Kisan signalMinder install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jestal

Reaction score
I recently installed a Kisan signalMinder SM-3 to cancel the turn signals since I am one of those forgetful sorts that will suddenly realize that the turn signal is still blinking long after I made the corner.....plus I got used to self canceling turn signals on other bikes...LOL.

On the FJR the SM-3 works great but you need to pull the entire fairing off to get to the turn signal relay/flasher mounted on the front of the dash pod behind the fairing. The SM-3 also requires the additional ground wire be installed on the FJR...no big deal as it is provided in the kit. I also ran the optional brake light connection for preventing the signal time-out while the brakes were on (stopped at an intersection). The optional running light feature was installed, too, with the running lights switched so that they can be turned off at night (or when the volts are low) since the turn signal indicator lamps also glow with the running light feature of the SM-3 used. Not a problem in the daylight as they are very very dim but annoying at night.

The real problem uncovered is that the hazard flashers now time-out also. Quick look at the FJR wiring diagram indicates the turn signals and the hazard flashers receive common power thru the turn signal relay/flasher unit.....sooo.....replacing the flasher unit with the SM-3 makes the hazard flashers time out now. Not what you want in an emergency.

The fix is easy and right under the left rear plastic cover where the fuses are and the hazard flasher switch. Find the fuse for the turn signals, run an auxiliary wire from the fuse connection to the original turn signal flasher you removed. Continue the circuit from the other pin of the flasher to the hazard flasher switch and replace the normal hot wire to the switch (which comes from the original flasher/now the SM-3) with your new hot wire from the fuse via the old flasher unit. Now the turn signals are fed separately from the hazard flasher and the turn signals will cancel via the SM-3 and the hazards will run continously via the original flasher as designed by Yamaha.

If you are into doing this you will also notice one more thing about the SM-3 combined with the FJR particular (perculiar...??) turn signal switch is that once the switch is activated for a turn the lever returns to center but the switch internally stays in the signal position. No bother as the SM-3 will time out and turn off the signal. If you want to use the turn signal AGAIN in that direction (even miles down the road) it will not work unless you punch the turn signal switch back to center and reactivate the signal. Simply moving the lever will not reactivate the signal. This is nothing more than a nuisance (and much less of a nuisance than leaving the signal on) but is annoying and it takes a moment to realize the signal did not activate when you toggle the lever without centering it again. I do not know how to correct this as the internal parts of the switch can't be modified to center the switch each time without turning the signal off immediately. If anyone has read this far and has any ideas I am all ears......minor point but in the endless pursuit of perfection....LOL.

My only addition to this thread is a question, not an idea.

Is the SM-3 time-based only? And if you're stuck at a particularly long light, can it timeout on you?

EDIT: Nevermind...took a look at Kisan's website and go the info

Last edited by a moderator:
My only addition to this thread is a question, not an idea.
Is the SM-3 time-based only? And if you're stuck at a particularly long light, can it timeout on you?

EDIT: Nevermind...took a look at Kisan's website and go the info

From the info I have read it is time based but you can feed your brake light signal into it to Pause the timer. When you are making a left turn on an arrow, while you are waiting the blinker will flash the entire time and when you let the brake go the timer counts down and turns the blinker off.

When I installed the SM on my FJR (2004) I only had to remove the windshield, the bracket and the access cover. I did NOT need to remove the fairing. I wired in the TS and the Brake light. If you wire in the running lights as well, you don't need to fix the 4-way flashers--the Kisan provides that function for you. It's in the directions. The Kisan-activated flasher function does NOT time out. I also have the SM on my FZ1 which does not have the 4-way from Yamaha, only the Kisan function.

If you are into doing this you will also notice one more thing about the SM-3 combined with the FJR particular (perculiar...??) turn signal switch is that once the switch is activated for a turn the lever returns to center but the switch internally stays in the signal position. No bother as the SM-3 will time out and turn off the signal. If you want to use the turn signal AGAIN in that direction (even miles down the road) it will not work unless you punch the turn signal switch back to center and reactivate the signal. Simply moving the lever will not reactivate the signal. This is nothing more than a nuisance (and much less of a nuisance than leaving the signal on) but is annoying and it takes a moment to realize the signal did not activate when you toggle the lever without centering it again. I do not know how to correct this as the internal parts of the switch can't be modified to center the switch each time without turning the signal off immediately. If anyone has read this far and has any ideas I am all ears......minor point but in the endless pursuit of perfection....LOL.
Kisan's website talks about three small springs that can be installed in the grip switch to take care of this. Has anyone attempted this installation on a FJR before? I've got a spiffy new '06 AE, and the lack of self-cancelling turn signals (like I've had on other, cheaper bikes :rolleyes: ) bugs me. Trying to decide if this mod is worth it.

When I installed the SM on my FJR (2004) I only had to remove the windshield, the bracket and the access cover. I did NOT need to remove the fairing. I wired in the TS and the Brake light. If you wire in the running lights as well, you don't need to fix the 4-way flashers--the Kisan provides that function for you. It's in the directions. The Kisan-activated flasher function does NOT time out. I also have the SM on my FZ1 which does not have the 4-way from Yamaha, only the Kisan function.

Yes, the Yamaha 4 way flasher will time out without further mods. With the Yamaha FJR switch meched the way it is I have not been able to get the Kisan 4 way flasher function (their "parade flash function") to work. You cannot hit the turn signal repeatedly without disabling it by pushing it to center/off which seems to disable the Kisan 4 way flasher function. Unless I am just being stupid like usual.... :D :D :D

Kisan's website talks about three small springs that can be installed in the grip switch to take care of this. Has anyone attempted this installation on a FJR before? I've got a spiffy new '06 AE, and the lack of self-cancelling turn signals (like I've had on other, cheaper bikes :rolleyes: ) bugs me. Trying to decide if this mod is worth it.

The Kisan timeout device works fine given the short comings described above and I would recommend it as it is better than leaving your signals on inadvertently.

The return springs they provide do not work in the Yamaha switch on my 03. I assume that the switch is the same on the 06 as it is a Yamaha part that has been around awhile. The innards of the Yamaha switch stay off center even when the lever returns to center so the addition of the springs on either side of the switch lever are pointless (and unnecessary as the lever returns to center anyway). There is not enough room in the switch mechanism to put the springs in to recenter the innards without really hacking up the switch compartment which I did not want to do.

Yes, the Yamaha 4 way flasher will time out without further mods. With the Yamaha FJR switch meched the way it is I have not been able to get the Kisan 4 way flasher function (their "parade flash function") to work. You cannot hit the turn signal repeatedly without disabling it by pushing it to center/off which seems to disable the Kisan 4 way flasher function. Unless I am just being stupid like usual.... :D :D :D
I've manged to get the Kisan 4 way flasher to work on other bikes with push-to-cancel switches. You just have to do it really fast.

Well, heck, I'm so fast I can change hands and gain a stroke so I should be able to get the darned 4 way flasher to work.....