Cold weather low side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
glad you weren't mangled. that's a good tip, so thanks for that. i usually stay off roads after a snow here, due to sand on the road. that too is bad news to avoid.

Some manhole covers have a waffle pattern. Not sure it that would have helped me, but this one looks polished it's so smooth.
i didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express but my suspicions are that I treat them like any other metal surface (large flat repair covers, bridges, etc.)... smooth, even, upright as she goes.

Some manhole covers have a waffle pattern. Not sure it that would have helped me, but this one looks polished it's so smooth.
i didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express but my suspicions are that I treat them like any other metal surface (large flat repair covers, bridges, etc.)... smooth, even, upright as she goes.
I'd agree. There's not much traction on any of 'em. Same goes for the vinyl road markings and most paints. If I encounter one in a corner that's tough to miss, I just straighten over it then continue the corner. But they can usually be missed.

We should probably get the AMA hot on trying to ban them.
Good luck with that. I got an extensive e-mail from AMA this week about freedom and how the US was pushing for mandatory helmet laws nationally.

For the umpteenth time I reminded them that I offered an entire folder of DOT/FHWA minutes, manufacturer application requirements for safe application, and communications between FHWA and state DOTs regarding "plasticized crack sealant" (tar snakes) and how it showed the over application and use parallel to the direction of traffic was known to be hazardous to motorcyclists. Early meeting attendee lists included a representative from AMA.

From the original attempt (back in 1999) to help AMA escalate this KNOWN SAFETY HAZARD, those efforts went ignored. To this e-mail, I simply added that it was clear that the issue they were championing drew more donations from the pirate hoard than real issues of safety.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the original attempt (back in 1999) to help AMA escalate this KNOWN SAFETY HAZARD, those efforts went ignored. To this e-mail, I simply added that it was clear that the issue they were championing drew more donations from the pirate hoard than real issues of safety.
I agree wholeheartedly. While I am a libertarian at heart, and deep down I do believe that everyone should have the right to off themselves in whatever way they choose to, I am not a fan of the AMA using membership fees to fight the institution of new helmet laws. There are plenty of other groups of wahoos to do that.

I would much prefer that they took on real safety issues like tar snakes, manhole covers, slick road markings, etc. Things that effect the safety of all motorcyclists. Perhaps if we had a number of folks write to Dingman expressing that kind of sentiment we could get some, erm.. traction on the issue? (sorry, bad play on words)

I agree wholeheartedly. While I am a libertarian at heart, and deep down I do believe that everyone should have the right to off themselves in whatever way they choose to, I am not a fan of the AMA using membership fees to fight the institution of new helmet laws. There are plenty of other groups of wahoos to do that.

I would much prefer that they took on real safety issues like tar snakes, manhole covers, slick road markings, etc. Things that effect the safety of all motorcyclists. Perhaps if we had a number of folks write to Dingman expressing that kind of sentiment we could get some, erm.. traction on the issue? (sorry, bad play on words)
At one point, roughly half its membership favored mandatory helmet laws and roughly half opposed. If that's still true, it seems anything they do will be in opposition to half the membership. I'd think their best stance would be to urge the membership to write their congressman with their personal views on the subject and move on.

glad you weren't mangled. that's a good tip, so thanks for that. i usually stay off roads after a snow here, due to sand on the road. that too is bad news to avoid.
Yeah, and the stuff piles up in corners, turn lanes, etc. and lingers halfway well into summer. Forgot about that.

At one point, roughly half its membership favored mandatory helmet laws and roughly half opposed. If that's still true, it seems anything they do will be in opposition to half the membership. I'd think their best stance would be to urge the membership to write their congressman with their personal views on the subject and move on.
This is timely as over the last couple of months, I've been waiting to see if the AMA would address an issue I thought deserved addressing - but so far squat. Was going to mention this after Bounce's post but didn't want to hijack the thread too much. But maybe if this is split off, and maybe if some issues are reasonably and intelligently articulated here, and maybe once accumulated it somehow gets presented to the hierarchy of the the AMA (would we happen to know anyone on the inside?), might it maybe illicit a response from them on some of our concerns?

After all you know, we have at least three people thinking like this, and they might think we're some sort of an organization. But imagine if we could get fifty people? They might think it's a movement!

I do like the fact that, in Virginia, the Virginia Coalition on Motorcycling (VCOM) successfully lobbied to have DOT require construction crews put up "Loose Gravel Ahead" and "Metal Plates Ahead" warning signs when they're doing that kind of work. It's nice at least to know when such hazards are coming up.

I don't like the fact that they're spending political capital in lobbying against helmet laws. Were I king of the forest (and there are huge reasons why I'm not), I'd lobby for ATGATT laws. But that's just me ;)

Be safe out there!

