them fixed for just a few bucks. Under ten, for sure, and probably less. Those guys have heavy duty machines, heavy thread, and pretty amazing fix-it skills. I've had shoe shops fix a wide variety of things for me, way beyond just shoes and boots. I'm sure an upholstery shop could do the same.

DO NOT toss your old side case liner bags. They can be fixed easily, good as new.

Last edited by a moderator:
We just use a backpack the size of the saddle bags.... Canadian(s are cheap bastards.) FJR's never came with liners...
Fixed for truthfulness.
Those cheap backpacks even worked in the saddle bags of the BMW I rented. Mike what did you use???? your FJR bag liners?

No Canadian FJR came with bag liners.... They only put them in the American models.... I'd say more but I don't paint everyone with the same brush...