Klim mid layers?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash9

Reaction score
Thinking about getting some Klim Latitude pants and was wondering what people are using for mid layers in the cold months? On a side note has anyone worn Rev'it Poseidon pants in the cold weather?

I regularly use a layer of fleece for a mid layer. I just purchased a discontinued Klim Everest jacket that I will use under my Latitude and Apex jacket for cooler weather. If you like Klim you could pick up a discontinued Klim Everest pant to wear under your Latitude pants.

I also have the discontinued Klim Inferno jacket, that I have worn under my Badlands Pro jacket, but now have the Warm & Safe liner, for when it's cold.

I bought some First Gear Mid layer stuff on closeout last fall. Have yet to try it.

The LD Comfort outfit I bought last spring worked down into the 40's with my Klim Latitude outfit up in the rodckies, in Oregon and down the Pacific Coast last summer.

I'm new to the layering thing but picked up a gerbings jacket liner that should work. Added one of those rukka outlast base layers. Looking forward to breaking them in.

Pants have been confusing. Looked for ages. Finally got a pair of first gear overpants with removable liner. I'm hoping these over jeans will work ok. They are waterproof and breathable so im thinking that blocking out the wind will help a bunch. These have armor in the knees but only padding in the hips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday I had an opportunity to try some Klim latitude pants on. Started with LD comfort base, followed by Gerbing liners, still seemed to have mobility, I would think that that combo might take on the cold temps with out to much of a problem. On a side note, I currently wear TPG First Gear jacket and pants and have been very happy with their performance in the rain and cold weather. The down side is the pants seem a bit bulky and the pant ventilation in the summer isn't quite enough. I did try the First Gear pant liner under the Klim pants but they bunched up and were extremely uncomfortable. Thanks for the feed back.

First off, I have no experience with Klim or heated gear, though one day maybe.

I've ridden in low-mid 20's for 3 hours, before it got up to 32 degrees, and I was warm, at least my core and legs. I started with a tight base layer, you know, the synthetic stuff, and over that I used a cotton mid-layer (long sleeve). I have what would be called 4 season jacket and pants (Clover), but really it's only 3 season (Fall, Winter,& Spring). They have the thermal and rain liners, and I put both in, as the rain liner really holds in heat. I didn't feel cold at all with this setup. I wore 1 pair of socks, and only felt the cold at the tips of my toes, but not freezing. A balaclava helped under the helmet, but due to fogging, I had to keep the shield cracked open. Hands is where I really felt bone chill. I had forgot to bring winter gloves, probably because I don't like wearing them, and my Scorpion SGS gloves have tiny holes in them for ventilation. In the Flatistan Summers, those holes don't appear to do a damn thing, but in the 20-30's they become quite obvious 🌬. Having grip warmers does nothing for the outside of your hand, so maybe hand guards would have helped. I think, other than my hands, that I did really well.

Also, I don't think there really is a 4 season setup, at least not that I've seen yet. Maybe in the far northern areas, but not in most of the states, and especially in the South. My aforementioned gear will get me to about 85 degrees, but from there upward I have to put on mesh. Mid 90's and high humidity can be brutal. So mesh helps in not having a heatstroke.

My northern comrades probably have the best advice, as they deal with the cold more regularly.

All the best,

Rob

I ride with Klim Latitude Jacket & Pants until the snow sticks. I use a gerbing heated jacket with a long sleeve t shirt when it gets into the low 40's and only a pair of synthetic long underwear under the pants when its cold. Heated clothing is the ticket, at least in my experience. I like the mobility, to get the same warmth from layering is to restrictive for my liking.