Keyless gas cap available for 05?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But I'll be more comfortable with it after logging a few thousand miles on it under tough conditions. By this time next week we should know much more.
Dang...I made a mental note to ask you about this this weekend, but I was brain dead Sunday. Does the cap pass muster with the BBB (Battle Born Bike, not Better Business Bureau)? I've had enough of the keyed gas cap and this looks to be a workable alternative.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure these are non-issues, but I tried to think of any disadvantages

You may be shocked, but I have some admittedly idiot tendencies...I can't "lose" the stock cap the way it is connected to the tank

I guess if you get in the habit of, what?, placing the cap on the triple tree to never forget it...I'd hate to scratch the tank resting the cap on the paint

I like my Camry with the "tethered" cap to fill tube and my Honda has a cool little holder on the inside of the locking door/flap.

and I'm assuming the cap is tough enough not to be damaged by dropping it to the concrete multiple times

But I'll be more comfortable with it after logging a few thousand miles on it under tough conditions. By this time next week we should know much more.
Dang...I made a mental note to ask you about this this weekend, but I was brain dead Sunday. Does the cap pass muster with the BBB (Battle Born Bike, not Better Business Bureau)? I've had enough of the keyed gas cap and this looks to be a workable alternative.
2500miles over the weekend and it performed better than I had dreamed. No issues on the venting, the functionality is great and there are a couple of things that I didn't expect ...like it now has a taller neck and filling the primary tank further is easier compared to before.

---->Not having to dick-around with a key is a gift from heaven. Just as I had suspected.

This is one farkle that I wish I had done long ago.

I had planned to tether it to the tank, but I'm re-thinking that as I'm not sure I really need to.

So: Yes, one of the best things I've done to the Battle Born Bike.

...I can't "loose" the stock cap the way it is connected to the tank
You're already a "loose"R <joke> by having that pathetic stock cap.

I guess if you get in the habit of, what?, placing the cap on the triple tree to never forget it...I'd hate to scratch the tank resting the cap on the paint
my habit is on top of the tank bag which also has to go back on the tank. seems to work OK. scratching the tank is optional, do it if you want.

I like my Camry with the "tethered" cap to fill tube and my Honda has a cool little holder on the inside of the locking door/flap.
Tethering might be a good idea, doing so was in my initial plans but now I kinda doubt I will.

and I'm assuming the cap is tough enough not to be damaged by dropping it to the concrete multiple times
the cap doesn't weigh more than a paper drink coaster ..it is LIGHT and solid billet aluminum a drop won't hurt it ....but it might blow away in heavy wind.

Here's a silly little reason I'd like to have a keyless cap:

Every time, and I mean EVERY time that I fill up, in the middle of waiting for the pump handle to click off, I think to myself, "Gee, self, you should reset the trip odometer now while you are waiting. Oh crap, I can't because the key is captive in the damn gas cap." :angry:

I guess I could remove the little key interlock thingee as found in my Gas Cap Castration post, but then you'd still have to put the key back in to close it.

Haven't seen many motorcyclists using the pump nozzle's automatic shutoff. They are so concerned about dinging the tank paint, getting gas on the paint, etc. that they manually control the nozzle from beginning to end.

One disadvantage of a keyed fuel cap is the potential for damaging the key. During my new bike checkout at D&H Cycle they showed me the D&H way to open the fuel cap to prevent overtorquing the key. They pushed down on the spring-loaded cap before turning the key to minimize opening key torque.

Haven't seen many motorcyclists using the pump nozzle's automatic shutoff. They are so concerned about dinging the tank paint, getting gas on the paint, etc. that they manually control the nozzle from beginning to end.
Yes, but even when manually holding the pump lever, the auto shut-off feature will stop the pump when the liquid reaches its tip. That's what I was talking about.

And even when manually controlling the pump with one hand, I could be resetting the trip meter with the other.

I'm just wicked coordinated like that... ;)

Well, you could reset it before you switch off the ignition. I can store the number in my memory bank for a few minutes. I always open the box lid before switching off the ignition too. I keep my MPG chart in the box. That damn neutral switch release only annoys me during refueling -- that's about the only time I open the lid.

While I don't like the linkage between the neutral switch and the box I do like that the solenoid release is switched off almost all the time. It's silly to be constantly consuming 7 watts whenever the ignition is switched on. I'd like to have a momentary pushbutton for opening the lid. Press the button when the ignition is switched on and the lid will open. An intermediate step would be to use the high beam switch to operate the lid. At least the lid solenoid would be deenergized whenever the low beams were in use.

For a wattage starved machine it would appear that the engineers/designers weren't all that concerned about conserving power whenever possible.

QUOTE (Fred W @ Jul 2 2010, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And even when manually controlling the pump with one hand, I could be resetting the trip meter with the other.

So that's why you want a keyless filler cap.

When I was young, it would be unheard of to have the igition on while filling.

explosion.gif

But that was many, many years ago.

oldman.gif

On my FZ1 I have this keyless gas cap. You just push it down and turn in 90 degrees to remove it or put it back on. Very fast and easy and I've run the tank nearly dry with no fueling issues. I put the cap upside-down on my seat when getting gas.