Kendon trailer questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillbilly1

Reaction score
I have been watching a Kendon 2 bike trailer for sale locally since spring. Stopped in today and while looking it over the owners wife offered it to me for 1500 dollars. It's not been pulled much so the tires appear nearly new.

Any thoughts on what this trailer is worth would be appreciated. Comments on Yamahas on trailers instead of riding will be forwarded to my wife.

Kendon has been making trailers for a while. If the one you are looking at is the square tube/angle iron model then I think the asking price is way high. But if its the bent tube model as shown in the link above then $3700 is the current MSRP. I don't know what dealers actually sell for. Just a few years ago MSRP was $2800.

The model pictured features a wide loading ramp. Older models of the tube trailer included a minimal ramp under the folding tail. You could take the ramp off only with the trailer tail folded. Then it has to be transported in your tow vehicle.

I found mine used on Craigslist about 5 years ago. Owner said it had about 4,000 miles on it, mostly a trip from Arizona to Alabama. Since then I've been everywhere from Texas to the Carolinas, to Indiana, several times. At least 15,000 miles. Tires still look new.

Have had a couple problems. Mine spends a lot of time folded against the wall so the casters get used. Middle caster quit pivoting and the replacement I found is a might higher so it doesn't push around as straight as it once did.

The trailer lights are mounted on the fenders which are mounted on the unsprung wheels. Have had a heck of a time keeping bulbs from burning out no matter purchase of "heavy duty" with shiny nickel bases. Eventually I found two that work now I have LED replacements sitting ready.

The Kendon Dual Stand Up Trailer is very low and close to the road. The bottom front tubes suffer from a lot of abrasion from road grime in the turbulence behind your tow vehicle. I'm past due to take the wire brush to the rust, then cold galvanizer primer and rubberized undercoating.

Oh, and it will carry two Goldwings as if there was nothing to it. I can get a 3rd dirtbike up the middle when needed. We don't worry much about scratching dirtbikes.

Bikes_On_Trailer.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It is the model with the bent tubes but the wheel chocks look different that yours.

Is it stable with only one bike loaded up?

Like N4HHE said, the bent tube model is the way to go. If I recall correctly, they came out with that design in 2001 or 2003 (can't swear to that) so when you find a bent tube model, it still could be quite old. In my market, $1,500 is in the ballpark for what I have seen these things offered for, although they are fairly rare to come across. Seems people tend to hold on to them, which is a testament to their utility.

+1 to the prior comments... Have used mine to transport Triumphs to FJRs to Goldwings. As funny as this may sound, I notice the trailer less when pulling it with my Subaru Outback when it's loaded than I do when it's empty... It rattles a little when empty... quiet as a church mouse when loaded. Torsion axle is a plus as well...

Rides and tracks well, whether carrying one or two bikes. The trailer I purchased also has the front stone-guard option... definitely keeps debris from hitting your bike.

Takes up little room in my garage (standing on end)... always there when I need it. No plans to ever get rid of this as long as I ride... my son has dibs if I ever decide to sell...

My two cents... price sounds good for a double in good repair.

Price seems right for a slightly used trailer. I have used mine for about 10 years for annual trips out West, typically with 2 FJR1300's. I added a center rail for when I carrying one bike. Plan to leave next Tuesday for Dillon, Gunnison, Ouray, and Taos with one FJR and one RT. Typically leave the truck and trailer in Dillon for 2 weeks. Replaced the tires with radials last year even though the tread was still good.

Mine folded against the wall. Also, no trouble carrying a Goldwing in one side, the other empty.

Red%20Blue%20and%20White.jpg

Mine folded against the wall. Also, no trouble carrying a Goldwing in one side, the other empty.
Red%20Blue%20and%20White.jpg

Yea, yea... the photo shows the trailer standing up in the background... I know that you posted this photo to show off your beautiful cars and your brand new 2016 FJR! Very nice!!!! Yes, I'm jealous!!!

Yea, yea... the photo shows the trailer standing up in the background... I know that you posted this photo to show off your beautiful cars and your brand new 2016 FJR! Very nice!!!! Yes, I'm jealous!!!
Not quite in the right order, but patriotically Red, White, and Blue!
Hmm, curious why I didn't have the Tesla plugged in.

Seems like it's time for an update. This trailer is a 2012 with probably 3000 miles. The previous owner didn't like the ramps that came with it and had a full width steel tubing and wire mesh ramp made up. I don't believe the trailer will fold with this ramp attached but he did throw the original one in on the deal. 1300 bucks seemed like a decent price to me.

I've got one of the square tube Kendons with the narrow ramp and absolutely love it. I think it's from around 2001, 2002 or 2003? I bought it used for about $1200 in 2007 and the PO said it was 5 or 6 years old. I have had two Harley on it and two FJR's on it with no problems. I understand it will hold two Goldwings or two Ultra's but have not tried that. It stays against the wall inside my garage and takes up very little space.