Keeping my bike home with me this winter.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT 384

Reaction score
Its been a real good summer up here in the north. I even got my Bride to take the Motorcycle Safety Course and now she's driving a 2009 GSX 650 F. :yahoo:

Last year I put my bike in stoage because of no room in the shed, and it was a heated place and cost 250 bucks for the winter. So I was in for 500 bucks for this year, and I thought I should look into something better.

Well I did some searching on the web and started to look at car lifts, the only problem was amount of room they take up with the four posts .

Well I found a lift called Loft-it, man I was hooked. The lift mounts to the wall and there are no posts. It has a 110 plug and a lockable switch.

I built a room on the shed to put all the tool boxes in and made room for the lift. I drove to Toronto and pick it up and the next day I put it to gether. Man what a sweet thing to have . :dribble:

I will be parking one bike over the other this winter and the toys will be staying home where I can keep a eye on them this winter .

I will try to post some pic tonight after work if anyone wants to have a peek. O the price was $2800 bucks so it will take 6 years to get my money back , but thats only miner knowing the toys are here with me is well worth it.

JT

I built a room on the shed to put all the tool boxes in and made room for the lift. <snip>
Why, they wont fit in the house???
Hey, I noticed my FJR's too wide to fit up the path and through my front door, but then I discovered I can RIDE it through the double back door! That's FUN! Answering all the hairy eyeballs and frowny-faces with "It's MY house, bitches!" is even more fun.

EDIT: And please post pics! I went to loft-it.com and their site sucks for looking at their product.

Last edited by a moderator:
How did it cost you $2800? The site says $1995 for the deluxe model (the only one they have...I guess calling it deluxe is better than calling it the POS model). I would guess that you paid $139 for the mc ramp...but they don't really charge 20% sales tax do they?

I too wanna see pics of it though.

Hey, I noticed my FJR's too wide to fit up the path and through my front door, but then I discovered I can RIDE it through the double back door! That's FUN! Answering all the hairy eyeballs and frowny-faces with "It's MY house, bitches!" is even more fun.
Back in my "wild" bachelor days, I always looked for anyplace I lived to be able to get my bike through the door. When I moved to Florida ('88) I bought an old "cracker" house that I could just get the bike I had then through to a little front room. A couple of yrs later, I bought a touring bike, and the extra width wouldn't fit. So, I installed double doors, problem fixed. The front room was known as "The scooter room"!

Of course, then I met the wife and it was still no problem. She moved in, still no problem. We got married, it was a problem, but I still did it. We built the new house, and no more bikes in the house but I do have a great garage now I didn't before; jeez, life moves on.........

Of course, then I met the wife and it was still no problem. She moved in, still no problem. We got married, it was a problem
I always gotta say What... The... ****... is up with this shit?

For example, I have a friend that's been into bikes AND HAS BEEN RACING (which I don't do) since high school. His (ex-)wife met him and knew him in high school, so she's got no excuse saying "I didn't know motorcycles were important to you" - it'd be like telling Nicky Hayden to stop racing.

But she did.

So she said "it's me or the bikes!!" (not just the racing) and he said "don't let the door hit you in the ass!" and THEN she was all "but think of the chilllllllldreeeennnnn!" (which she pulled only after her bluff was called, she obviously didn't give a damn about the kids before)

I'd be "sweetie, if you don't want bikes in the house, YOU pay for the air-conditioned garage!" - either that or she better suck cock REALLY UNBELIEVABLY well, be rich enough to support me in the style I'd like to be accustomed, and look like Paris Hilton to boot. (EDIT: I guess the "great garage" covers that...)

Sorry... This is a sore point with me because I've seen it so many times. I also know 3 friends that won't get married because of stuff like this, and one of them won't even let his girlfriend live in the house, he made her buy the house across the street, even though they've been dating for 17 years now. (EDIT: he doesn't want her to have grounds for a common-law marriage)

Anyway, I started parking my bikes indoors in college when the bike theft rings kept making the rounds of student housing subdivisions. Parking it near the door where I could lock it was a fire hazard. Parking it INSIDE was not. Whatever.

I've posted this before. Only have a carport, so when winter sets in......

010.jpg

Of course, then I met the wife and it was still no problem. She moved in, still no problem. We got married, it was a problem
I always gotta say What... The... ****... is up with this shit? <snip>

I'd be "sweetie, if you don't want bikes in the house, YOU pay for the air-conditioned garage!" <snip>

Sorry... This is a sore point with me because I've seen it so many times. I also know 3 friends that won't get married because of stuff like this <snip>
Well, it's not that bad really; first off, in my old house that I had bought and she moved into - while she didn't really want the bike in the house, I had been doing it and to be honest, the "scooter room" really wasn't good for much else the way I had it set up. PLUS, she had a house too that she sold and it went into our "general fund", which led to........

The house we built in '02; WITH an air conditioned garage. The house under air is 1500 sq. ft, and the garage is 1500 sq ft - plus we have another ~750 sq ft under truss that will be enclosed one of these days and will become a game room (pool table, bar, big screen TV) and overflow MC parking. All this on 2 acres of quiet country near beautiful Downtown Mims, FL!

While getting married does impact a bachelor lifestyle, if done right it's a pretty good deal IMO as I'm so grumpy these days I've run off most of my "normal" friends, butt I still have my lovely wife and, of course, the critters....

You suthern boys are a hoot. :lol:

I wouldn't care what my wife says about parking bikes inside my house because I wouldn't want to do it!!

Living room, shed additions with lifts... :blink: Haven't you rednecks ever heard of garages before? :rolleyes:

See, it's this special big room with a conveniently wide door that you keep your cars and bikes and all your tools and stuff in...

JT, what's your excuse? You live up north in the land of garages and few rednecks.

:p

I wouldn't care what my wife says about parking bikes inside my house because I wouldn't want to do it!!

Living room, shed additions with lifts... :blink: Haven't you rednecks ever heard of garages before? :rolleyes:

See, it's this special big room with a conveniently wide door that you keep your cars and bikes and all your tools and stuff in...

JT, what's your excuse? You live up north in the land of garages and few rednecks.

:p
Redneck? I'm insulted :p . Well, not as insulted as I would have been a few years ago :trinibob: .

I grew up in PA & MD, was edumacated at Penn State. Lived in Rhode Island, Florida, and lots of places between.

Lived on my sailboat up & down the east coast for the last 10 years before moving out here, so having a carport and a living room large enough to store the moto is a real treat for me. The front door is 36", just wide enough to ride though :scooter: and it's an interesting conversation piece.

Well, first off, this topic was started by someone from Canada; something about winter storage which most of us rednecks don't have to worry about. Putting the bike IN the house solves some problems with the weather the way I hear it at least.

As most of us live in doublewide trailers (well, at least the successful ones), building a ramp up past the blocks to the side door is alot easier project than building a Ga-rage thingy especially if'n ya don't have a good supply of pallets and corregated metal plus you don't have to mow them weeds in that thar spot............

Holy crap I got it on.

Fred W up here garages have gas pumps, and I don't have one so its a shed.Maybe its really because im from Cape Breton and just don't know better. :drinks:

Yeah well, 2 weeks ago it was 102F in the garage (at 3am!) and I was installing the flash2pass, and it was just too hot, so I rolled the wee beastie inside before I got heatstroke. I'm from Ocala, but that's still too damn hot even for me.

Unfortunately the overhead rails for my garage door occupy most of the ceiling, otherwise I'd grab me wunna dem dere Loft-It thingummies! That looks NICE.

Latest posts