I don't like the fact that they're spending political capital in lobbying against helmet laws. Were I king of the forest (and there are huge reasons why I'm not), I'd lobby for ATGATT laws. But that's just me
wink.png
Suppose someone agrees with you completely... and then next week that same someone decides to tell you that "ATGATT" is considered at least 4 tires, seatbelts, and airbags all around?

I don't like the fact that they're spending political capital in lobbying against helmet laws. Were I king of the forest (and there are huge reasons why I'm not), I'd lobby for ATGATT laws. But that's just me
wink.png
Suppose someone agrees with you completely... and then next week that same someone decides to tell you that "ATGATT" is considered at least 4 tires, seatbelts, and airbags all around?
If a person is old enough to make the decision to get on a motorcycle or drive a car and make 100+ decisions a mile that could injure or kill someone, that person is smart enough to figure out if they want to don a helmet, pants, gloves, condom, whatever...If someone wants to hit their head and die, I don't care. It's their life and they can live it or not.

...If someone wants to hit their head and die, I don't care. It's their life and they can live it or not.
But, if they botch the job and only have major brain trauma, the life time of care has to be paid by someone. If I accidentally cause a minor motorcycle accident that a reasonably equipped rider would walk away from but the rider did nothing to protect themselves they have changed me from causing an unfortunate fender bender to someone that took a life. How should I feel about that?

When I ride along and look down at the pavement all I can think of is belt sander which makes heavy denim vaporize in 0.001 seconds. I've fallen and banged knees and elbows at walking speed and that sucked. My V-Max slammed me down face first, though I had a mild concussion my full face Shoei gave it's life to save mine and my face (for what ever that's worth). Me likie my ATGATT.

I'm not keen on any organization that takes money and use it to lobby without the cash cows donors having input to the lobbying. AARP and their major agendas comes to mind too...

Forcing people to do things is not the right way... Education... is the right way... Show a kid learning to ride, a couple pictures of nursing home veggies... or crushed skulls from 5mph accidents... make him or her WANT to wear one.. all set..... but ... tell them they HAVE TO.. and most will fight you tooh and nail.

You will still have some idiots...but then we are on to talking Darwin stuff...

It's just that the logic "It'll save lives" could be carried to such extremes. Just consider how much safer we'd be if we didn't ride at all.

I envision a future meeting of the NHTSA where someone says, "We mandated helmets for all motorcyclists back in 20##, and it helped. But they're still xxx times as likely to die in a motorcycle wreck than a car wreck. We need to do something else."

...If someone wants to hit their head and die, I don't care. It's their life and they can live it or not.
But, if they botch the job and only have major brain trauma, the life time of care has to be paid by someone.
Riding a motorcycle is inherently dangerous (with or without a helmet). Should the safety nannies also prohibit the riding of motorcycles?

Forcing people to do things is not the right way... Education... is the right way... Show a kid learning to ride, a couple pictures of nursing home veggies... or crushed skulls from 5mph accidents... make him or her WANT to wear one.. all set..... but ... tell them they HAVE TO.. and most will fight you tooh and nail.
You will still have some idiots...but then we are on to talking Darwin stuff...

My daughters are 11, 6 and very soon to be 5. My father-in-law is one of those guys who absolutely refuses to wear his seatbelt. His son, retired cop, has told him, I have told him, and our nephew who works with me has told him. He comes up with all this pre-seatbelt BS, but it is all baloney simply fabricated to rationalized why he thinks seatbelts are dangerous. He never wears them...Except, when he's in the truck with my girls. They antagonize him about not wearing it so much that he finally gives in and puts it on...Just to shut them up.

The worst offenders? The soon to be 5 year old and the 6 year old. Two very outspoken and hard headed children badgering, "Why aren't you wearing your seatbelt? Where's your seatbelt? You're gonna die!! How come you don't put on your seatbelt? Etc...Etc" They are the same way with helmets. They were taught early on, and "forced" before they knew any better to wear the right equipment, so it is a part of their lives. My 11 year old wears a helmet when she rides horses...I have never worn a helmet on a horse because I grew up differently. It is what it is.

First thing... I'm glad that you're okay, and my sympathies for scuffing up the bike.

When I was young and poor (in the early 80's) I went down on an Enduro after hitting some gutter moss. I wasn't wearing any protective gear, except a helmet... I tore up most of my right leg pretty bad. And as I sat in terrible pain as the doctor began fishing material out my leg, I vow to always wear PPE from that point forward. I get laughed at by the Harley riders at my work for wearing overpants, but I know that some day they will undersand why I wear them... Ride hard, ride safe.