Kids?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've ridden with my daughter since she was 8. Now she is 20 and still rides with me. She has always had the knack of falling asleep while we are riding. In fact when I started riding with her I used to ride in dread and fear, constantly checking my mirror to see when her head would slowly tilt into view... I considered the belt thing but was disuaded by other riding dads who pointed out that in an accident the child may be crushed not only by the bike's weight but by your own. Far better to have the child thrown beyond the bike, far better of course to ride totaly and absolutely defensively...
For both of our safety I opted for a full back rest and top box, and a good intercom system. I cannot tell you the hours of pleaure, (and yes at times grating pain from off key songs), that I had listening to her invent stories, characters, give me full news reports about her life or the countryside we were passing through, or hearing her tell me that she loved me while riding in gale force winds and lashing rain.

All in all I think the experience of riding with your child, "DEFENSIVELY and CONCIENTIOUSLY" is a fantastic one if done safely and listening to their needs. We've done trips of 7 x 600 kms consecutive days together, and the trail of memories will always follow us...

...as for straps and harnesses I've never been fond of any form of capital punishment... ;)
+100 ! I could have written that exact same writeup. My experience exactly.

Great idea. In a crash the kid might cushion a hard fall or save your skin if you go asphalt surfing.

My ex-wife used to fall asleep on the back. I wish she had fallen off.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion...If you have to worry about the child going to sleep during the ride and falling off. Thay are without a doubt, no questions asked, please use some common sence, TOOO young to ride.

The belt would be soutable for a slow trail ride on a 4 wheeler. (key word slow)

I dont doubt that you love your kids, and want to do things together. Sidecar is the only option for small children.

I've got a 9 year old son and 6 year old daughter. I won't go out of the neighborhood with the girl on the back, but the boy loves to ride. I just put a top box on partially for the backrest issue for the boy (also to hold the laptop ;)

Gonna have to look at the comm system.

Now, if I can just figure out how to put the boy's hockey gear on the bike.... :hockey:

SOUTHERNMAGE,

QUOTE: >>In my opinion...If you have to worry about the child going to sleep during the ride and falling off. Thay are without a doubt, no questions asked, please use some common sence, TOOO young to ride. <<

:unsure: uh... my wife is 50 and she tends to doze off much more than my daughter ever has. I think the issue is driving safely and listening to your passenger's needs no matter what age they are...

Riding with your kid, dressed in protective gear, at resonable speeds and stopping regularily to enjoy the the scenery or just have a coke, can be a great learning ("bonding" for lack of a better word) experience for both of you.

Curiously, my old Beemer was smooth, but the FJR seems to hypnotize my wife to sleep whenever we drive at legal limits... (I know, I know, "drive faster")

vdoguy

Don't want to go to far off the thread here but what kind of intercomm system do you use to talk with your kids and wife. I've been reading some of the different threads and there does seem to be a few options. Just thought I'd ask what you have and if you have liked it.

devanator

devanator,

For years I used the Collett Comunicator 900, (I think that's what it's called). It's probably not the best out there, but it does work. The only real problem I found was that with extended use the earphones in our Shoei helmets began to exert a lot of pressure on our ears. I'm actually looking around for something else that has better sound and perhaps in-ear headphones that do justice to music as well.

Here's the Collett site in case you want to check it out: https://www.collett.mb.ca/

If you find something that really works for you, please let me know.

Good luck and happy rides with your kids!

Riding with your kid, dressed in protective gear, at resonable speeds and stopping regularily to enjoy the the scenery or just have a coke, can be a great learning ("bonding" for lack of a better word) experience for both of you.
I couldn't agree more. I was at a ride last week and met a grandfather who took his 12 y.o. grandson out to Sturgis this summer. It was a 6 day ride from here one-way. He said it was fabulous to spend the time together...and imagine the stories that kid will have for "What I did on my summer vacation!"

My son is only 2 y.o. but I look forward to the day that he and I can take long rides together.

gypsy

vdo,

Loved your response. I've had similarly enjoyable experiences with my daughters (now 12 and 15) they both love to ride and I often hear them singing or humming back there. I must also add that they do 'doze off' occasionally. I usually give them a quick elbow reminder that they need to be a little more alert.

I love the time spent with them- doing something fun together. Glad they like riding with me.

But if they ever bring some squid crotch rocket jockey boyfriend home, their riding days are over.

But if they ever bring some squid crotch rocket jockey boyfriend home, their riding days are over.

FJReady,

Yeah, I'm faced with that issue at this very moment. I've forced the young guy to ride with me tailing him to check out his riding abilities. Happily my daughter thinks his Kawasaki rotch crocket is way too friggin uncomfortable!!!! And she refuses to ride it any further than the corner store :bleh:

I guess all these years of riding with me in relative comfort and safety has shown her that there IS A RIGHT WAY to treat your passenger. And I'm sure that if the guy ever tried to show off in any way he'd probably have to go scuba diving for his keys in some sewer... (I'm kinda fond of the way my daughter put it but I can't use that kinda language amongst fragile guys like us...) :rolleyes:

I have enough of a problem taking passengers. Aside from a loop around the block, I'd be a flippin mess with a kid on the back-