Kilimanjoro 4 Jacket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knifemaker

Not me
Reaction score
Does anyone have the Kili 4 jacket? Am looking for some cold weather gear and was thinking about getting this jacket. Reccomemdations?

( I prefer to stay in the $300 range)

KM

My daughter has the Kili 4. It is very similar to the Kili 2 that I wear. On the FJR it is warm enough down to about 40 - 45 degrees F with the liner in. Below that I wear a heavy hoodie sweatshirt under it with the hood bunched up on the back of my neck. The only differences I can tell between the Kili 2 and Kili 4 are the color pattern and the pockets are a little more convenient on the 4.

Normally I do not zip the lining in. I find it more comfortable to wear the liner as a separate layer under the jacket.

And if you also get the HT overpants you will no longer need raingear since the Kili and HT pants are waterproof.

I have the HT's and the FirstGear CrossMoto...with the liner in and with a fleece pullover and some thermals I did 32 to 90 last week.

It's a little less expensive than the Kili.

Does anyone have the Kili 4 jacket? Am looking for some cold weather gear and was thinking about getting this jacket. Reccomemdations?( I prefer to stay in the $300 range)

KM
I have the Heine Gericke Air Timbuktu jacket that I use for Fall / Winter riding down here in Texas. In fact, I put the liner in on Sunday for the SUB-FREEZING weather (it started off at 48 degrees :) ) and I was perfectly toasty!

I prefer the HG stuff to the First Gear stuff because the HG comes with upgraded protection (FG uses the cheap foam stuff and the HG stuff comes with the upgraded armor). BTW, HG and FG are made by the same parent company.

Best Regards,

Shane

My daughter has the Kili 4. It is very similar to the Kili 2 that I wear. On the FJR it is warm enough down to about 40 - 45 degrees F with the liner in. Below that I wear a heavy hoodie sweatshirt under it with the hood bunched up on the back of my neck. The only differences I can tell between the Kili 2 and Kili 4 are the color pattern and the pockets are a little more convenient on the 4.
Normally I do not zip the lining in. I find it more comfortable to wear the liner as a separate layer under the jacket.

And if you also get the HT overpants you will no longer need raingear since the Kili and HT pants are waterproof.
+1 on the hooded sweathshirt. Under that I'll layer with a long sleeve tshirt (like the WFO shirt) and a regular tshirt under that. With that set up and a good pair of winter gloves with cotton liners below them I have been in sub-freezing temps for several hours. (I have a Kili Air with liner)

Does anyone have the Kili 4 jacket? Am looking for some cold weather gear and was thinking about getting this jacket. Reccomemdations?
I have the Kili 2 jacket and it is a very good cold weather jacket when used with a decent liner (like the one that comes with the Kili Air). I also have a Teknic Monsoon jacket and it is much warmer, more waterproof, and comes with CE armor. The Monsoon retails for $350.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer the HG stuff to the First Gear stuff because the HG comes with upgraded protection (FG uses the cheap foam stuff and the HG stuff comes with the upgraded armor). BTW, HG and FG are made by the same parent company.
Best Regards,

Shane
This has now changed and FG was bought by another company. Their designs are going their different ways now.

Give me a week or so and I'll answer your question. I have two (for me and one for my darling) on the way from New Enough ($269.95). They're nice folks to do business with too.

Does anyone have the Kili 4 jacket? Am looking for some cold weather gear and was thinking about getting this jacket. Reccomemdations?( I prefer to stay in the $300 range)

KM
I have a Kilimanjaro II and it is a great cold weather jacket. I have worn it in weather down in the teens many times with nothing more under it than a T-shirt and a fleece sweeter and stayed warm. The draw back with this jacket is that the venting doesn't work very well. In hot weather you are HOT. I now have a Kilimanjaro Air. It is almost as good in the cold (Stayed warm in the low 20's) and much much better in the heat. With the liner out I swear I was cooler in 90degs with the jacket on than off. Great jacket.

I use the Joe Rocket Ballistic 6.0 which is comparable to the Kili jacket. The JR sells for 199. Good luck, PM. <>< ;)

I can get you the FieldSheer HydroTour for $140 if you are interested.

Is the Hydro Tour warmer than say the Adventure Jacket?

I have a decent selection of warm to 'cool ' riding jackets , but nothing for WINTER. temps get down into the 30's here so WARM is the key word here, and Waterproof comes next.

That Teknic Monsoon jacket sounds pretty nice, I like the idea of Goretex.

Anyone found a something simular at a backpacking shop that's not marketed for motorcycle riding?

KM

I can get you a price for the FieldSheer Adventure jacket, usually cost +10% +shipping (unless you are local, then there is no shipping).

I received my two (one for me and one for my darling) Kili 4's yesterday but, given the 16" of new snow on the ground (and still snowing!), I haven't had a chance to try one. I can tell you that the outer material is lighter than I expected, so much so that I'm tempted to return them. They won't last long in a slide. If you're looking for something for really cold temps and/or something with good abrasion resistance, I believe you'll be happier with something else. The nice part is that they fit well and are flexible and comfortable.

KM
I just went to a store to look at jackets. I love my Kilimanjaro Air...but if I were buying new, the olympia looks friggin awesome, comes with better armour and looks

better

Well, went and tried on the Hydro Tour, the Adventurer? and a few others the dealer has about. Not really impressed with any of them.

The HT was actualy the nicest fit, but the sleeves seemed insanely tight. Was only wearing a thin sweatshirt, so can't imagine how hard it would be to put the jacket on wearing a warmer sweater.

As a comparison, I tried on a few "foul weather" jackets at a local ski/backpack store. The Titanium Jacket by Columbia has all the features I would like, was warm, but of course had no armour, or was made from heavy "slide protective" material.

Will look around some more, but can see using this wearing a lightweight armoured jacket underneath if I have to.

KM

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but I have a Kilimanjaro (not sure the number, looks like the 4 but it's a couple of years old). I love it, but it appears to be leaking even in mild rain, and it used to be so water-tight. I've washed it, but that hasn't gotten it back to water-tight. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but I have a Kilimanjaro (not sure the number, looks like the 4 but it's a couple of years old). I love it, but it appears to be leaking even in mild rain, and it used to be so water-tight. I've washed it, but that hasn't gotten it back to water-tight. Does anyone have any ideas on this?
Wash it with Nikwax, it will restore the waterproofing without taking away the breathability.

Well, went and tried on the Hydro Tour, the Adventurer? and a few others the dealer has about. Not really impressed with any of them. The HT was actualy the nicest fit, but the sleeves seemed insanely tight. Was only wearing a thin sweatshirt, so can't imagine how hard it would be to put the jacket on wearing a warmer sweater.

As a comparison, I tried on a few "foul weather" jackets at a local ski/backpack store. The Titanium Jacket by Columbia has all the features I would like, was warm, but of course had no armour, or was made from heavy "slide protective" material.

Will look around some more, but can see using this wearing a lightweight armoured jacket underneath if I have to.

KM
The problem with most non-motorcycle specific jackets. like ski jackets and such, is that they do not block the wind at motorcycling speeds.