Knee Protection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Reaction score
Last year I had a very minor incident(senior moment) with the FJR kickstand. No damage to the FJR(sliders) but managed to bang my knee on tank. Kind of freaky but I broke a small vessel in knee area which required draining. Perhaps I am a little sensitive but was wondering if others were using (under the jean) knee armour and if so what kind. Is it comfortable? In Florida it is pretty warm all year so not much interested in a riding suit.

Scotty,

I have knee protection in my Alpinestars suit. It saved my knee when i crashed into a guardrail...glad i had it.

standard with aerostich suit. it gets hot up here in cincinnati, too.

"i'd rather sweat than bleed."

"if i'm too hot, that just means i'm not going fast enough"

dean

cincinnati

Last edited by a moderator:
Cycleport kevlar mesh pants w/ knee, and thigh pads.

Er...uhm...jeans (Levi's) aren't going to be much protection if or when you need it.

I think you'll find at least 8 out of 10 from the site wear armored (CE) pants/jackets of one kind or another.

Full one piece leathers with full body armor built in, mesh or some other liner so the leather slides over the knees for comfort and a separate Dianese back protector. If rain forecast, then full one piece 'Sitch with built in body armor and the Dianese back protector or leathers and a one piece rain suit that will fit over the leathers.

My Tour Master pants with armor are cooler in the summer than jeans! And more comfortable. Knowing that my knees and hips (as well as elbows, shoulders and spine) are protected is a very good feeling!

ATGATT!

Last year I had a very minor incident(senior moment) with the FJR kickstand. No damage to the FJR(sliders) but managed to bang my knee on tank. Kind of freaky but I broke a small vessel in knee area which required draining. Perhaps I am a little sensitive but was wondering if others were using (under the jean) knee armour and if so what kind. Is it comfortable? In Florida it is pretty warm all year so not much interested in a riding suit.
Scotty, I use the Cycle Port gear but I also sometimes use the Bohn body armor that you wear under your jeans. Believe me there is very good protection in their gear. Hip pads, thigh pads, shin/knee pads and a very good tailbone pad that I have not seen in any other gear. No one will know your are wearing the gear. But you do not have the option of just taking off the gear when you stop somewhere as most FJ riders do. I use the Adventure pants with tailbone pad. I have not seen the summer mesh version but the Adventure pants are good for summer use and have wore them in 100+ degree temps. Check it out....Bohn Armor. Enjoy. PM. <>< ;)

Thanks for all the info. I have been using the kevlar jeans. Appears to be varying opinions on how well they would do in a slide. My leather jacket has elbow pads and shoulder pads. Kevlar jeans with some knee pads combo??!! Bohn cool mesh with knee, hip and back pads looks a good fit with kevlar jeans.

Kevlar mesh pants with knee and thigh armor

OR

Yes, jeans with strap on (no jokes plz) knee pads.

-Nik