Keeping the Wilber Shock gleaming

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamaha1300rider

Reaction score
How is the condition of your Wilber shock with the passage of time?

My shock is keeping in quite good condition after the attack of the elements over the last 9 months.

However, the appearance of the bottom nut and bolt is very disappointing. I recall how they were gleaming when first fitted but now are badly tarnished/rusted. Anyone replace them with stainless steel or titanium?

I've been looking around for replacements and without dismantling the nut and bolt their spec seems to be:

bolt - M12x60x1.25

nut - Nyloc M12x1.25x19AF

Incidentally, because of the need to remove the nut when greasing the relay and swingarm, does the nyloc nut have to be replaced each time?

Can anyone help me please re:

1. Confirming spec of nut and bolt,

2. Whether nyloc nut has to be replaced with a new one each time it is taken off?

Cheers

Nylocs are good for a couple repeats, but since this one is pretty critical, I'd replace it. I also noticed the bolt is standard steel construction, so it will rust. Stainless bolts are not capable of handling heavy loads, so I'd stay with a grade 8 on this-just assemble, clean well with brake clean, then shoot a coat of clear paint over it, and it will look good for a good long time.